DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Hi Herman, excuse me, I ask, how come these gunboats are not aligned with the others? Thank you

View attachment 415621

Hi Frank.
The aft part of the lower gundeck on Dutch ships of that time was offset because the deck there was kept more or less horizontal. So therefore there is a dip in the line of the gunports.

A drawing that shows this offset line of the gunports:
20231221_215557_resized.jpg

The line of my rear gunports on the lower deck (a bit hard to see as the plastic strips disturb a clear look of that line):
20231221_215327_resized.jpg

The gunports on the upper gundeck are more aligned. Also hard to see as one gunport is skipped as there was no place for a gun due to the movement of the whipstaff.
20231221_215340_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Frank.
The aft part of the lower gundeck on Dutch ships of that time was offset because the deck there was kept more or less horizontal. So therefore there is a dip in the line of the gunports.

A drawing that shows this offset line of the gunports:
View attachment 415629

The line of my rear gunports on the lower deck (a bit hard to see as the plastic strips disturb a clear look of that line):
View attachment 415627

The line of the gunports on the upper gundeck are more aligned. Also hard to see as one gunport is skipped as there was no place for a gun due to the movement of the whipstaff.
View attachment 415628
I took the liberty of asking you as I have a project sheet that does not show such positions, can I send it to you privately?I cannot post the drawings so as not to commit some copry problem

Last edited:
I took the liberty of asking you as I have a project sheet that does not show such positions, can I send it to you privately?I cannot post the drawings so as not to commit some copry problem
You are welcome Frank. I will answer you privately.
But enclosed for all I show a part of the contemporary drawing of De 7 Provincien, showing the deviating line of the three rear gunports.
De_krijgsraad_aan_boord_van_de_'De_Zeven_Provinciën',_het_admiraalsschip_van_Michiel_Adriaensz...jpg

The gap is slowly closing. The next four rows of planks are in place.

View attachment 415581

View attachment 415582

View attachment 415583

View attachment 415584

View attachment 415585

It doesn't look like I'll have time to work on the ship till after Christmas as we have family staying over this weekend.
So I wish you all a peaceful Merry Christmas,. May all your Holidays be filled with joy.
A nice transition of the planking, Herman. And nice razor-sharp double scarf connections.
Regards, Peter

Back