BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

It took me about half an hour to install the parts:
View attachment 457471
Everything actually was fitting perfectly.
The book of the 1st restoration states:
"Contrary to what was stated in the specifications of November 1911, the paneling of the forecastle was not painted, nor was the floor. Gilles Penning had preferred unpainted wood, because it was easier to clean with water and soda."
-A skirting board has been installed to ensure that water does not penetrate into the lower ends of the bead parts.
-In the rear/left corner is the bench that provides a view of the stove in the galley.
-A bench along the long and end wall. The 'stop boxes' will be placed under the sofa. Each crew member had such a chest with personal belongings.
View attachment 457472
- 'De Stee' is placed against the front wall. Here with the left seat with partition. The other would have been in the starboard section. With an open space behind it. The smallest details so far are 3 brackets on the wall on which the crew can hang wet clothing. It then hangs partly in the free space behind the backrest of 'de Stee'.
Everything is put in linseed oil.

It may seem that the bench partly closes off the 2 lower entrances:
View attachment 457473
But a recess has been made around both openings so that one can easily climb in and out of those bunks.
They also used the bench to climb into the 2 top bunks.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Wow even better than the Netherlands football results....Cheers Grant

A very true story...
Good morning Peter. Wow even better than the Netherlands football results....Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant. And to think that I don’t like football at all. Haven't even seen a match.:)
A bunch of actors who, when they tap their ankle, go to the ground to give the opponent a yellow card.:mad:
No, then the cyclists. When they slam into the ground they first look at their bike to see if they can continue. Apart from a tragic accident like last weekend with the Norwegian André Drege.Sick
Or Jonas Vingegaard admitted to the ICU for a few days 2.5 months ago and is now already competing in the TdF.:)
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Grant. And to think that I don’t like football at all. Haven't even seen a match.:)
A bunch of actors who, when they tap their ankle, go to the ground to give the opponent a yellow card.:mad:
No, then the cyclists. When they slam into the ground they first look at their bike to see if they can continue. Apart from a tragic accident like last weekend with the Norwegian André Drege.Sick
Or Jonas Vingegaard admitted to the ICU for a few days 2.5 months ago and is now already competing in the TdF.:)
Regards, Peter
Yep I concur, however I do enjoy the game. I love the TDF. I am a Pogacar fan however hearing this about Vingegaard I have a new found respect for the man. Cheers Grant

Yep I concur, however I do enjoy the game. I love the TDF. I am a Pogacar fan however hearing this about Vingegaard I have a new found respect for the man. Cheers Grant
Yep, Pogacar is a very attractive rider. Also Remco Evenepoel was involved in the horror crash in Basque Country April 4th.
Vingegaard: broken collarbone, several ribs and collapsed lung.
Evenepoel: broken collarbone and scapula.
And Pogacar started in the 2023 TdF after a broken hand on April 23th.
Tough guys!

Yep, Pogacar is a very attractive rider. Also Remco Evenepoel was involved in the horror crash in Basque Country April 4th.
Vingegaard: broken collarbone, several ribs and collapsed lung.
Evenepoel: broken collarbone and scapula.
And Pogacar started in the 2023 TdF after a broken hand on April 23th.
Tough guys!
Good morning. Totally. These are a different level of sportsmen. Any sport on two wheels attracts the crazies of this world, people with an attraction for pain ;) . Cheers Grant

Continued with furnishing the forecastle:
0325 Details.jpg
A: the ladder to climb from the deck through the hatch into the dry hold;
B: the hand pump in the galley;
C: the spark plate on which the stove will be placed;
D: the finishing molding at the top of the walls and paneling of the deck beams;
E: a line where the crew can also hang clothes to dry.
0326 Details.jpg
The 1st version of the pump was too large. That's why I made a second one that fits better. Touching up some gray tips here and there.........;)
For the observant viewer: I removed the remaining pieces of the beam in the middle of the deck. I found that too disturbing and there is now sufficient support from the deck beams. See the insert below left.

It is now the turn of the stairs that provide access to the forecastle. This is also in the middle. Then there must also be a protruding floor and behind the stairs a piece of wall that forms a shield with the galley. All of this must also connect with the starboard part, which also includes a piece of floor and wall. The second stove will then be located there.
PS: The pump (of course) gets a piece of pipe in the water tank.......;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Wonderful detailing Peter. And the scale has been carefully preserved as well!
Thanks for the compliments, Paul.
For you the preview of the 'PS':
.......with the piece of pipe in the water tank.......
0327 Tube.jpg
Not to the bottom, because then the sediment is also included.
(The cleaning will come later ....... ;) .... those macro pictures shows everything ....... :()
Regards, Peter

...... and some early 20th century pin-ups ROTF...
Mmmm ....... , Paul. I did some search on the internet. The first pip-ups appears at the 2nd WW to cheer-up the American soldiers. And the 1st of the famous Pirelli-calendars came in 1965. It would be not 'historical correct' to ad this kind of details in the forecastle. ;)
Regards, Peter

Not sure what else can make us wonder unless this water comes from this faucet! Excellent details, Peter!
With the pump so prominent in view, I could not resist ......
You’ve done it…
Sick

And now we sit back and wait for a working faucet.
I've also been waiting for a few hours myself, but someone ......... ;)

Back