Fair American 1:48 Model Shipways Retrospective Log and Personal Modeling History

Gentlemen, I strongly welcome everyone! Chuck, I looked over and read your post. Your ship. Your "Lovely Renee" is amazing... a very beautiful ship. and you write very beautifully, unusually, and interestingly about this ship. Your ship and story are beautiful. I liked it very much. Thank you very much for the wonderful publication. Definitely need to continue! BRAVO.

Good morning! This will be a retrospective build log. The model is pretty much finished. My thought is to record my mistakes and discoveries for comment by experienced modelers and perhaps for the benefit of other novices like me. I'm going to start the log at then end and work my way backwards. I'm doing this mainly because most of the pictures I took are of the finished model.

Before I post the pictures, a little history is in order. This is my second build of Fair American. My first build started in 1999 and ended in 2003. I have no pictures and the model was consumed in the conflagration of the Great Recession. I was fond of the model and had a great sense of accomplishment when I finished. My first build was the Model Shipways Sultana, solid hull. I did a crap job (much less than workman like), impatient and without the right tools. When I finished Fair American the first time, I looked at it from a birds eye view and had a hard time accepting that I really had built the model when I saw the wonderful, symmetrical spider web of the braces from above.

My next build was the Constructo USS Enterprise. The Enterprise scale is very close to 1:48 which, probably because of my first Fair American, is my preferred scale. My mother gave me the kit for Christmas in 2006. It was the last gift she gave me. It stayed in the box until summer 2020. Somehow it survived, a little worse for wear, through four house moves. When I finished it, again I had a feeling of accomplishment. I also learned a lot from the modelers here about hull planking, for instance, and upgrading, particularly replacing kit supplied blocks with the superior products one can now get from Syren Ship Model Company and Model Shipways to name a couple.

So, I ordered Fair American 2 which I rechristened Lovely Renee after my wife because she is the lovely Renee and because I tipped the scales in my favor for house room for my models;).
Hallo @The Gavel
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Gentlemen, I strongly welcome everyone! Chuck, I looked over and read your post. Your ship. Your "Lovely Renee" is amazing... a very beautiful ship. and you write very beautifully, unusually, and interestingly about this ship. Your ship and story are beautiful. I liked it very much. Thank you very much for the wonderful publication. Definitely need to continue! BRAVO.
Please pardon the long delayed response. I hope that it's never too late to say thank you! It's that kind of encouragement that helped prompt me to start a new ship and a build log of the build in progress. Wishing you all the best!

Hi Chuck, miss seeing you on the forum! Hope all is well with you and you have a wonderful birthday!
Dear Paul,

Thank you for the kind message! I'm just getting things back together after a long summer of dealing with this old house. I just started a log of my build of USRC Harriet Lane. I look forward to your thoughts, advice and fellowship.

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.
Chuck

Back