Bluenose II Build (Artesania Latina) 1:75 by Nomad [Completed Build]

While contemplating the making and bending of sails for my slowly-progressing Bluenose II, I turned my attention momentarily to the construction of a bird-feeding station that I could view from the window of my shipyard. It was something of a relief to use hand tools that don't require a magnifying glass to operate, and it also gave me time to try and work out the sequence of next-steps that will see me through to the end of my model.

0750_20220131_bluenose_II_build.jpg

It didn't take long for the lure of free food to attract the attention of the local birds, including some very colourful ones, and now I have something else to look at, and be distracted by, as I continue the journey with my Bluenose :)

0755_20220131_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
On to the sails. I decided to start off with the fore topmast staysail. At least I think that is what it is called. It's the sail that rests on the jib boom and is hoisted up by the forestay. The sailcloth provided by Artesania Latina is lightweight, hemmed, and pre-cut to size although some of them are too big and will require adjustment. A job for later anyway. I did not trust my sewing abilities enough to attach a rope around the full boundary of the sail for the purposes of attaching it to the forestay and jib boom, and sewed the hanks and boom rings into the sailcloth individually instead.

0760_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The rings and hanks attached well to the sailcloth and stood up to a fair degree of tension. I purposefully added more rings and hanks to the sails than were suggested in the instructions, which had very few, having ordered the extra hardware earlier from a hobby shop in anticipation of this exercise. To finish it off, I ran a thin line of clear glue along the edges of the sail to prevent possible fraying in the future.

0765_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
I am following Frank Mastini's advice of attaching the shrouds only after installing the booms and gaffs and bending the sails. This seems to make sense as surely the shrouds would be in the way otherwise? I fed the jib boom through the rings and the forestay through the hanks and attached the entire sail assembly to the foremast.

0770_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The end of the jib boom and the front corner of the sail are both secured to the bowsprit.

0775_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The fore staysail is fed through the hanks and attached to the fore topmast just above the crosstrees. Finally, the running rigging is completed with a halliard running from the top of the sail along the forestay and secured to a belaying pin in the prow. A downhaul rope is attached to the top of the sail via a block installed on the trestletrees and belayed at the foretop pin-rail at the base of the foremast. I hope I have all this sailing terminology correct as it is doing my head in ROTF

0780_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

And that's the fore topmast staysail done and dusted. I was quite happy with the result and it has hopefully given me a bit more confidence to continue boldly with the remaining sails :cool:

0785_20220217_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark. What is slowly-progressing ……. When you are confident whit your results? That is what matters.
I like your first sail! A lot of fine work and it lets her come alive. Now she becomes a Sailing Schooner.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. Yes, you're right of course. It's just when the admiral pops her nose into the shipyard and says "is that all you've done today?" and no amount of reasoning or explaining can convince her otherwise ROTF

While contemplating the making and bending of sails for my slowly-progressing Bluenose II, I turned my attention momentarily to the construction of a bird-feeding station that I could view from the window of my shipyard. It was something of a relief to use hand tools that don't require a magnifying glass to operate, and it also gave me time to try and work out the sequence of next-steps that will see me through to the end of my model.

View attachment 291437

It didn't take long for the lure of free food to attract the attention of the local birds, including some very colourful ones, and now I have something else to look at, and be distracted by, as I continue the journey with my Bluenose :)

View attachment 291438
Ah, rosellas! Bringing back some fond memories...

Hello Mark,
Firstly, what a beautiful bird's feeding station emerged from your woodshed. Those rosellas must think they're in heaven!

Secondly, what progress you're making. The sails you're adding suits the Lady well.

If I may, there's something bugging me about the way the jib is attached to the foremast. The way it's configured does not allow the aft end of the jib to move from port or starboard. It could very well be that your build instructions are entirely different from the BB instructions, but maybe it's worth to double check. If you have the Saga at your disposal, check page 28.

CA1599F9-D9F9-43E0-86A3-FAEEA6E2D656.jpeg

Page 28 from the "Saga"
55FB7133-58EA-41F3-92EA-AF94C0058935.jpeg

Hello Mark,
Firstly, what a beautiful bird's feeding station emerged from your woodshed. Those rosellas must think they're in heaven!

Secondly, what progress you're making. The sails you're adding suits the Lady well.

If I may, there's something bugging me about the way the jib is attached to the foremast. The way it's configured does not allow the aft end of the jib to move from port or starboard. It could very well be that your build instructions are entirely different from the BB instructions, but maybe it's worth to double check. If you have the Saga at your disposal, check page 28.

