DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Together with the last 2 rows of planking the sternpost will have to be glued to the model. Before doing that I wanted to check how the sternpost would fit in connection to the wing transom. The easiest way to check that is simply to make the wing transom at this point (and a welcome short break from planking).
This is how the wing transom was drawn by Willem van de Velde:

View attachment 424150

I started with a piece of wood, that had been made to fit into the recess in the planking on the model. The profile on the underside of the transom was copied/filed into a piece of metal and with that piece of metal the edge profile was scraped into the wood.

View attachment 424145

At that point I had to mill a slot into the top of the transom and that went wrong as I had started with a piece of wood that was already beveled to the angle of the stern I had to counterbalance that angle. I simply made a piece of wood that corrected the angel, but it slipped during milling and damage the transom.

I started all over again by making a new piece of wood with the correct curvature to fit into the recess but this time no beveled angle. To get the milling over with I started by making the slot.

View attachment 424146

And scraping the profile again to the underside of the transom.

View attachment 424147

Enclosed two pictures of the wing transom provisionally place on but obviously no glued to the model. I have sanded it somewhat down, but it still needs a bit more work as it should only just protrude beyond the planking. A carving of a series of acanthus leaves belongs in the groove of the transom. That will be quite a challenge for later as the height of the slot is only 4,5 millimeters (abt 0,18 inch).

View attachment 424148

View attachment 424149
A nice piece of work, Herman.
Regards, Peter

Dear Herman
I had missed your birthday, I believe that was a happy& great birthday Birthday-CakeBeerI wish you all the best, happiness and many more years of happiness with your family and with the hobby:)
by the way, great work and progress

Dear Herman
I had missed your birthday, I believe that was a happy& great birthday Birthday-CakeBeerI wish you all the best, happiness and many more years of happiness with your family and with the hobby:)
by the way, great work and progress

Thank you my dear Shota for your Birthday wishes and your likes.

Hi Herman,

A trip to Vasa is really shipmoddelers heaven.
Keep in mind the ticket to the Vasa museum is valid for 3 days and you need those. First day for drooling and convincing yourselve you are actually there, second day for actually looking at the ship and museum. And third day for looking at all those tiny details you have to remember for your build. So a tip from myside, buy your wife an e-reader before you leave for Stockholm. ROTF
I tell you my wife was glad she brought it with her.
You also have the Stockholm maritime museum and the new shipwreck museum.

If you can contact Dr Fred Hocker before you go visit the museum and perhaps he will have time to give you some personal incites on your build. Your gratings look similar to the gratings on the Vasa.

Fred Hocker. Director of Research, Vasa Museum.

I am not sure who to call first, try the direct number to museum first and go from there. He did a personal tour for me on his day off! A real nice guy! He also has an email but not quite sure.

Indeed Herman! The planking that you have completed to this point is done exceptionally well. It just shows you again that those very long hours of boxing the hull and then sanding it meticulously (and laboriously) into shape, were well worth it.

Back