Amati Riva Aquarama by Ken [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi. With nothing to show on the Riva at the moment, to keep your interest in my log I’ll show you a couple of pictures. I use to build and fly model aircraft, these photos were taken about thirty years ago, ( when I was much younger ) they were quarter scale built from plans and flew very successfully. You will probably recognise the Tiger Moth, the other is a Spacewalker, a small home build for enthusiastic amateurs

i8.jpg

j3.jpg

Hi. With nothing to show on the Riva at the moment, to keep your interest in my log I’ll show you a couple of pictures. I use to build and fly model aircraft, these photos were taken about thirty years ago, ( when I was much younger ) they were quarter scale built from plans and flew very successfully. You will probably recognise the Tiger Moth, the other is a Spacewalker, a small home build for enthusiastic amateurs

View attachment 210667

View attachment 210668
Nice! I built and flew an Astro Hog... many moons ago as well. ;)

Reactions: Ken
Hello everyone. I’ve now finished the painting and varnishing. It’s always a tense moment when you remove the masking and see the results, there’s much that can go wrong and it sometimes does. This time all went well and I was delighted with the result, a good smooth shiny surface and good clean paint lines with no seepage. I added the exhaust outlet and headlamps to give the hull some detail. The nails that the kit supplied were brass, I didn’t thank that these were appropriate so I got some gunmetal coloured ones, these were much better. So I’m now left with just attaching the detail, there’s lots of chrome fittings as well as the upholstery which I have already prepared. I think that it will only take about another week to finish off.

Anticipating my completing the Riva I have started another build log, my Euromodel HMS Ajax a 38 gun frigate which I recently acquired, please take a look, you will be welcome.

Ken

053.jpg

054.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg063.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, Thanks for your comment Daniel, I was very pleased with the way that the finish turned out, also thanks to those who gave their likes.

As I mentioned I am now into fitting much of the final detail. As you will see I fitted the bow protector, it was very awkward to get a good fit as being shaped it wouldn’t bend around bow without some work being done on it, you will also see why the supplied brass nails wouldn’t have suited. I fitted out much of the forward deck, vents, cleats, horn and a nice shiny fairlead at the front, there is even a compass at the top of the dash with a decal inside. I have started to fit the upholstery around the cockpit and sun lounge, as you may have seen in an earlier post I had already prepared and painted them, It’s all coming together nicely.

066.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

067.jpg

Nice! I built and flew an Astro Hog... many moons ago as well. ;)
Hi Dean, When I read through the logs it surprises me just how many builders use to build and fly model aircraft so I'm not surprised that the same applied to you. I also had an Astro Hog, it was a good reliable go to model to take down to the club field. I found this picture of mine to bring back memories for you.

h9.jpg

Hi Dean, When I read through the logs it surprises me just how many builders use to build and fly model aircraft so I'm not surprised that the same applied to you. I also had an Astro Hog, it was a good reliable go to model to take down to the club field. I found this picture of mine to bring back memories for you.

View attachment 211704
Nice! Memories indeed! Mine was a single low wing version.

Coming back to your Riva - Congratulation for this fine and accurate finish
This model is getting really a Beauty :cool:

Reactions: Ken
Coming back to your Riva - Congratulation for this fine and accurate finish
This model is getting really a Beauty :cool:
Hi Uwe, Thanks for your like and thumbs up for my Riva. It’s now finished, all the small detail added and a stand made, I’m just taking some pictures and will get them into my post for the weekend.

Hello Everyone. FINISHED!

Well that’s it done. The final hurdle was getting the screen to fit half decently and it really wasn’t easy, once curved around you couldn’t get it to bend across the deck, got there in the end though. If anyone does this kit I would suggest that you arrange to get the screen to fit at an early stage of the build rather than leave it until after you have varnished. I fitted all the upholstery, seats and edge trimmings and all the detailing, cleats, air intakes lettering etc. The success or otherwise of this build was always going to come down to the finish that I could achieve and I think I got that about right. It looks beautiful, I can’t go near it without running my fingers along its lines, and I don’t have a fetish. My friend is delighted, he hadn't expected a model to come out so good.

I’ve taken quite a lot of pictures, I started with a few indoor shots then the sun came out so I took it outside and shot some more from just about every angle so excuse me for showing quite a few.

I would like to thank each and every one of you who followed me on this build, your comments were kind and complimentary and were really encouraging. Now I feel that I know many of you almost personally and would love to get you all down to my local pub for a good chat, I’m sure that it would be an interesting evening.

It’s now on to my Ajax, a very different build, so please join me.

Ken

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

133.jpg

Hello Everyone. FINISHED!

Well that’s it done. The final hurdle was getting the screen to fit half decently and it really wasn’t easy, once curved around you couldn’t get it to bend across the deck, got there in the end though. If anyone does this kit I would suggest that you arrange to get the screen to fit at an early stage of the build rather than leave it until after you have varnished. I fitted all the upholstery, seats and edge trimmings and all the detailing, cleats, air intakes lettering etc. The success or otherwise of this build was always going to come down to the finish that I could achieve and I think I got that about right. It looks beautiful, I can’t go near it without running my fingers along its lines, and I don’t have a fetish. My friend is delighted, he hadn't expected a model to come out so good.

I’ve taken quite a lot of pictures, I started with a few indoor shots then the sun came out so I took it outside and shot some more from just about every angle so excuse me for showing quite a few.

I would like to thank each and every one of you who followed me on this build, your comments were kind and complimentary and were really encouraging. Now I feel that I know many of you almost personally and would love to get you all down to my local pub for a good chat, I’m sure that it would be an interesting evening.

It’s now on to my Ajax, a very different build, so please join me.

Ken

View attachment 212486

View attachment 212487

View attachment 212488

View attachment 212489

View attachment 212490

View attachment 212491

View attachment 212492

View attachment 212493

View attachment 212494

View attachment 212495

View attachment 212496

View attachment 212497

View attachment 212498
Excellent job Ken! I’d say your friend is lucky, and owes you a few rounds at the pub! ;)

Back