Build Log "CAF" HMS Enterprise

Folks, debating whether to give the deck planks a "tree nail" look. I experimented in the photo with toothpicks as treenails, 3 different drill sizes, and then a light stain. What suggestions do you have for tree nail look? Thanks, PaulIMG_1303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paul, you are going great. In respect to treenails I would go for the smallest one.
With a +/- 3 cm (1,25") treenail you would have a 0,6 mm drill hole in 1:48 scale.

You can also experiment with a heated seringe needle. This works very quickly to make a treenailed look. I used it in my Alert model.
Post in thread 'Hms Alert by Maarten' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-alert-by-maarten.6097/post-147686

Maarten, thanks for the tip, I looked at it....pretty need idea. Also the Alert build is very impressive!!

Size wise the top ones look better. I wonder if a bamboo wood nail would be lighter. I know model shipways sell bamboo toothpicks.

Model Shipways Bamboo Toothpicks 200 STICKS/BOTTLE - USE AS TRUNNELS
Although bamboo is not a desired timber to use as the treenails. If you crosscut flush you will open hundreds of small dots (fibers), this will affect the overall appirance. But your choice will be always preferable to you. ;)

Although bamboo is not a desired timber to use as the treenails. If you crosscut flush you will open hundreds of small dots (fibers), this will affect the overall appirance. But your choice will be always preferable to you. ;)
Jim, what do you recommend instead? thx

Jim, what do you recommend instead? thx
In my post above, I suggested using Birch toothpicks, this is what is commonly used in our shipbuilding community. I mean many of our members love this material as the treenails.

Similar to this

Jim, what do you recommend for simulated caulking between deck planks, if anything? I have used a black crayon on past models to simulate. Thank you, Paul

Jim, what do you recommend for simulated caulking between deck planks, if anything? I have used a black crayon on past models to simulate. Thank you, Paul
Hey, Paul. The caulking imitation can be done in many ways. The most commonly used would be to blacken the edges of the planks with a black pencil (B or 1B), some likes to rub the edges with a graphite pencil (not my favorite). Those methods are simple enough and give a decent result. One of the advanced methods is to use very thin black paper. On the scale of 1:48, it should be about 0.6 ~0.7mm. I called advanced because it will require some practice and careful gluing the paper.
I also know about painting the edges, but I never use this method.

Back