CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

All frames from 8 to 57 now in. The fit on all frames was overall very good. Now the delicate part of bow and stern frames, requiring precise beveling. I am "Contemplating" taking the top bow portion of the jig off to better access Bow frames. As this will be a Full internal structure model, I am thinking of leaving it in the jig to build the internal structure, to hold the dimensions better. Any thoughts or advice on the use of the jig as I go forward? Thanks, Paul

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

Hi Paul she is coming along nicely.
You can fit the ceiling first, then she will be ridged enouch to remove here from the jig to sand the outside frames.
If you first install the interior before sanding the frames your whole interior will be one big dust bucket.

Hi Paul she is coming along nicely.
You can fit the ceiling first, then she will be ridged enouch to remove here from the jig to sand the outside frames.
If you first install the interior before sanding the frames your whole interior will be one big dust bucket.
Maarten thanks for the advice, I agree on the dust bucket!! When you say ceiling, what exactly do you mean?

Hi Paul,
I've been following your build of La Renommee for quite some time, I love this ship and also have the monograph on it. I can only agree with @Maarten I don't know if you know Patrik's build, so the link to his build, there you can see a few things about how he did it. Good luck and have fun, stay tuned.

Hi Paul,
I've been following your build of La Renommee for quite some time, I love this ship and also have the monograph on it. I can only agree with @Maarten I don't know if you know Patrik's build, so the link to his build, there you can see a few things about how he did it. Good luck and have fun, stay tuned.

Tobias, thanks for the link! I had actually found it on the index awhile ago, and have been using it regularly. I usually have the section pulled up that I am working on. It is the only build log I could find on the La Renommee. Tom from CAF send s me pictures and diagrams as well when I have a question. Please keep the advice coming. I am ordering the internal structure components this week.

Started examining the Stern Parts today, figured out most, but one has me stumped, as I do not see a #, or a part for it, but see it on the plan. It is the frame showing between 58 and 59. It also shows on Peji's Build log. So I sent to Tom at CAF for an answer. Other than that I will be on vacation for a week, so no updates till I get back.

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

So Folks, back at it.... Took apart a portion of the jig to gain better access to Hawse timbers, and Start of the Stern build. Did not like the Hawse Timbers after I took it out of the jig, so I De-Installed them, re tuned/sanded and put them back in. Also Laid a portion of the Keelson to give the Frames some stability. Tommorrow will begin tackling the Stern. Also, ordered Internal Structure from CAF today

hawse 1.jpg

hawse 3.jpg

hawse 2.jpg

keel 1.jpg

keel.jpg

Last 2 days....Added temporary stringers to the inside of the frames to add stability. Tackled the Stern, and what had me stumped the most on this build so far....Frame 57, Frame 58ABC, and Frame 58. I will add some detail here for future builders of this kit. With no English instructions, Tom at CAF and I communicated several times till my slow brain kicked in. So there is frame 57, which is a normal constructed Frame, and the last to attach directly to the keel. Going toward the Stern is Frame 58ABC, which is a 3 part frame shown below, and then after that is Frame 58, which is built from a different material, and the directions are color coded to show the construction, finally I show a picture of the finished frames. The confusion was having 2 different frames labeled 58, but not showing that on the Jig top. In the below last 2 pictures, Blue is Frame 57, Green is the 3 part 58ABC, and RED is Frame 58. Now.....just need to put it all together.....Whew!

stringer.jpg

58.jpg

58-2.jpg

58-3.jpg

58-4.jpg

58abc.jpg

58abc2.jpg

Blue.jpg

Blue2.jpg

Back