BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Those sailors were packed in.
It's more that they use the limited space very effectively. Each bunk is +2 meter long and men where a bit shorter those days.
Could the average sailor stand up in the bunk area common?
Well, Daniel. You have to turn out the bunk to stand up. There will also be a bench along the wall where they could stand on to climb into the upper bunks.
Later on there will be some reference for the height of the forecastle. But you can stand there.
When I visit the Balder again I will take a picture from myself standing there.
Regards, Peter

Just fantastically detailed again at this small scale Peter.
Guess your structure becomes very ridged by now.
Thanks, Maarten. After every step, the floor, the inside hull planks and now the inside walls, there was less flex in the construction. Which is now almost impossible to deform. Even with this dry fit installation.
When I do the gluing of the parts I’ll check the structure constantly by turning the template after every step to prevent a deformation length wise.
Regards, Peter

I love your detailed work on this model - everytime new amazing details - inspirational
Thanks , Uwe. One of the reasons for me by showing some inbetween step is to inspire others. It’s perhaps with scratch building often not what you made it but more how you made it.:)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Such a wonderful build log, with the unique mix of materials and the precise description, with pictures, of each step in your construction process!!

Everyone can learn something from this superb modeling and narrative. The fact that you have (and will again) visit the actual ship really adds authenticity!

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents on this unique build!!!

Such a wonderful build log, with the unique mix of materials and the precise description, with pictures, of each step in your construction process!!

Everyone can learn something from this superb modeling and narrative. The fact that you have (and will again) visit the actual ship really adds authenticity!

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents on this unique build!!!
What a nice words and compliments, Brad. You made my quiet for a moment. I am glad that the build-log is inspirational for other builders.
Regards, Peter

It took me about half an hour to install the parts:
0322 Vooronder.jpg
Everything actually was fitting perfectly.
The book of the 1st restoration states:
"Contrary to what was stated in the specifications of November 1911, the paneling of the forecastle was not painted, nor was the floor. Gilles Penning had preferred unpainted wood, because it was easier to clean with water and soda."
-A skirting board has been installed to ensure that water does not penetrate into the lower ends of the bead parts.
-In the rear/left corner is the bench that provides a view of the stove in the galley.
-A bench along the long and end wall. The 'stop boxes' will be placed under the sofa. Each crew member had such a chest with personal belongings.
0323 Vooronder.jpg
- 'De Stee' is placed against the front wall. Here with the left seat with partition. The other would have been in the starboard section. With an open space behind it. The smallest details so far are 3 brackets on the wall on which the crew can hang wet clothing. It then hangs partly in the free space behind the backrest of 'de Stee'.
Everything is put in linseed oil.

It may seem that the bench partly closes off the 2 lower entrances:
0324 Uitsparingen.jpg
But a recess has been made around both openings so that one can easily climb in and out of those bunks.
They also used the bench to climb into the 2 top bunks.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
It took me about half an hour to install the parts:
View attachment 457471
Everything actually was fitting perfectly.
The book of the 1st restoration states:
"Contrary to what was stated in the specifications of November 1911, the paneling of the forecastle was not painted, nor was the floor. Gilles Penning had preferred unpainted wood, because it was easier to clean with water and soda."
-A skirting board has been installed to ensure that water does not penetrate into the lower ends of the bead parts.
-In the rear/left corner is the bench that provides a view of the stove in the galley.
-A bench along the long and end wall. The 'stop boxes' will be placed under the sofa. Each crew member had such a chest with personal belongings.
View attachment 457472
- 'De Stee' is placed against the front wall. Here with the left seat with partition. The other would have been in the starboard section. With an open space behind it. The smallest details so far are 3 brackets on the wall on which the crew can hang wet clothing. It then hangs partly in the free space behind the backrest of 'de Stee'.
Everything is put in linseed oil.

It may seem that the bench partly closes off the 2 lower entrances:
View attachment 457473
But a recess has been made around both openings so that one can easily climb in and out of those bunks.
They also used the bench to climb into the 2 top bunks.
Regards, Peter
Just wonderfull Peter.
For the full genuine experience you could have used fish oil instead of linseed :)

This is all just so wonderful Peter. I truly love the contrast of the wood with the steel. Per usual, your skills were up to the challenge!
Thanks, Paul. I also do like the contrasting colors.
Looks are almost real in scale. Hard to see that it is a model. The 'kraaldelen' are very authentic.
Thanks, Stephan. The ‘kraaldelen’ gives her a old fashion appearance.
I wish we had more reaction images, the 'love' reaction is insufficient. Admins, please add additional reactions specifically 'Wonderfully Amazing'! Those wooden parts are in harmony with the grey-painted steel! Just Wonderfully Amazing, Peter!!
Thanks, Jim. We will see if the admins can find some representatives reaction images.
Just wonderfull Peter.
For the full genuine experience you could have used fish oil instead of linseed :)
Thanks, Maarten. You don't want to know what that smells like. My mother told me that her father often had to take off his work clothes outside and then immediately put them in the wash. Himself too, by the way.
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Maarten. You don't want to know what that smells like. My mother told me that her father often had to take off his work clothes outside and then immediately put them in the wash. Himself too, by the way.
Regards, Peter

Haha, I know, have been a lot on the bif fishing trawlers in the past. These still smell the same ROTF

Back