BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Mmmm ....... , Paul. I did some search on the internet. The first pip-ups appears at the 2nd WW to cheer-up the American soldiers. And the 1st of the famous Pirelli-calendars came in 1965. It would be not 'historical correct' to ad this kind of details in the forecastle. ;)
Regards, Peter
1720804356031.png 1929 1720804450762.png 1926 1720804517905.png 1920's ROTF ROTF ROTF

Thanks for the compliments, Paul.
For you the preview of the 'PS':
.......with the piece of pipe in the water tank.......
View attachment 458700
Not to the bottom, because then the sediment is also included.
(The cleaning will come later ....... ;) .... those macro pictures shows everything ....... :()
Regards, Peter
Indeed, the blowups of the tiny details can be unforgiving.
Thrilling work, as always!

What we see in this build log is something few of us are able to duplicate and again after your last update I felt rather inadequate, when, for instance, looking at the hand pump in the focsle.
Still, while considering myself a well meaning rookie, there's a lot to take away from builds like this. There's no need to try and copy what you are doing, but... One can surely be triggered by the build process, materials and tools used, out of the box solutions for certain details and apply those in your own build. For instance, you made a remark on the skin covering of my Spin, I intended to use modeling sail cloth, why I didn't consider using tissue paper. Lo and behold, tissue it became, with great effect.
My point being, learning from others, performing beyond our own skillset, will improve our own skills as modeler.

What we see in this build log is something few of us are able to duplicate and again after your last update I felt rather inadequate, when, for instance, looking at the hand pump in the focsle.
Still, while considering myself a well meaning rookie, there's a lot to take away from builds like this. There's no need to try and copy what you are doing, but... One can surely be triggered by the build process, materials and tools used, out of the box solutions for certain details and apply those in your own build. For instance, you made a remark on the skin covering of my Spin, I intended to use modeling sail cloth, why I didn't consider using tissue paper. Lo and behold, tissue it became, with great effect.
My point being, learning from others, performing beyond our own skillset, will improve our own skills as modeler.
You hit the nail on the head, Johan. It’s the building proces and showing the choices of materials and tools. For me it’s also reading other build-logs and put the ideas in your mind.
A example: when in the old documents was written that they used the ‘kraaldelen’ in the forecastle, I saw the grove on one side. Then the use of a scraper popped up like Dean @Dean62 used on het Norske Løve. And other users.
It’s the knowledge building up for years and apply it when it suits you. And sometimes a other builder will remind you.
Ps: For the pump I forgot to take pictures of the intermediate steps. It’s made of different Evergreen rods, some paper and brass for the handle.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back