DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

I can only say, building a Dutch ship will not be the same like a French or English ship. No perfect drawings of that time, just some research of paintings, models and books of that time. Nice research Herman, indeed the William Rex got similar gratings. Looks to me like a good resource. I will study my pictures of the Prins Willem model I got if I can find there something that could be a help. I'm very interesting in this subject because I want to build the Hohenzollern model in the future. Just making a lot of notes and study at this moment. Your research I bookmarked. Thanks.

Hi Herman,

I agree with your gratings, this being a war ship. Vasa and William Rex for sure is a good reference here. These grating were for ventilation on the gundeck instead of being cargo hatches. They are also fitted over the major length of the gun decks.

The upper deck of Vasa had a coaming most probably to avoid larger quantities of water going down at the lower decks.
vasa-deck1.png

If you compare it with a merchant ship like Batavia the gratings would have been in a coaming as these are used as cargo hatch.
On merchant vessels they are also over a minor lenght of the deck.
See Batavia replica below.
EDnAo7sX4AgpcYe.jpg

On the nearly intact wreck of the ghostship fluit you also see deck coamings being a merchant ship.
spc3b6kskeppet-plan.jpg

Last edited:
I can only say, building a Dutch ship will not be the same like a French or English ship. No perfect drawings of that time, just some research of paintings, models and books of that time. Nice research Herman, indeed the William Rex got similar gratings. Looks to me like a good resource. I will study my pictures of the Prins Willem model I got if I can find there something that could be a help. I'm very interesting in this subject because I want to build the Hohenzollern model in the future. Just making a lot of notes and study at this moment. Your research I bookmarked. Thanks.
Do you have both books "William Rex" and Winter's "De Hollandse Tweedekker" on your bookshelf?
I regularly compare the drawings of Blom and Dik with the details seen on those models and those on several build logs. The truth lies in the middle.

Hi Herman,

I agree with your gratings, this being a war ship. Vasa and William Rex for sure is a good reference here. These grating were for ventilation on the gundeck instead of being cargo hatches. They are also fitted over the major length of the gun decks.

The upper deck of Vasa had a coaming most probably to avoid larger quantities of water going down at the lower decks.
View attachment 344637

If you compare it with a merchant ship like Batavia the gratings would have been in a coaming as these are used as cargo hatch.
On merchant vessels they are also over a minor lenght of the deck.
See Batavia replica below.
View attachment 344629

On the nearly intact wreck of the ghostship fluit you also see deck coamings being a merchant ship.
View attachment 344636
If it hadn't been on the drawings of Blom/Dick and on the contemporary models I too would have been inclined to insert the gratings in a frame/coaming to keep some of the water to enter the lower deck.
Apparantly that was a more important issue on a cargo vessel.

If it hadn't been on the drawings of Blom/Dick and on the contemporary models I too would have been inclined to insert the gratings in a frame/coaming to keep some of the water to enter the lower deck.
Apparantly that was a more important issue on a cargo vessel.
Hi Ermanno, I came across these photos, there's always something to know, Frank

1670533796264.jpeg

328726-9a12671b1ba612fc2d8151479672f341.jpg

I have been making the remainder of the gratings for this deck and redone the first two.
I followed the advice of Nigel to make them slightly over height and then place them in the model and fair them to the deck level. Further improvement was achieved by not adjusting the battens (and breaking the straight lines), but slightly adjust the notches in the deck to have them receive the battens.

1672503916981.jpeg

1672503946770.jpeg
1672504085099.jpeg

That was all for this year.

I thank you all for watching, sharing your opinions and for your advice. This was my first year as a member of SoS and I am glad I joined this friendly community for the support I was given here both in the hobby as well as in private when I went through a hard time being (mis-)diagnosed with bone cancer, what later turned out to be Mgus and what now appears to stay on a level where no treatment is necessary.

I wish you and your loved ones all a Happy Healthy New Year.

1672504473428.jpeg

I have been making the remainder of the gratings for this deck and redone the first two.
I followed the advice of Nigel to make them slightly over height and then place them in the model and fair them to the deck level. Further improvement was achieved by not adjusting the battens (and breaking the straight lines), but slightly adjust the notches in the deck to have them receive the battens.

View attachment 348498

View attachment 348499
View attachment 348500
That was all for this year.

I thank you all for watching, sharing your opinions and for your advice. This was my first year as a member of SoS and I am glad I joined this friendly community for the support I was given here both in the hobby as well as in private when I went through a hard time being (mis-)diagnosed with bone cancer, what later turned out to be Mgus and what now appears to stay on a level where no treatment is necessary.

I wish you and your loved ones all a Happy Healthy New Year.

View attachment 348502
A nice ending of your first year on the SoS, Herman. Same wishes to you.
Regards, Peter

Back