Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Thank you Ken.

I have one more that I left out - to show. It will need a little more touchup. But, it does seem that the repair was ok. This is the worst side. The image looks a little "cartoonish" as I had to increase the sharpness - due to camera exposure and focus not being the best.

planking-44.jpg

Nice work Donnie! Looks good as new a little wood filler makes a big difference. The Belle Poul will be a fine addition to your fleet.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have moved on to the next major step and that is installing the "Z" parts. They will have the DECORATIVE MOLDING plate #2 used on all of these. It is important to have the strips and plate oriented in the correct fashion. The plans DO NOT show the decoration (moldings) - using the color images on the back of the book, I believe that I have come to the conclusion of how the moldings should be set.

The "Z" parts.

planking-47.jpg

The molding plate using #2

planking-46.jpg

Final results so far. (the grain is not too forgiving as the decorations are rather rough. This might can be smoothed out with fine grit later).

planking-45.jpg

I am not sure how much experience you have with the profilers. However I learned it is very important to go in the direction the grain lays down. Otherwise it lifts the grain, and the profiler, and results in a rough and inconsistent depth profile. Multiple passes and going with the grain ensures a good result. ;)

Dean that is correct as I am finding out the hard way I guess.

So, the latest is continuing the use of the "profiler" (which is the best term I have heard - from Dean). There is a considerable amount to do. The image below just shows the orientation of the profile as it is installed on the hull.

planking-48.jpg

planking-49.jpg

So, the latest is continuing the use of the "profiler" (which is the best term I have heard - from Dean). There is a considerable amount to do. The image below just shows the orientation of the profile as it is installed on the hull.

Great result Donnie! ;)

thank you all for the compliments - you all are too nice. Well, moving forward with the profile strips. The strip right below the handrail is "Y" strips which are two of them. The strip at the bottom right above the Cannon Ports are "Z" strips.

That "Z" strip at the AFT of midship is all ONE strip even though it has notches in it. The best way is to profile that strip BEFORE cutting out the notches which should be evident. These strips are already brittle and a few broke, but the repair is nearly unnoticeable.

The "Gap" between the profile strips will have Planking Strip #1 and will fit in between the Y and Z strips. The #1 strip should be painted first (MHO) and then glued in due to the tight fit.

planking-50.jpg

Great repair work and install of profiled rails.

One of the greatest secrets is if you don't tell us of your mistakes, your good enough of a modeler now most of us would never notice or know of them until you point them out after the repairs you have completed.

I am sure she will be a prize winning ship when outfitted and rigged as final completion. Can't wait to see those photos down the road. :D:eek:

Donnie, what is the tool your using to create the moulding? Thx, Paul

Donnie, what is the tool your using to create the moulding? Thx, Paul
I hope Donnie wouldn't mind answering you. The scraper comes with a kit. It comes in different shapes for different decorations of the stage.

Image cortecy of Donnie, in the above post.
1662225838875.png

Back