Amerigo Vespucci, Panart 1:84 scale

Hello to those following my build, and again thanks for your likes.

I have now finished the stern house ( or whatever it’s called )

It was made up initially from pre cut ply sides which were then covered with mahogany strips. I then used the same strip wood cut up to make the panelling. I added the skirting, made the upper detailed items from the plan, I added the rails and ladders then I glazed the windows before adding a coat of poly. Job done.

I’ve attached a few photos for you to see.

Ken167.jpg168.jpg169.jpg171.jpg172.jpg173.jpg174.jpg

Hi, The next little project was to make and fit the two column radar structure that sits behind the quarter deck house. It was made up from dowels with sanded to shape tops and joined using strips, finished off with some brass wire to support the radar dish. I brush painted it with Caldercraft occre acrylic, before putting on some doors. I like this paint and the colour is perfect so I’ll be using this for some deck fittings and the masting

Ken129.jpg129a.jpg129b.jpg

Hi, Again thanks for those likes.

The build continues apace, I feel that real progress is now being made as the deck fittings are starting to give it real character, I’m now very enthusiastic and look forward to each time I can get to it to continue.

I have now finished the waist deck cabin and a couple more hatches and skylights. These were a project of their own, they took a bit of time but presented no issues. The walls were made up from ply which was then added to as per the plans. There weren’t enough brass portholes supplied in the kit so for the skylights I used small brass rings, with all the other stuff going on I think I’ll get away with them. I painted it, again using Humbrol enamel then fitted it in place. Lots of pictures this time.

Ken175.jpg176.jpg177.jpg178.jpg180.jpg179.jpg181.jpg182.jpg183.jpg184.jpg

Hi, Thanks for those likes.

I’ve been busy working away on the smaller items that fit around the decks, there are a lot of them and they take a surprising amount of time given their size. There are too many to show the making of them individually but you’ll probably notice them around the deck without them being mentioned.

I’ll show you the pin rails and you’ll perhaps understand the time it takes on this model of what is normally a quick and simple task.

There are thirteen pin rails with a total of 68 belaying pins, each pin has its own brass roller in its brass housing mounted on a shelf below the main rail.

As you can see in the plan the roller mount should be first nailed onto the rail then the roller can be fitted with a pin. Here’s catch 22 if you do it this way you can’t fit the roller pins because the other rollers get in the way and you don’t have enough room, it looks simple on the plan but in reality it isn’t. Now if you pin the roller into its mount first you then can’t nail the mount to its shelf. My solution was to use a length of wire and thread all of the rollers with mounts onto the wire like a bead necklace then cut them to the right length for each rail, bend them to suit the shelf curve an attach using thick cyno. I find brass doesn’t hold well when glued so if I’d glued them on singly I think that I would have had issues of them coming off during rigging, but glueing them on strips I think that their combined strength will be sufficient.

I’ve also been fitting a lot of the small items that I’ve made to the fore deck and it’s starting to look very busy, in a good way, I’m surprised at just how good its starting to look, I’ll get a good photo session in when it’s sunny, the metallic nature of the brass shows up much better in natural light than in my work area, I’ll post these pics quite soon.

Ken185.jpg186.jpg187.jpg188.jpg189.jpg

Hi. Again thanks for your many likes.

I promised a few shots of the overall state of the build so far, well the sun shone and I was able to photograph outside. The fore deck looks finished but that’s deceptive, quite a bit to do on it, even a couple more guns which I hadn’t noticed earlier on the plan. There’s the rails, some life rafts, platforms nav lights etc. After these I’ll start on the staircases so still plenty to do.

Ken

160.jpg161.jpg162.jpg163a.jpg164.jpg165.jpg166.jpg

Witaj Ken
Pięknie, Pięknie co więcej można powiedzieć. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello Ken
Beautiful, beautiful, what more can you say. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Ken. I take my hat off to you. In many ways, this is a painstaking and meticulous process which you have executed to almost perfection. The natural light adds heaps of realism to the ship and one can fully appreciate the enormity of the task at hand. Well done, Sir!

Dear Ken. I take my hat off to you. In many ways, this is a painstaking and meticulous process which you have executed to almost perfection. The natural light adds heaps of realism to the ship and one can fully appreciate the enormity of the task at hand. Well done, Sir!

Hello Heinrich, Welcome aboard my build. Thank you for your very kind comments about my build, they were very much appreciate. I hope that you enjoy the rest of my build.

ken

Hi. Again thanks to all who gave their likes to my build and welcome aboard Peter. It’s still progressing well, here’s the result of the next session. You will know that I had built the staircases earlier, now I have glued them into place and built up their rails as well as the rails on the upper decks. I have also started to make up the brass rails around the funnel deck, you can just about see part of them in the pics, again I’m pleased with the result.

I’m also still making up the smaller parts which add to its character. I have made up pike racks before but never a riffle rack so this is a first for me and I think a nice touch that you wouldn’t expect.

Ken

190.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg
195.jpg

Last edited:
Hello again. Progress is being made fairly quickly, this build gets addictive once into the small detailed bits. I’ve now completed the rails at the bow end and around the funnel deck and a few other bits, the forward decks are now completed. You will need to look closely at what’s been done as I’m losing track of the sequence of, build, photo, log as I’m doing bits everywhere at once with no particular plan in mind, a bit like a mad woman’s diary.

Maarten, yes as you know I nearly quit doing this build log as initially really wasn’t enjoying it, it was a chore more like school homework. You kindly say that you’re glad that I continued, well I can honestly say that I am more pleased than anyone that I did as it has become as much a part of the build as the wood and glue, I actually look forward to doing it and sharing my progress with members and look forward in getting their comments. I try harder knowing that others will be looking at my work probably with an experienced eye, it’s very good for motivation.

Ken

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. The build continues, this time it’s the platform that the two large pinnace sit on, a bit fiddly to make because of the round slats but no real problem. I’ve also made and fitted some small parts but these now seem not worth mentioning. I’ve attached some pictures.

Ken

200.jpg

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

Back