Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

Great caulking imitation on the deck, Gibby. If you don't mind, the caulking is only used on the deck and the hulls, it wasn't used on the walls and bulkhead compartments\deviders.
Makes sense. I guess you could say I was being somewhat extra with lol

Thanks, getting a few replies the pencil method seems easier. I will try this first
Hey, Paul. The caulking imitation can be done in many ways. The most commonly used would be to blacken the edges of the planks with a black pencil (B or 1B), some likes to rub the edges with a graphite pencil (not my favorite). Those methods are simple enough and give a decent result. One of the advanced methods is to use very thin black paper. On the scale of 1:48, it should be about 0.6 ~0.7mm. I called advanced because it will require some practice and careful gluing the paper.
I also know about painting the edges, but I never use this method.

Makes sense. I guess you could say I was being somewhat extra with lol
Sorry for the Off-topic, Paul.

We oftentimes want to emphasize the timbers of the wall, I mean that it was built from separate planks. One of the ways is to bevel the edges from both sides. when glue, the shadow from bevels will give that representation.

Just want to say Thank for the Forum we have here and the replies and answers for a newbie like me!
Sorry for the Off-topic, Paul.

We oftentimes want to emphasize the timbers of the wall, I mean that it was built from separate planks. One of the ways is to bevel the edges from both sides. when glue, the shadow from bevels will give that representation

Folks, began planking the Main Gun Deck, using a Three Shift Butt system for the most part will leave a 3 plank opening on each side of the grates to show some beam detail(feeling guilty covering up so much detail). Also, experimented with some Trennals holes in Beams 4 and 5. Will definitely go with the Beam 5 as is closer to scale. Now just need some toothpicks for Trennals.IMG_1310.jpgIMG_1311.jpgIMG_1312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Paul, I would hate to cover up all that framing too! I have seen some other builds where they cover almost all the gun deck up though, so I like that there is more exposure on yours.

Ok....took a break from Toothpick Trennals(only did 4 deck beams worth today), and gave a final sanding to the Star Board side frames and wales. Found this Ebony Stain at the local hardware store, and tried it on the wales. Seems to be good. Also Varnished the Frames below the wales with their first coat today

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 15
Ok....took a break from Toothpick Trennals(only did 4 deck beams worth today), and gave a final sanding to the Star Board side frames and wales. Found this Ebony Stain at the local hardware store, and tried it on the wales. Seems to be good. Also Varnished the Frames below the wales with their first coat today
Greetings is this stain waterbased or poly\oilbased? How fast does it dry and how deep does it penetrate the timber?

Jim, Oil Based, Drys Quickly, in under an hour....but really in the first 10 minutes, it penetrated very well. Left a nice full/flat finish. I will send an updated photo in a bit
Greetings is this stain waterbased or poly\oilbased? How fast does it dry and how deep does it penetrate the timbe

Back