Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

The dead eye rope looks way better. Just curious, does any of your rope try to unwind itself when you make a cut on it?

The dead eye rope looks way better. Just curious, does any of your rope try to unwind itself when you make a cut on it?
I think it's hand made on a ropewalk so it has the tendency to unravel. Frustrating at times. It warns you on the spool. Takes a little longer to use but looks better. Not cheep at 5 bucks a spool though.
IMG_4077.JPG

I think it's hand made on a ropewalk so it has the tendency to unravel. Frustrating at times. It warns you on the spool. Takes a little longer to use but looks better. Not cheep at 5 bucks a spool though.
View attachment 272126
Charlie and Daniel,

Don't laugh but I have been baking my poly rope and its stops (well, significantly slows down) the unravel. I wrap my rope around an empty soup can and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes.

Don't laugh but I have been baking my poly rope and its stops (well, significantly slows down) the unravel. I wrap my rope around an empty soup can and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes.
...So if you are ever tired from the orthodontist job, you can always open your own bakery ROTF

Charlie and Daniel,

You're the man Paul. Only laugh when something fails. Next time I make diner I'll try it.

Charlie and Daniel,

Now that is interesting Paul, I shall try it as well, I wonder if placing it in a cup with or without water and microwaving it has a similar effect?

I spent the afternoon experimenting with a few ideas cutting rope without it unraveling.

1. In boiling wary in the microwave for 5 minutes. - Did not work... Sorry Daniel.
2. Holding it over a candle. Worked well but probably not to safe around something like CA. Scratched that method.
3. Plugged in a cheap soldering iron and touching the rope across the tip. Voila! It will probably burn up the iron having it on for hours but they are cheap. Anyway IT WORKED.

Will give it the acid test tomorrow working on deadeyes and lanyards.

I spent the afternoon experimenting with a few ideas cutting rope without it unraveling.

1. In boiling wary in the microwave for 5 minutes. - Did not work... Sorry Daniel.
2. Holding it over a candle. Worked well but probably not to safe around something like CA. Scratched that method.
3. Plugged in a cheap soldering iron and touching the rope across the tip. Voila! It will probably burn up the iron having it on for hours but they are cheap. Anyway IT WORKED.

Will give it the acid test tomorrow working on deadeyes and lanyards.
Thanks for verifying Charlie.

I found a discrepancy/omission on the plans. They omit the deadeyes on the crosstrees and just run the shrouds through the holes where deadeyes should go.

Endurance 101.jpgEndurance 102.jpg

However, OccRe's YouTube video on how to build Endurance shows the deadeyes being installed. (A screen shot from the video)

Endurance 103.png

I added deadeyes and also some "ears" at the top of the mast as the attachment points for the shrouds.

Endurance 104.jpgEndurance 105.jpg

After watching a vet show on TV and seeing them cauterize a blood vessel during surgery I thought it might work for rope to keeping it from unwinding. Did some research on Google and found a thread zapping tool made just for that purpose. At $12 I couldn't go wrong and Amazon delivered it the next day. Works great so no more unraveling. Problem solved!
AAC_4343.jpg

This is tool sounds like a great idea, however, oftentimes, we need to use the 'cut end' for further processing, like inserting it in the small hole of blocks and\or deadeyes. With the melted end made by this tool, it will be difficult if not possible.
I am using a CA glue: just a drop of glue and an angle cut with a sharp blade. ;)

This is tool sounds like a great idea, however, oftentimes, we need to use the 'cut end' for further processing, like inserting it in the small hole of blocks and\or deadeyes. With the melted end made by this tool, it will be difficult if not possible.
I am using a CA glue: just a drop of glue and an angle cut with a sharp blade. ;)
Amen! That's what I did. On thicker rope like .60mm I had to wait a minute or more after CA before I cut, other wise it would still unravel. Now I zap it, CA the end and set it aside instead of sitting there and counting to 60.

Back