View attachment 291546

Page 28 from the "Saga"
View attachment 291547
Hi Johan, thanks for taking the time to provide constructive feedback Thumbsup

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean in the diagrams you posted. The left-hand picture (my model) shows where the jib boom is attached to the foremast, but the right-hand picture seems to show the end of the foremast boom, where it hovers close to the mainmast? The jib boom on my model is attached to the foremast with parrel trucks, enabling the jib boom to swivel from port to starboard as required. Is this what you meant?

These are the images from AL's instruction book:

1645131572749.jpeg

With section D exploded:

1645131606647.jpeg

I hope I have this all right :p

Mark,

According to AL's instructions you've got it right, no doubt about that!
However... The jib's boom is attached at both front- and rear ends of the boom, in accordance with AL's instructions. Although the jib itself has rigging, which allow minimal freedom, it's the jib's boom basically limiting any sail displacement either to port or starboard.
If you look at the extract from the Saga you see that the jib's lower edge ís attached to the jib's boom. The boom's sheet is guided through blocks and a rail, allowing to either release or tighten the sheet, thus allowing the skipper to set the jib to the wind. The AL solution gives a rigid jib without possibilities for adjustment.

Kind regards,

Johan

5CC59336-031E-4F61-BB15-68945E991980.jpeg

Mark,

According to AL's instructions you've got it right, no doubt about that!
However... The jib's boom is attached at both front- and rear ends of the boom, in accordance with AL's instructions. Although the jib itself has rigging, which allow minimal freedom, it's the jib's boom basically limiting any sail displacement either to port or starboard.
If you look at the extract from the Saga you see that the jib's lower edge ís attached to the jib's boom. The boom's sheet is guided through blocks and a rail, allowing to either release or tighten the sheet, thus allowing the skipper to set the jib to the wind. The AL solution gives a rigid jib without possibilities for adjustment.

Kind regards,

Johan

View attachment 291587
Ah okay, I think I know what you mean now. Good point indeed. I did wonder why the jib boom was fixed at both ends, although with my limited (non-existent?) knowledge of sailing I assumed the connection at the tip of the boom was temporary and could be adjusted (see picture below)

jib_boom_3.jpg

Well, I will let AL off this time as it is my first build and I'd be too nervous to try and alter anything. For now though I just want something that looks like a sail ship to justify the many hours I spend in the shipyard ROTF

I am glad that I decided to rig the sails to my build though. If nothing else it has forced me to understand a bit more about how sails are actually used for sailing, how they are hoisted and reefed, and so on. Your information has added yet another dimension to my knowledge base Thumbsup

Last edited:
The three foremost sails are now rigged. These jib sails, as I understand from the instructions, are in order from foremast to prow called the fore topmast staysail, headsail, and flying jib. Each of these sails are installed in a similar fashion, with hanks along the longest edges supported by a stays running from foremast to bowsprit, sails suspended vertically by halyards that are reeved through foremast blocks and belayed on deck below, and downhaul ropes that hang loosely along the longest edges and tie off on sets of belaying pins.

0790_20220223_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The bowsprit has a fair share of lines and ropes to support the three jib sails.

0795_20220223_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The instructions weren't clear on where some of the lines are belayed, particularly the halyards, although I'm sure I'll find some room on the many pin-rails and belaying pins on the deck below. For now though they'll simply hang free until I am sure they won't be in the way of the shrouds and other standard rigging that I have yet to install :)

0800_20220223_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
The three foremost sails are now rigged. These jib sails, as I understand from the instructions, are in order from foremast to prow called the fore topmast staysail, headsail, and flying jib. Each of these sails are installed in a similar fashion, with hanks along the longest edges supported by a stays running from foremast to bowsprit, sails suspended vertically by halyards that are reeved through foremast blocks and belayed on deck below, and downhaul ropes that hang loosely along the longest edges and tie off on sets of belaying pins.

View attachment 292818

The bowsprit has a fair share of lines and ropes to support the three jib sails.

View attachment 292823

The instructions weren't clear on where some of the lines are belayed, particularly the halyards, although I'm sure I'll find some room on the many pin-rails and belaying pins on the deck below. For now though they'll simply hang free until I am sure they won't be in the way of the shrouds and other standard rigging that I have yet to install :)

View attachment 292824
Hello Nomad, excuse me these blocks are mounted upside down

0795_20220223_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Back