Eric's Blandford Build

After three hours the other day cleaning and balancing the top wheel of my bandsaw, I can now cut a piece of wood 1mm thick.
The problem with the unbalanced wheel is the silicon band that the blade lies upon, I put 2.5grams weight on the wheel and without the saw blade on the wheel was balanced but when it is spinning under power the whole saw still vibrates. The drive wheel does not vibrate on its own.
Any one have any ideas? please, TIA.
Eric

Well things happen in threes, two days ago my ancient belt sander gave up the ghost and I got an early birthday present (see Something New post), today I found out that the electric brakes in our caravan need replacing (ordered) and then this afternoon whilst in the middle of cutting some timber on the bandsaw the elevator and pivot snapped breaking the saw band in the process, parts are no longer available for this Ryobi model.20200703_175321[1].jpg20200703_175340[1].jpg20200703_175408[1].jpg20200703_175413[1].jpg
The lower part is where the wheel is pushed in or out to centre the saw blade, the upper part with the screw is the band tensioner.
I am thinking I might be able to weld three pieces to make the upper part, I don't have a mill or know anyone who does.
I was in the process of cutting some strakes (didn't cut enough the other day) and was going to start cutting deck and hull planking, might have to rely on the ubiquitous paddle pop stick.
Life is such a beach.

Hi Eric, the good news is you found the source of the vibration problem, the bad news is the casting is pot metal and is difficult to weld. You could try an epoxy as a temporary fix until your new band saw is up and running.

Hi Mike, sorry I just realized that I wasn't very specific about the welding, I was referring to steel. I have a good quality gasless MIG welder and there is a steel supplier down the road from me. Four or five little pieces should do. Made out of steel and welded will be stronger than cast alloy!
At the moment I have enough timber to at least one side of the hull with thickstuff and footwalings and beam shelf.

Making new parts from steel is better than repairing the broken stuff. Looking forward to new progress photos.

Hallo Eric,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day and celebrate with your family
Birthday-Cake

Mike! How are you? Long time time no see buddy.
I haven't done anything with models for a while now as I have been busy with other "projects"
Will PM you later.

Back