English Cutter Half Hull 1:32 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

This will be my build log of the half hull model by Ken. I started with the bulkheads; they are made from Baltic Burch plywood. They were rough cut with the bandsaw and sanded with a belt sander and a small drum in my drill press. This is a few photos of the progress so far.

IMG_3306.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3308.jpgIMG_3309.jpgIMG_3310.jpgIMG_3311.jpgIMG_3312.jpg

Thanks Don, all the notches are rough cut with the bandsaw, and I use hand files to fit the notch to the part inserted into it. The process does not take long with a good set of files.

Thanks Donnie, I hope I don’t put everyone asleep lol.

Don asks how I was cutting the notches and I replied by bandsaw, that is correct but the notches in the hog on the keel assembly drawing need some special care. The notches on the right hand need to be cut at an angle due to the length of the hog. I show this in the second and third photos. The first photo shows the keel assembly patterns attached and the last shows all the parts rough cut over the plan. The next step will be a lot of sanding and glue it together.

IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3317.jpgIMG_3318.jpgIMG_3319.jpg

WAY TO GO MIKE, GREAT PRACTORIUM THIS IS GOING TO BE, I WILL POST SOME PICTURES TOMORROW ON MY IDEA FOR KEEL, HAD 2ND VACCINE SHOT YESTERDAY SO FAR NO SIDE EFFECTS JUST SLEEPY NOT TIRED BUT SLEEPY TIME FOR NAP BEFORE I MESS UP COMPLETELY. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

that really looks good Mike - I am sure those Bulkheads are a nice departure from frames !!! LOL

Got my wood yesterday and cut out the patterns. Gluing then today but will have to wait to cut them out since my saws are in the unheated garage and I'll have to wait at least till next week when it will be 60 degrees out side. in the mean time I'll be watching.

Hi Mike J, thanks for watching the group build. We are looking forward to seeing more build logs started with a few more photos.

Mike,
are you building this half hull at a different scale from the original?

@MikeJ ----- for someone that this is a first or even a second scratch build, I highly suggest sticking with the plans that Ken offers. I know Mike41 and he has a tremendous amount of experience and can shuffle scales around like a deck of cards.

Mike,
are you building this half hull at a different scale from the original?

@MikeJ ----- for someone that this is a first or even a second scratch build, I highly suggest sticking with the plans that Ken offers. I know Mike41 and he has a tremendous amount of experience and can shuffle scales around like a deck of cards.

I am building from the drawings by Kim at 1:32 scale. My wife complains if my model is too big, my eyes complains if the model is too small lol.

I made a small revision to the keel, added a small piece in the center to reinforce the butt joint. Everything went together well and tomorrow I will get the bulkheads in place. I am thinking about beveling them off the model before gluing them in place.
Any thoughts, good, bad, or ugly?

IMG_3320.jpgIMG_3322.jpgIMG_3323.jpg

Last edited:
HOW CAN ANYTHING YOU DO LOOK BAD OR UGLY, MINE IS COMING ALONG QUITE WELL, HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON NAP TIME, MAYBE GETTING AHEAD OF MYSELF HERE BUT ARE YOU PLANNING ANY THING FOR DECK STRUCTURE LIE PLANKING DECK, SO FAR I LOVE THIS ONE, A SHOUT OUT TO KEN FOR STARTING THIS LET US HERE KEN JOIN US WHERE ARE YOU DOC BLAKE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back