Hms Victory by Caldercraft - Build Log

Agree with Grant and the good doctor. Tried Tamiya tape on the stbd side of my Victory and it worked much better in masking lines than the 3M tape. Thinner material, more flexible, better adhesive and it comes in a useful dispenser. Highly recommend Tamiya tape!

Continueing to make progress, not very happy with the way that the painting came out, I tried the Tamiya tape, and the edge was good, but my problem with the Admiralty black paint was that when I painted over it, it started lifting in blocks and removing paint in blotches from areas that it was suppose to stay, and the tap was lifting off the underlying coat in other places. Maybe the primer I used wasn’t the right one. Maybe I should not have waited for the paint to dry so much. The final product is not horrible with a lot of hand touch up., but I was hoping for something better, I will touch up the gunports as time progresses and the final top coat of black will be done when the quarterdeck is in as per the instructions. Time to try to copper plate next,, so I am going to be occupied for a while. When I need a break I will make some guns for the upper gun deck,,,

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No conozco las pinturas que usas, pero si son base agua no se pueden mezclar con las de base plástica o de aceite. Suerte y buen trabajo. Por ahora se ve bonito

Yes, I am mixing the,
No conozco las pinturas que usas, pero si son base agua no se pueden mezclar con las de base plástica o de aceite. Suerte y buen trabajo. Por ahora se ve bonito
Yes, you are probably right, I am mixing them, I am using Admiralty water based black paint, and the Humbrol yellow paint because I like the color and am trying to stay consistent across models.. Another lesson learned. Thanks

All right, here we go,, I finishing up my Amati Vanguard now as my “learning” ship and am now taking on the Victory which has been my dream for build for the last 30 years since before medical school. I did not make a log of the the Vanguard as I was afraid to show my mistakes and was afraid of what it would look like if I didn’t complete it. I will try to keep this up,,, any warnings in advance of what I am doing well be greatly appreciated. I had to go out and get larger clamps to get the keel set up….
Hallo @traumadoc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Just wanted to update,, working slowly,, I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth yet,,, I have been working on the cooper plates which as all know, goes very slowly,,, but I am making some progress, I am probably being too picky about each one laying exactly the way I want, but so far I am happy with the results..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just wanted to update,, working slowly,, I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth yet,,, I have been working on the cooper plates which as all know, goes very slowly,,, but I am making some progress, I am probably being too picky about each one laying exactly the way I want, but so far I am happy with the results..

View attachment 376548

View attachment 376549
Good morning Doc. Whew…copper plates is a mission (the reason why I have not done this task…yet). Looking good and it does make a difference on the Victory. Nice. Cheers Grant

So the starboard side is pretty much done except for a few small pieces at the waterline that I prefer to wait untill both sides are done so I see how many plates I have left to work with rather than cutting multiple scraps from a single piece. Most of it came it out well in my mind, still struggle with the bow/stem transition. (Only my second boat so still learning). time to flip it and start the other side, which will take a few weeks again for sure at my rate of progress

image.jpg

image.jpg

Doc, just wanted to pass along an observation. I spent a lot of time on the guns (30) and was sort of disappointed in how much of that work one can't see as the model progresses. One of the quirks of this hobby I guess is a lot of good work gets hidden, only we know that it is there (think of the hard work on first hull planking covered by hard work on second hull planking, covered by hard work on copper plating). It is a sort of madness I guess. Anyway, don't sweat the gun height problem very much. I had a few near the bow that were a little lower than the rest and by shimming under the front wheels of the gun with some very thin wood, was able to adjust. Once the quarterdeck is in place, you absolutely can't see that correction. Again, you have done a fantastic job with the copper plating, glad that that doesn't get covered up as well.
Have attached a few photos so show what I mean.

angle shot.jpgoverhead.jpgsideshot.jpg

Doc, just wanted to pass along an observation. I spent a lot of time on the guns (30) and was sort of disappointed in how much of that work one can't see as the model progresses. One of the quirks of this hobby I guess is a lot of good work gets hidden, only we know that it is there (think of the hard work on first hull planking covered by hard work on second hull planking, covered by hard work on copper plating). It is a sort of madness I guess. Anyway, don't sweat the gun height problem very much. I had a few near the bow that were a little lower than the rest and by shimming under the front wheels of the gun with some very thin wood, was able to adjust. Once the quarterdeck is in place, you absolutely can't see that correction. Again, you have done a fantastic job with the copper plating, glad that that doesn't get covered up as well.
Have attached a few photos so show what I mean.

View attachment 382751View attachment 382752View attachment 382753
I have to say , I loved your response, as a surgeon, 95% of my work is never seen again!!! the only thing my patients care about is the scar at the end, most never notice how neat and nice the inside work is. I kinda see my boat the same way,, but yes I understand what you are saying completely.

Back