Belem from Artesania Latina - by Fish & Chip

Good evening,

Here is a picture of the "pont avant" which is foredeck if my english is ok. A lot of fancy again to positionning the elements to be add later on the deck. May some of these will be recover totally by those elements. The diffrenece in width of the plank cause some discrenpecy in the left-right symmetry.

Foredeck.jpg

Good evening,

Here is others pictures of the decks planking. Unplanking area will received part of structure's elements. Now I hesitate if I should make some light brown wash to regularize intersticial space between planks.

White walls on the sides of the main deck are not finished yet. More paint layers are required. Sparedeck is not glued and finished.

One tip I found : one of the edge of the plank is more rough than the other one (new cherry planks). It seem the result of the resaw process. It is really more easy to darken the less rought edge. Unfortunatly, I do not found this behavior at the beginning of the planking.

If I have to redone these planking, I will not redo too much fancy things when cutting and placing the plank with pattern.

filler 3.jpgfiller 4.jpgfiller 5.jpg

Hi, it was a long journey to modified my workshop to be more efficient. So, I restarted my Belem works.

First, I start to continued the deck work. Then I need to redo red mix for the hull. Not an easy task since I do not written de receipe. I repainted the deck deck furniture and equipment with red occre and a little of flat flesh given more vivid and pale color. I also make windows with the PE pieces bond on black cardboard instead of using the white one supplied by AL. It was a mess to put the portholes on the hull part. These were very little pieces. I am not sure I will simulate window in these since I am afraid that the paint will be disgracius comparing to the entire hull (or to much visual discrepency).

Good evening

Michel

deck1.jpghull1.jpghull2.jpghull3.jpgobjects.jpgpaper1.jpgwindows.jpg

Last edited:

I am still in the painting and building the deck building structure. But I discover (too late) the complete mess concerning the skylight structures (cabine access, machine access, etc...). AL inverted the position of almost all of the skylight if compared to AAMM plan. As the dimension are also respectively not repected, I cannot made correction to be in concordance with AAMM plan. I put the real things showed in pictures to made comparison of the right side of the ship(stern side) in the illustrated AL plan. I cannot reproduced then the beautiful ornementation of the skylight of the last picture.IMG_20190706_084845.jpgImage1 strucuture.pngImage2.png

Last edited:

I am still in the painting and building the deck building structure. But I discover (too late) the complete mess concerning the skylight structures (cabine access, machine access, etc...). AL inverted the position of almost all of the skylight if compared to AAMM plan. As the dimension are also respectively not repected, I cannot made correction to be in concordance with AAMM plan. I put the real things showed in pictures to made comparison of the right side of the ship(stern side) in the illustrated AL plan. I cannot reproduced then the beautiful ornementation of the skylight of the last picture.View attachment 315908View attachment 315909View attachment 315910
Good morning Micheal. I went through your log and you have made wonderful progress. Looking back at your challenges with the thick AL planks and your work on the second layer, your hull came out beautifully. The challenges we have with kits always makes us build better in my opinion. To replicate the detail of the skylight on your scale is almost impossible (Some modelers would do it- those special people). I found that I do what I am able to the scale and it will look better on the ship rather than hunting the impossible. A good Belem your are building. Cheers Grant

Bonjour,
Belle présentation de la boîte et de la construction de ce beau trois mâts, j'ai eu la chance de le visiter il y a quelques années à Nice (France) ! bonne continuation.

Thanks Grant for your appreciation, I hope I can show more pictures of my progress soon. But there is so many small parts to prepare before.

Merci Bosco. Je trouve tout de même que c'est un très beau navire, vous êtes bien chanceux d'avoir pu le visiter.

Good evening,

There is a few pictures of my deck building. Window have to be done with the transparrent acrylic provided. Some glitch will have to be repair on the deck planking for adjusments too. Everything is dry fit. Much more to put on the deck before gluing. So much painting for a not too visible structure when instal LOL.

20220701_213552_00.jpeg20220701_213616_00.jpeg20220701_213641_00.jpeg

20220701_213547_00.jpeg

After viewing the recent video on glues by Ms. Olha Batchvarov, I understand now why my first deck planking tinting was a flop. CA glue is the causes. I will never do it the same way in the futur.