Corona Virus???

We didn't "panic buy" anything, but stayed in as suggested. When I went out for the weekly shop, there was hardly anything left. They allowed me to purchase 1 litre of milk and six eggs. Most of the tinned stuff is gone! I will now be going out every day scouring the shops for food, and self-isolating will have to be abandoned. I am not selfish, and I am 76 years old. I am still fairly active, but wish now that I had laid in some food supplies when it all started, and taken a chance of someone hitting me with a baseball bat!:( I cannot help any frail neigbours with their shopping, because the food shops are limiting most esentials to one or two items! Next possible online delivery of food is at least the 12th of April!
The problem is "A man can't fool with the golden rule, and a crowd that wont play fair!"
Staying in wouldn't bother me one bit after so many years at sea, but if we can't get food, what do we do?
Since air travel was cut by 75%, my blood oxygen has gone up from about 95% to 99%, and I feel much healthier. If there was anything I could "uninvent" it would be aircraft!
Bob

Now the countries are starting to cooperate more and more together.
Two Austrian airline planes are bringing today 150 tons of medical equipment and masks from China to Italy.
In addition 50 medical People from Cuba arrived in Italy. Several days ago already 150 doctors and staff from China. The European countries are starting now to coordinate the „bringing home“ from holiday regions.

How many DECADES of AUSTERITY will the survivors have to put up with, to 'pay' for all this economic desolation?
At least the UK government will have a windfall from victims who die intestate.
Heard this today on the news:- 3 'invulnerable' youths were seen, caught and let loose after deliberately coughing into the faces of an elderly couple in the street. Times like these can bring out the best in people, but also the worst.
Makes me proud to be human.

How many DECADES of AUSTERITY will the survivors have to put up with, to 'pay' for all this economic desolation?
At least the UK government will have a windfall from victims who die intestate.
Heard this today on the news:- 3 'invulnerable' youths were seen, caught and let loose after deliberately coughing into the faces of an elderly couple in the street. Times like these can bring out the best in people, but also the worst.
Makes me proud to be human.
Should of made the clean bed pans at the local hospital.

We didn't "panic buy" anything, but stayed in as suggested. When I went out for the weekly shop, there was hardly anything left. They allowed me to purchase 1 litre of milk and six eggs. Most of the tinned stuff is gone! I will now be going out every day scouring the shops for food, and self-isolating will have to be abandoned. I am not selfish, and I am 76 years old. I am still fairly active, but wish now that I had laid in some food supplies when it all started, and taken a chance of someone hitting me with a baseball bat!:( I cannot help any frail neigbours with their shopping, because the food shops are limiting most esentials to one or two items! Next possible online delivery of food is at least the 12th of April!
The problem is "A man can't fool with the golden rule, and a crowd that wont play fair!"
Staying in wouldn't bother me one bit after so many years at sea, but if we can't get food, what do we do?
Since air travel was cut by 75%, my blood oxygen has gone up from about 95% to 99%, and I feel much healthier. If there was anything I could "uninvent" it would be aircraft!
Bob
My experience too. It's beginning to look like a sequel to Raymond Baxter's book 'Where the Wind Blows'.

My wife and I went to walmart today to try and get a few necessities. We actually picked up the last pack of toilet paper and had it in our cart. ( we are out at home). A woman came by and grabbed it right out of our cart. My wife jumped on her trying to get it back. A clerk came and asked us what was wrong. My wife told the clerk what the woman did and when the clerk turned to the woman, the woman said "you have to prove it" and wasn't going to give it up. The clerk went to call the police, I took my wife and left before my wife beat her to a pulp. I can't afford the bail, court costs,fines, and lawyers as much as I wanted to see my wife pummel this woman. The store has a limit of one pack per person and they said the same people show up everyday at restock time to grab a pack. This is the most ignorant and stupid behavior I've ever seen. I don't understand what is wrong with people.

