Charles Royal Yacht, 1674, Scale 1:64, by Woody Joe (Japan)

can we order them online?
Ha...ha...ha, I am afraid I will have to opt out an online store, cause my wife will find out about her missing jewellery. And yes...they are detachable, I am working on the ring for the neckless to go thru...:cool: But this should be a Christmass present, don't reveal it until then.

Greetings fellow shipmates! Thanks for your visit and the kind comments. :)

...a Tale for the Whales

Earlier in my posts, I repeatedly promised to lift the veil of secrecy and tell “Tale for the Wales”. And today came the hour. The manufacturer recommended to paint wales black. Since I don’t paint, so decided to replace the painting with wood stain. Used the oil-based stain of the company MinWax. Surprise stain did not completely dry even after 5 days!! I was very annoyed by this, and wiped it dry. I continued with planking the hull, but the remnants of the stain permanently stuck to hands and soiled any surface I touched. I was hoping that it will eventually dry, but for some reason it never did. I have endured for a long time and finally decided to redo the whales.

IMG_2098.jpeg IMG_2099.jpeg IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg IMG_2103.jpeg

For new wales I use black hornbeam (sources from Russia). It is perfectly processed, bends well and keeps the color after the oil treatment. I love it!

IMG_2471.jpeg
Once wales installed, I use coper wire 0.5mmø to imitate treenails. Over the time, coper will fade out so no blackening required. Alone with treenails, I decorate gun ports and cabin windows. I use same process as for the transom and poop.

IMG_2159.jpeg IMG_2162.jpeg IMG_2473.jpeg

IMG_2472.jpeg IMG_2474.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg IMG_2479.jpeg IMG_2482.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

Deck accommodations is next… or maybe it is time for armor? :cool:IMG_2098.jpegIMG_2099.jpegIMG_2101.jpegIMG_2102.jpegIMG_2103.jpegIMG_2471.jpegIMG_2130.jpegIMG_2153.jpegIMG_2159.jpegIMG_2162.jpegIMG_2472.jpegIMG_2473.jpegIMG_2474.jpegIMG_2475.jpegIMG_2476.jpegIMG_2477.jpegIMG_2478.jpegIMG_2479.jpegIMG_2482.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Jim, the wales look incredible! A quick question about the hornbeam...it's black through and through? A quick search shows it to be a favorite for knife handles and even some jewellery. Is it tough to cut?

Ron

@ron0909 Thank you for your compliment, Ron. The hornbeam naturally is not black in color. I don't know the process how they make it black but it is black all the way (not just tops). It holds the color no matter what for years. It is a very smooth grain, holds edges, bents with heat and not very tough to cut. I use original hornbeam for deck planking.

IMG_2496.jpeg
Happy modeling!

I bet that was a job getting the Wales off
@BigMike Thanks for the compliment, Mike! Yea... the biggest challenge when removing the old crappy wales, is to not ruin the hull planking. Cause the finishing planking is only 0.5mm thick. Despite big doubts, cons, and pros, I made a decision and redo. I cannot be happier with the results! :)

Outstanding recovery on this Jim. She's looking really nice. If I may I'd like to offer some advice on stain and wood some woods will stain blotchy in some areas and be perfect in others, you never know till you try so to combat this and insure a good even stain its always best to use sanding sealer first. I learned this the hard way and had to replace a gun stock on a customers rifle. I build firearms and do a lot of gun smithing which includes refinishing stocks and checkering many gun stocks are made of Beech and for some reason that wood hates stain so I always have to use sanding sealer for a nice job. I now use it on every refinish no matter what wood type I am working with.

@epicdoom Thanks for checking in, Joe!! I have been watching your builds, and I am learning a lot from you. This is why we are here: to learn from each other. Your advice is needed and much appreciated, thank you! :)

Ironically, I did use a pre-stain from Minwax it just didn't work. I think it a wood which gives me a headache :mad:

.47996-424d8e8b7c2b6e5141d46d1a5b25a77d.jpg
Thanks again for your advice

Greetings mates. I’ve been busy with my work lately so didn’t have much time for the updates. However, it doesn’t mean I cannot thank you for your interest in this buildlog and kind comments. They are much appreciated! Ok

A rather small update and some photos (as usual). I was really surprised, but neither plans nor pictures of ready model doesn’t show the hawseholes. So I decided to make those. I use brass tube suitable diameter, cut with an angle and blacken it. Once installed, they looked lonely. I found some pictures of similar period yachts and found figurehead around hawseholes. I liked it and decided to make those. I used boxwood and rotary tools bits to carve out the head. For details, I use small chisels. I wasn’t sure I can accomplish this task, but they came alone OK, mention to say, that is was my first carving. They are came alone quite similar but not the same. :( Also, I build and carve cathead supports. Alone with hawseholes, I assemble the windlass. Woodie provided a mini kit for the windlass, it was fun to build.

IMG_2131.jpegIMG_2539.jpeg IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2540.jpeg IMG_2541.jpegIMG_2143.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpegIMG_1988.jpeg

To be continued...Happy Modelling :)

Wonderful work on both the hawseholes and I really like the cathead supports. I wouldn't worry about the hawsehole carvings being identical. They remind me of a couple of Poseidon's minions...same purpose, different character :) The windlass mini kit almost looks like one of the Master Korabel mini kits. I guess there are only so many ways one can make a windlass!

Ron

Hi Jim

Just loving your build.
Can you tell me what site did you get the black hornbeam from, I would like some.

Denis.

Last edited:
@DenisR Thanks you for nice comments. Please let me know what color hornbeam you would like. The black color is chemically made and is not available here in the US. I ordered from Russian Federation. This one-man shop. The wood is not expensive, but the shipping cost a bit pricey. If you interested I will give you contact email. Natural hornbeam I purchased here at http://www.dlumberyard.com/ :)

Back