Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

yes, actually 2 in the captains cabin on each side, and 2 in the ward room in front of the captains cabin, both had collapsible screen panels taken down when they Cleared for Action, so the main gun deck would be 1 united gun deck

Isn't this ship one of those where the walls could be moved to position a cannon in port of the great cabin.
This was done on most of the ships - "Ready for action" and most of the interior walls were dismantled - to reduce the possibility of wooden splinters when a canon ball hits the ship....

Started working on Gun carriages, and blackening cannon for main deck. Need some help on the blackening process, I am cleaning the cannon's first with a wire brush on my dremel, then soaking in vinegar for 10 minutes, then rinsing off and drying, then immersing in Birchwood Casey Brass Black for about 5 minutes. Blackens very nicely, but when I wipe off the residue, it almost comes out brass again. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

Try blackening for only 30-45 seconds. Allow to dry. Wipe off. Repeat as many times as needed to get the color you are looking for. Long periods in the blackening just creates a 'dust' that wipes off. Hope this works for you.
Paul, thanks, Ill try that

Today, added in the Wardroom Bulkhead (does anyone have a print of the actual wardroom? I would like to detail it out). Also the Blackening process on the cannon went much better today thanks to Paul's suggestion of dipping for only about 30-45 seconds. Also ordered some single and double wood blocks from Amati in 3mm, as the block provided seem way to small and difficult to work with

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

I agree Paul, looking very good indeed, nice balance of wood colors and paint - really presents well!

So Today....more planking on the port side, gunports trimmed out, some fine tune sanding still. Full complement of armenment on port side(not shackled in yet, waiting on some better blocks from Amati), including Captains cabin. This was my first attempt of laying off gunports, and after some intial struggles am happy with the results follwoing the sweep of the deck.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Back