If someone took anything from my trolley, I would not consider beating them up, even if they were smaller than me - just not worth it!:confused:
We have a food shipment ordered online coming tomorrow,, so should be able to stay in from now on. We will also be getting an extra freezer so that we can store whatever frozen goods we obtain for quite a long time before having to go out for more. "Very selfish, stocking up," someone will no doubt say, but that is the way things are now. I am certainly not too terrified to go out if I need to, but the goverment (UK) has asked" us to stay in, so we will be doing just that, and therefore a certain amount of "stockpiling" will be necessary.
I am looking forward to all the extra time with jobs about the house, massive tidy up and spring clean, far more modelmaking, research and writing. I already have a good supply of wood, glues, basic materials, and have never been dependent on model shops because I do not build kits, only scratch. Ironically, the young generation are getting what they demanded - a reduction in pollution, from aircraft and automobile fumes, eating meat etc etc etc. As more and more industry shuts down, the air quality will get better and better, and the world will become a cleaner place to live in, but I doubt if all the "c;limate protesters" will like "paying the cost!" I am not naive enough to think the health benefits will improve when it is all over, as everyone will go back to polluting again, but I am already beginning to feel more healthy and invigorated. Even the absence of traffic noise is welcome!
Bob

I am watching the virus case count here in my area to see if it is the same or going down. Well within 24 hours it went from 163 to 456. the local grocery has a 6am seniors only shopping time. I could not believe what I saw shelf after shelf was empty, panic and hording I guess or the system is shutting down and goods are getting hard to get no deliveries. So wife and I joined the madding crowd and stocked up on what we could.

one thing I have to agree with Bob is it is quiet no traffic no waiting in check out lines, a reduction in pollution, maybe mother earth finely said I had enough of humans you ARE a destructive virus.

This morning, I did half an hour or so of writing. Then I stripped down my bandsaw to do some essential maintence, as it had got clogged up with sawdust, and the guide height was jammed solid. It is now in perfect working order again!:). Opened and cleaned the drill press, but found nothing particularly wrong apart from needing a light clean. I will check out the lathe tomorrow. Now halfway through tidying the shed and filling a box with disposable junk. More writing this afternoon. Also maybe an hour listening to a talking book (free downloads from Librivox.org). Lovely mild day today, so working outside is quite pleasant.

The searching and (some) "fighting" for toilet paper was also one week ago the standard here in Austria, but now they are back the shops......what I want to say: This hourding and panic buying will get less with the coming days.

Some small positive news from Italy - Yesterday it was looking like, that the new infections and also the number of deaths are slightly reduced by every day. But today once more higher. In the meantime also some russian help was arriving in Italy with (I think) nine planes (equipment and medical staff).
Also some of the intensiv-patients were transported to swiss and german hospitals to assist the italian.
And the "normal" Influenza infections are going down in the meantime - so less Influenza patients in the hospitals.....

The Bad news: in the last days the numbers in Spain are rising extremely - seems to be that there is another hot-spot of the Europe.
Also the figures in Austria are rising every day (due to the good weather and the parties the people still made 7 or 10 days ago). We have today appr. 1.000 new positive tested people in the last 24 hours.....sounds small compared to other countries, but you have to know, that Austria has only 8 billion inhabitants Now they are testing much more per day, and this is good......

To all my friends here in SOS:
KEEP CARE - and more important - Keep Distance and stay at home as much as possible.

Right now in St. Lucia we are in lock down and State of emergency. As the island is tourist based everyone is on edge. A pilot and another passenger were quarantined with the virus a week ago but no new cases or a death. We are very grateful the Prime minister is doing a great job.
Yes we had the hoarding and mass buying but that's settling down. The only thing I am worried about is possible robberies on homes here. There isn't any payed level or unemployment insurance. The people here live hand to mouth and jobs are closed.

I would like to get back to building but am taking the opporunity to get some of the jobs done around the house. Even though I am retired these minor problems have a habit of not going away by them selves.
Keep your chins up and think of better days
Dave F.

Our food delivery scheduled for yesterday did not arrive (UK). Had a very good sleep last night due to all the work around the house yesterday. Food supplies will only last a few days now, and will then have to go out unless delivery arrives!
Bob

The searching and (some) "fighting" for toilet paper was also one week ago the standard here in Austria, but now they are back the shops......what I want to say: This hourding and panic buying will get less with the coming days.

Some small positive news from Italy - Yesterday it was looking like, that the new infections and also the number of deaths are slightly reduced by every day. But today once more higher. In the meantime also some russian help was arriving in Italy with (I think) nine planes (equipment and medical staff).
Also some of the intensiv-patients were transported to swiss and german hospitals to assist the italian.
And the "normal" Influenza infections are going down in the meantime - so less Influenza patients in the hospitals.....

