Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Thank you for all the likes. You all are too kind.

The kit comes with a cradle. The base is only about 2mm thick. Therefore I attached the base onto a heavier board to make more sturdy.

It is now time to install X1, X2, X3, X4 and X5. They are very short pieces that decorate the bow. Those pics will be shown later.

F2728D30-CED0-4027-B8C6-65B85206D7DE.jpeg

Decorative molding at Bow. Not sure if this has a real name or not.
thought the cathead was intended to keep anchor clear of the side of the ship while it was lifted out of the water, it still tended to swing inwards while it was being pulled up by the fish tackle. The flukes and bills of an anchor could do considerable damage to a wood hull so some protection was needed. This was provided by the bolster and lining. On the smaller ships, especially Brigs, Schooners, and Cutters with less than three masts there used lining and no need for billboards. The bolster was introduced in the middle of the Eighteenth Century. It was a thicker, more permanent timber some of which are decoratively carved. In short, they called the anchor pillow. ;)

Jim´s explanation is completely right - it was especially on the planks above the wales up to the top of the rail, and in the same thickness like the wales. It was for the protection of the planking, and especially for the edges of the thicker stuff like the wales

At the Belle Poule it was, my personal opinion also for decoration, because it was too short (end is shorter than the length of an anchor hanging at the cathead)
la-belle-poule-fregate-1765.jpg la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (1).jpg

Here are some other examples

Screenshot 2022-08-03 125951.png Screenshot 2022-08-03 130528.png

Screenshot 2022-08-03 130721.png

Jim´s explanation is completely right - it was especially on the planks above the wales up to the top of the rail, and in the same thickness like the wales. It was for the protection of the planking, and especially for the edges of the thicker stuff like the wales

At the Belle Poule it was, my personal opinion also for decoration, because it was too short (end is shorter than the length of an anchor hanging at the cathead)
View attachment 321511 View attachment 321510

Here are some other examples

View attachment 321512 View attachment 321513

View attachment 321514
Uwek, your are our onsite Wikipedia for all things naval! :p:eek:

MAJOR PROBLEM THAT I AM WORKING ON NOW.

EDIT: THE DECORATIVE MOLDING HAS BEEN REMOVED AS IT WAS INSTALLED IN THE WRONG LOCATION !!!!

I might have to make these parts from scratch as they are almost non-usable - what a HUGE mistake and oversight on my part. I am in the process of removing these moldings and installing them in the correct place. It has taken over an hour just to remove one side as unfortunately, I used CA glue. It is a mess.

planking-36.jpg

this is not too bad, but the planking is going to have to be "built up" some.

planking-35.jpg

January 7, 2022 9:00 PM

Today, with a little excitement and a lot of apprehensions, I am now proceeding with Sail & Sail's Model of the Belle Poule. I say apprehension due to the fact of a few models in the past gave me at times unpleasant experiences. I hope that this one proves to be different. I believe that it could have the potential. So join me if you wish into this new adventure as the shipyard prepares the necessary tools to create a model that hopefully will be a refreshing experience.

The first picture is just a peek into the core contents for now. More images of the contents will unfold as time goes and permits.
Hallo my friend
Dear @Donnie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special DAY

Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday Donnie - may you have a year full of health and more time to devote to your hobbies.

Dear Donnie
happy birthday Birthday-Cake, wish you all the best , health and happiness :D

Back