Don Farr's Blandford Cross Section Build

After seeing Dave work, mine is not anywhere close to his, BUT IT IS THE BEST I CAN DO RIGHT KNOW, the Main deck framing so far is a 100% better then my effort on the lower deck framing this is what I hoped for, pictures from 4310 to 4313 is showing MDB No. 2 dry fitted, pictures 4318 to 4320 show it glued in place (NOTICE THE MARKS IT SHOWS THE BEAM MARK LOCATION TAKEING FROM THE PLAN and 4310 shows the underside finished using 3 coats of Min-wax NATURAL STAIN, question what is the best protective finish after the stain

The mineral spirits will remove some of the dirt etc. from the model, but I think fine grit sandpaper is the best way to clean things up. The wipe on poly is like dilute varnish. You can brush it on, but be careful...it's so thin it can run and drip. Practice with it a little to see how it behaves before you use it on your model.

The wipe on poly is like dilute varnish. You can brush it on, but be careful...it's so thin it can run and drip.
G'day Don
When I'm using these types of treatments, where there's a chance of dropping down, I place a trimmed 'puppy training pad' down to protect the under surface. It's easy to cut and trim and it's very absorbent and has a 'waterproof' backing for extra protection.
With my hand shakes, I need to be extra careful. :p

Good progress, Don, hoping to get started even soon, has cut out the parts for frames and keel,
a few adjustments before I can put them together.
After that I have to correct everything neatly and in korekt angle in the building jig, I hope.
Follows on your log. Greeting-

more progress this time showing, some bad craftmanship on the carlings and ledges, even though one side would be planked over, I had to fixt it it bothered me every time I looked at it, being an expert in taking apart mistakes, used my acoton method took me well over an hour got it apart without damage, now remaking the parts will show them latter20190318_180216[4460].jpg20190318_180314[4459].jpg20190318_180314[4458].jpg20190318_180501[4457].jpg20190318_195756[4456].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, go on with good courage, everyone can make mistakes.
For example, I have never built a model this way before,
therefore I do a lot of tests before I start mounting.
There will be a lot of trial and error I have to admit.
Fortunately, there are a lot of good advice to get here at SOS.

G'day Don
Please don't judge yourself with others. Be happy and learn and thrive to improve on YOUR OWN WORK, the next time you do it.
As I have said before, dont expect to be as good as Dave or Mike, they have decades of experience to call appond.
You are going great my mate.

Hi Don! We are all learning from mistakes, mostly from our own. Tha's is normal. Don't stress too much, have fun building the model. And remember, there are many people who cannot do a fraction of what you are doing. You doing it great!!!

Back