That’s pretty fast work, Jodie!I think this is pretty much ready for the next deck to be attached above. Before I do that I wanted to consider maybe adding a few more items, and also figure out what I need to do with the wires going to the back lantern. I decided this would be one of those place I should stop and think about it a bit before I close it up.
View attachment 218776
View attachment 218777
So I mounted the aft deck which shows how far off the front of the captain’s cabin is. I decided to just fix the small gaps instead of trying to adjust the completed work. I also drilled 3 holes in the deck to bring the wires for the rear lanterns through. I placed the upper side parts on temporarily to figure out where to drill the holes.
View attachment 218778
If I had seen this how these fit together before I built it I would have used the upper deck to shape the side pieces. Good tip for anyone building this kit that hasn’t gotten this far.
View attachment 218779
Here’s the port side with a filler piece and the last of the thin plywood pieces.
View attachment 218780
And the starboard side after filling it in and trimming the plywood to fit around it.
View attachment 218781
The next thing I needed to do was add the sides and stern above the captain’s cabin area. There are six parts in the photo below. The two thin plywood sides 2 sides made from walnut and the two aft pieces. I soaked the two stern pieces and arched them with a curling iron. My sides were closer together than the width across the new side walls. I used my disk sander to angle the ends of the back piece and make a angled notch on each side piece. Unfortunately I didn’t get a photo of that. Here’s all of the parts clamped in place.
View attachment 218782
View attachment 218783
In the photo below you can see the notch I cut in the top of the thicker side piece for the back part to set into. After this dried I drilled three holes through the top aft walnut piece for the magnet wires going to the three lanterns on the rear. The photos in the manual are pretty comical in relation to figuring out how these should be routed. There are photos where they look like they go to the rear, and even one where it appears the upper deck is in place and planked but the wires look like they are going through the front of the cabin. This arrangement made sense to me so I went with it.
View attachment 218784
Here’s another good tip if you haven’t gotten this far. The arched pieces in the photo below are grouped together, there are about 8 of them. The manual shows them in place with a bunch of filler plastered on them. I thought the photo was just of a layer of planking. If I had realized these were in the kit I would have used them to bend the stern parts to a matching radius. As it is, I was pretty close but had to clamp them in. There is also a note in the manual that says to run the wires for the lanterns through the groove in the back of these parts. I think running the wires separate will make it easier to hook up the lanterns.
View attachment 218785
So I painted the outside black in preparation for the rest of the planking.
View attachment 218786
View attachment 218787
I got to the point above on a Friday night and kind of went planking crazy on Saturday and Sunday. I thought I had taken some photos before the point below but I guess I just got lost having so much fun I forgot about it.
I started staining the newly added planking and got it a lot darker than I had intended originally. After over doing about 5 percent of it I decided I couldn’t take it off so I just made the whole upper portion much darker. I really like the effect it came out with.
View attachment 218788
View attachment 218789
View attachment 218790
Hopefully I can get this thread caught up to where I'm at tomorrow.