DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Congratulations for this great model - very well done !!!!

Only one small remark, which describes my subjective feeling, when I see your model.
Due to the fact, that the section design contents no rigging (off course), there are no belaying pins at the rack next to the mast.
I do not mean the the rigging ropes, but the belaying pins are completely missing - it is looking a little bit naked around the mast.
But this is a pure question of taste......

Uwe, that is a very good and valid point. Although there are channels , chains and blocks, why not stiffen some "rope" with superglue or dope and only have part of the rigging "standing" upto, say, the height of the shortened mast, just like the fairy-tale rope into the cloud.
This could be possible - my comment was really only the pins by themself

Thanks for all the kind words and the "likes", guys! This build was great fun and a learning experience also. Problem solving is one of the parts of model building that is so appealing to me. It's why I'm gravitating to scratch builds these days. I want to thank the SOS staff for organizing the group build, and I want to especially thank Mike41 for all his hard work in drawing the plans, building the prototype and putting up with all the moaning from those of us building the model - especially me! Thanks, Mike!!

Uwe: I understand your question, but the reason no belaying pins or pin rails were included in the model is because there were almost none on Blandford! All the running rigging was belayed to cleats, bitts. kevels and rails. No belaying pins except for the pin racks attached to the mizzen shrouds, and the 2 small racks attached to the mizzen mast!! You can see the detail of the bitts below. Below are two drawings from the AOTS book:

blandrig.jpgblandrig2.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words and the "likes", guys! This build was great fun and a learning experience also. Problem solving is one of the parts of model building that is so appealing to me. It's why I'm gravitating to scratch builds these days. I want to thank the SOS staff for organizing the group build, and I want to especially thank Mike41 for all his hard work in drawing the plans, building the prototype and putting up with all the moaning from those of us building the model - especially me! Thanks, Mike!!

Uwe: I understand your question, but the reason no belaying pins or pin rails were included in the model is because there were almost none on Blandford! All the running rigging was belayed to cleats, bitts. cavels and rails. No belaying pins except for the pin racks attached to the mizzen shrouds, and the 2 small racks attached to the mizzen mast!! You can see the detail of the bitts below. Below are two drawings from the AOTS book:

View attachment 123341View attachment 123342
Understood and well explained - I am surprised, but it is like it is - Than definitely I take back my argument - it is good to talk with friends

Congratulations Dave, a very nice end result, is the glass cover glued to the shelf ?.
It is too late to ask about goals for different things where the drawings are not correct. :)Thumbsup
What will be the next project, King Fisher, Don't you have plans and materials ready for this ship ?.
Good luck, Greetings Knut.

Back