CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

You're a very efficient builder, Paul. You started four months after me and you're now four months ahead of me ROTF. What lovely lines on this ship, and you are doing such a nice job on her!
Hi Paul, that's because you work more on your blog than on your ship, approximate a blog page per frame. :)

Started beveling Starboard bow and frames...
P.S. Dont tell Maartin I posted again......
The best thing about taking pictures of the build is it highlights all the mistakes my normal eye cant see....which I have to go back and fix then

starboard.jpg

starboard1.jpg

starboard2.jpg

Last edited:
Started Stern framing, I am sure youll notice the quickly built jig to protect the stern frames, as I broke these countless times while building the HMS Enterprise. Also note the quarter gallery door spacer that CAF included to ensure frame width is correct. Started minor beveling on stern frames

stern frame.jpg

stern frame2.jpg

Thrilled to have recieved the full internal structure for La Renommee today. Ordered on 6/21, so 15 days in shipping only. Initial inspection of the kit is outstanding! 3 Full set, Full size plans, and 1 instruction book in English, yes.....English! All Lumber and Brass looks great. My initial impression....What have I got myself into??? I have much more detail sanding and some corrections on the hull prior to beginning the internal structure.

IS6.jpg

IS5.jpg

IS4.jpg

IS7.jpg

IS3.jpg

IS.jpg

IS1.jpg

IS2.jpg

Thrilled to have recieved the full internal structure for La Renommee today. Ordered on 6/21, so 15 days in shipping only. Initial inspection of the kit is outstanding! 3 Full set, Full size plans, and 1 instruction book in English, yes.....English! All Lumber and Brass looks great. My initial impression....What have I got myself into??? I have much more detail sanding and some corrections on the hull prior to beginning the internal structure.

View attachment 383212

View attachment 383213

View attachment 383214

View attachment 383215

View attachment 383216

View attachment 383217

View attachment 383218

View attachment 383219
Almost like Xmas!!! Can't wait to see this come together!

You must watch out for what you wish for, the Good Ship Building Mermaids will deliver! o_O

View attachment 383212

View attachment 383213

View attachment 383214

View attachment 383215

View attachment 383216

View attachment 383217

View attachment 383218

View attachment 383219
Good morning Paul. Wow this will make this a special ship. So cool. Cheers Grant

Bonjour, quelles sont les outils que vous utilisez pour faire le ponçage intérieur ?
Je suppose des outils spéciaux pour accéder aux endroits trés refermé.

Hello, what tools do you use for interior sanding?
I suppose special tools to access very closed places.

Started Stern framing, I am sure youll notice the quickly built jig to protect the stern frames, as I broke these countless times while building the HMS Enterprise. Also note the quarter gallery door spacer that CAF included to ensure frame width is correct. Started minor beveling on stern frames

View attachment 383062

View attachment 383063
Hi Paul, nice progress and the ships onterior parts kit look great, especially the etched knee enforcements.
Like your temporary support bar around the stern frames,
But keep in mind the stern is slightly bollow. I would already create this shape in your support bar.

Bonjour, quelles sont les outils que vous utilisez pour faire le ponçage intérieur ?
Je suppose des outils spéciaux pour accéder aux endroits trés refermé.

Hello, what tools do you use for interior sanding?
I suppose special tools to access very closed places.
Proxxon has a nice angled grinder on which you can put a sanding disc.
image (3).jpg

Then finalize with scrapers to get a perfect flat finish.
large_14144874597612.jpg

Back