Bluenose by Mallacoota [COMPLETED BUILD]

Stained and made a distressed/used look for the deck and adjusted it to fit to enable best positioning fit of deck beams. Shaped lower masts also to check fit and angle. 7.5mm bottom 6.0mm tops...just protected the end with tape and spin in electric drill while holding 120 grit paper. The mast dowels are wood I havent seen before, it is quite soft. OK...but soft. The masts are useful work areas while other things are drying. Wish I could read the instructions. Looking ahead to see the hatch and companionway layout to check the deck cutout positions.

Stained and made a distressed/used look for the deck and adjusted it to fit to enable best positioning fit of deck beams. Shaped lower masts also to check fit and angle. 7.5mm bottom 6.0mm tops...just protected the end with tape and spin in electric drill while holding 120 grit paper. The mast dowels are wood I havent seen before, it is quite soft. OK...but soft. The masts are useful work areas while other things are drying. Wish I could read the instructions. Looking ahead to see the hatch and companionway layout to check the deck cutout positions.
Pictures?

Not going to explain this well, but here goes. Dave recommended setting the deck beams with regard to the deck sections..good idea. To do it properly you need to take the mast holes in the supplied decks as the starting point and work back from there. I cut the tenons and shaped the lower masts, and planed the edges of the deck sections until I had good alignment between the mast keel sockets and the mast holes in the deck with the masts dry fit to the desired rake and vertical. This exactly positioned the deck level mast collars in the subframe, and I just fitted the deck beams to avoid the cutouts appropriately while the decking was registered at the mast holes....I know what I did anyway.

IMG_20210609_125838.jpgIMG_20210609_130058.jpgIMG_20210609_201128.jpg

Last edited:
Not going to explain this well, but here goes. Dave recommended setting the deck beams with regard to the deck sections..good idea. To do it properly you need to take the mast holes in the supplied decks as the starting point and work back from there. I cut the tenons and shaped the lower masts, and planed the edges of the deck sections until I had good alignment between the mast keel sockets and the mast holes in the deck with the masts dry fit to the desired rake and vertical. This exactly positioned the deck level mast collars in the subframe, and I just fitted the deck beams to avoid the cutouts appropriately while the decking was registered at the mast holes....I know what I did anyway.

View attachment 237876View attachment 237878View attachment 237888
Great job! The stern deck looks to be a little crooked and over the center line. You may have to trim or sand the outer edge to fit properly. Other than that, it is looking very good. I like the added cargo below, nice touch!

Looking ahead at Henk's great instructions I find myself uncertain about the point on the frames at which you cut off the build jig....1cm above what mark..? and subsequently what height they are trimmed down to to presumably take a capping of some sort. I only ask because both are very irreversible steps..? LOL

Be conservative and leave extra. The instructions show to cut 1cm above the line. I just cut 1 cm above the transition (notch) to leave extra.
51A55DB3-CC97-4A73-861F-4DD9AD4C1D51.jpeg
After you install the bulwark planking at the top of each side, you will trim and sand them flush with the planking prior to putting the cap railing on.

here are some pics for reference...
F971CF4E-11DE-4A9F-BDAC-589211C5CBB5.jpeg44B93F99-A34F-4C27-951A-E3DA89A41D1F.jpegDD956CC2-5ED7-4904-8B99-1579761C766E.jpeg13C3A92A-16E9-4D5A-8EF2-E3540CC53CB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Back