The Bad news: in the last days the numbers in Spain are rising extremely - seems to be that there is another hot-spot of the Europe.
Also the figures in Austria are rising every day (due to the good weather and the parties the people still made 7 or 10 days ago). We have today appr. 1.000 new positive tested people in the last 24 hours.....sounds small compared to other countries, but you have to know, that Austria has only 8 billion inhabitants Now they are testing much more per day, and this is good......

To all my friends here in SOS:
KEEP CARE - and more important - Keep Distance and stay at home as much as possible.
Same in Slovakia. From beginning people were raiding shops. It have taken few days to calm down. Now it is looking everyday like sunday evening. No cars on streets, no people. 98% of population is wearing face masks - everybody is sewing them because you can not buy - everything state bought is going to hospitals and other important places like army, police .... From today it is mandatory to wear it outside your home. We have only something over 200 positive cases but there is assumption that more people are ill as the government is testing only severe cases. If you have mild temperature and cought stay home in isolation.

Our food delivery scheduled for yesterday did not arrive (UK). Had a very good sleep last night due to all the work around the house yesterday. Food supplies will only last a few days now, and will then have to go out unless delivery arrives!
Bob
Hi Bob, I'm 65 with no family and one friend who is now self isolating. With no help I'm about to set off to try and buy groceries and pick up my monthly meds. No choice but to take the risk. Not happy at all; like stepping out into a minefield.

I know what you mean! When I last went into the supermarket for my normal weekly shop, they limited me to single items in a lot of things! We are delaying more shopping until our meager store is all gone, and then I will have to go out every day if they persist in this one item rationing! So much for "don't go out!" Our scheduled delivery yesterday didn't arrive, and no contact as to why not. Earliest delivery for new orders is about two weeks!
Extract from Big Steamers by Kipling:
For the bread that you eat and the biscuits you nibble,

The sweets that you suck and the joints that you carve,
They are brought to you daily by All Us Big Steamers
And if any one hinders our coming you'll starve!"

But we don't have much of a merhant navy any more! Wishing you well, and hope that you are able to come through it all OK
Bob

Here in Aus most everything is back to normal panic wise , except loo paper & sanitisiers. We have just had raids done by our Fed police on warehouses where certain groups had been organizing the goods for the black market and shipping out of Aus in containers. Ebay has also come down hard on sellers.
Those goods have been now seized by gov and given to medical and relief distributors.
I worked out why all the toilet paper is going- its all the pasta, beans & mince meat ( seems our generation under 40 only knows how to make spaghetti bolognese or chilli con carne ). ! :eek:

I know what you mean! When I last went into the supermarket for my normal weekly shop, they limited me to single items in a lot of things! We are delaying more shopping until our meager store is all gone, and then I will have to go out every day if they persist in this one item rationing! So much for "don't go out!" Our scheduled delivery yesterday didn't arrive, and no contact as to why not. Earliest delivery for new orders is about two weeks!
Extract from Big Steamers by Kipling:
For the bread that you eat and the biscuits you nibble,

The sweets that you suck and the joints that you carve,
They are brought to you daily by All Us Big Steamers
And if any one hinders our coming you'll starve!"

But we don't have much of a merhant navy any more! Wishing you well, and hope that you are able to come through it all OK
Bob
Just returned. Qued OUTSIDE pharmacy (no one allowed in) for an hour, to be told they don't have the med's and to go there again each day until they're in! Post office closed so went on a PO Safari! Then treated as if I had typhoid! Grocery shopping wasn't so bad, mainly because there's no one about. For the first time I went out masked and gloved. In the car I have a tub of dissinfectant to dip my hands into. Things are becoming primative; watch out, it's a jungle out there!

Although Wales is closed Tesco is almost back to normal ( the new normal THAT IS - 2 METRE SEPARATION ETC BUT VERY CIVILISED. fOR INFORMATION FOR US bRITS, THEY ARE OPENING mONDAY,wED, AND fRIDAY (am to 10am just for us old fogies. n Sorry about the caps lock.
NHS staff have Sunday 9 to 10 am
The roads are eerily quiet. Just like an old fashioned Sunday before Sunday opening.
Hope that helps

Back