BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

The ship carpenter enjoys and makes progress:
The wall between the dry hold and the 2 transverse bunks:
View attachment 455738
At the front there are 2 cleats on which the floors of the 2 bunks will rest. The dry hold is intended for the storage of provisions for the crew.

Made a first draft for the vertical ladder in the hold:
View attachment 455739
A bit inspired by the climbing holes in the planks in the aft hold. It must be a bit of a fool's test for those fishermen with their wooden shoes. Need to finish it some more.
The dry hold only has access via a hatch on the deck:
View attachment 455740
The dry hold also has a shelf. The ladder helps support that shelf.
Soon only visible through the hatch opening because there will be another wall at the head of the hold and transverse bunks.
Everything is still dry-fit for the time being because I still have to figure out in which order I am going to build everything up. Perhaps the longitudinal bunks with their sloping wall first?
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. It is beyond me how you got those curved inner planks so good within such a confined space......skills my friend. Cheers Grant

Good morning Peter. It is beyond me how you got those curved inner planks so good within such a confined space......skills my friend. Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant. First I thought you meant the curves on the side of the wall. But I suppose you mean the lengthwise outside wall planks.
Just plank by plank with a lot of fitting and sanding and one by one gluing.
For the wall it self:
0311 Wall.jpg
Also plank bij plank, starting with the 1st in the lower corner. When the curve is correct than the 2nd, 3th and 4th.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The ship carpenter enjoys and makes progress:
The wall between the dry hold and the 2 transverse bunks:
View attachment 455738
At the front there are 2 cleats on which the floors of the 2 bunks will rest. The dry hold is intended for the storage of provisions for the crew.

Made a first draft for the vertical ladder in the hold:
View attachment 455739
A bit inspired by the climbing holes in the planks in the aft hold. It must be a bit of a fool's test for those fishermen with their wooden shoes. Need to finish it some more.
The dry hold only has access via a hatch on the deck:
View attachment 455740
The dry hold also has a shelf. The ladder helps support that shelf.
Soon only visible through the hatch opening because there will be another wall at the head of the hold and transverse bunks.
Everything is still dry-fit for the time being because I still have to figure out in which order I am going to build everything up. Perhaps the longitudinal bunks with their sloping wall first?
Regards, Peter
This looks exactly what we’ve come to expect; marvelous.

This looks exactly what we’ve come to expect; marvelous.
True story
Thanks, Johan and Grant. Expectations (and habit) are a bit of a pitfall.;) In the meantime I know quite well where the boundaries are. But as I wrote: plans are meant to be changed. So, boundaries are there to be crossed, principles are there to be deviated from.:)

One 'module' further: the 2 transverse bunks:
0312 Bunks 1-2.jpg
Everything dry-fit, so not yet completely tight. Some small brackets on the wall and floor to help with alignment.
On the inside slats are the two floors of these cages.

With the closing wall on the end side:
0313 Bunks Wall.jpg
An little angled seam at the bottom. That goes away when I press on the wall and remove the slight bulge in the watertight bulkhead.
At the front the 2 'opgeklampte' sliding doors.
Of course they can be opened:
0314 Open.jpg
No protruding parts. So no buttons but finger holes.

Seen diagonally from above:
0315 View.jpg
With the height of the walls, always kept an eye on the sheer of the deck. That the walls do not push them up.
The 3 arrows point to the sloping wall for the other 4 bunks with their dividing wall.
Regards, Peter

A very convincing representation of how the Balder’s interior may have looked. Taking into account the properties of the materials you’re using, very flexible, this is quite an achievement. Okay
Thanks for your very kind words and comments, Johan. Flexibility for sure, by the materials and plans.
Regards, Peter

'מודול' אחד נוסף: 2 הדרגשים הרוחביים:
View attachment 456361
הכל בהתאמה יבשה, אז עדיין לא הדוק לחלוטין. כמה סוגרים קטנים על הקיר והרצפה כדי לעזור ביישור.
על הדקים הפנימיים נמצאות שתי הקומות של הכלובים הללו.

עם הקיר הסוגר בצד הקצה:
View attachment 456362
תפר זוויתי קטן בתחתית. זה נעלם כשאני לוחץ על הקיר ומסיר את הבליטה הקלה במחיצה האטומה למים.
בחזית 2 דלתות הזזה 'opgeklampte'.
כמובן שניתן לפתוח אותם:
View attachment 456363
אין חלקים בולטים. אז בלי כפתורים אלא חורים באצבעות.

נראה באלכסון מלמעלה:
View attachment 456364
עם גובה הקירות, תמיד פקח עין על הדק של הסיפון. שהקירות לא דוחפים אותם למעלה.
3 החצים מצביעים על הקיר המשופע עבור שאר 4 הדרגשים עם הקיר המפריד שלהם.
בברכה, פיטר
Screenshot_20240629_223325_Chrome.jpg
I have run out of words of praise and admiration

Back