First build Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (11320)

Worked on some lifeboats, small inclined ladders, and assembled the compass tower. I'm finding the photo etch is really not easy. Maybe it's the 1/350 scale. I can't imagine trying to do it on say a 1/600 or smaller. People that are able to do that have my admiration! They must have really good eyes, steady hands, and loads of talent and patience.60 Lifeboats.jpg61 Compass Tower.jpg

Assembling some cranes. I don't like CA glue. It seems it will not set on parts at times for a minute but will stick my fingers together in a half a second. The two cranes that are on the model dried too quickly and I had to pry them off which messed them up. It's fine if I can use accelerator but I don't want to spray that on the wood decks. I'm going to try and use Gators Grip Glue as much as possible.62 Cranes.jpg63 Cranes.jpg

Great work! Saw your work and immediately joined SOS. I have two Academy 1:400 scale kits in my stash and am building one now. I’m detailing it much like you are and look forward to your progress. Have you seen the amazing work done by Art Braunschweiger? You may glean something from his work. The site is titanicmodel.net. As for my build, I’ve already decimated two of my PE benches and botched up the paint on the officers quarters, but I’ll keep plugging along. Good luck with your build.

Thanks. Yes his model is out of control nice. I have it bookmarked and often look at his photos if the kit instructions confuse me. I think that is the most realistic model I have ever seen, the guys work and talent are amazing. In looking at his photos you would think it's the real ship. Good luck with yours also.

Great work! Saw your work and immediately joined SOS. I have two Academy 1:400 scale kits in my stash and am building one now. I’m detailing it much like you are and look forward to your progress. Have you seen the amazing work done by Art Braunschweiger? You may glean something from his work. The site is titanicmodel.net. As for my build, I’ve already decimated two of my PE benches and botched up the paint on the officers quarters, but I’ll keep plugging along. Good luck with your build.
Welcome aboard SOS, @AER3393 3393! It would be nice if you can start your own build log. We would love to see the ongoing build in 1/400 scale. What do you think?

Do you plan to add lights? It’s my first attempt at lighting a kit of this size and though it adds a greater level of difficulty to the kit, I feel will add to the illusion of realism. I’m using pico-size LEDs to overhead light the covered promenades. When my order arrived I thought they forgot to put the diodes on the wires they were so small.

Do you plan to add lights? It’s my first attempt at lighting a kit of this size and though it adds a greater level of difficulty to the kit, I feel will add to the illusion of realism. I’m using pico-size LEDs to overhead light the covered promenades. When my order arrived I thought they forgot to put the diodes on the wires they were so small.
I'm not adding them to this kit. I also have the Trumpeter 1/200 scale model that I plan on building which comes with a light package so I may add the lights to that one....really not sure yet. I agree that it would make it more difficult to assemble the model as you would have more things to keep track of. As it is on my current 1/350 there are the kit instructions, the photo etch, and the wood decking all going on at once. I'm not an electrical person so soldering and wiring would be another thing I would have to practice. The models do look nicer with the lights though if done cleanly. I would think you would also have to pay very close attention to any gaps between parts that would really show up with lighting.

Chris,
You mentioned An issue with using CA glue. Not sure if it would help. One of my IPMS members recently told me about a CA applicator called the glue looper. Fits In a standard knife blade handle. I’ve tried them and for me it has greatly Improve my application of CA glue. Previously I used a sewing needle with the eye ground down as an applicator which has since been relegated to my junk drawer. Might be something you want to look into. Here’s what they look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 25
I completely agree with @AER3393 about this CA glue applicator. I just wanted to add that company Creative Dynamics has different loopers for different viscosity glues and applications. I have most of them and happily use them. The site offers videos tutorial so you can get an idea.

I quick mixed up some paint trying to get the funnel color and this is what I have so far. If anyone knows Titanic colors I would welcome suggestions as to what to add here or if I should just go with it as is. I think it's in the ballpark.65 Funnel Color.jpg

Personally, I like the one on the right, but... on the plastic, the color will be darker. I suggest you use the primer first (if you have not used it yet) preferably white color. I no way expert in painting @mrshanks Mike, is really good applying paint, maybe he can suggest you a better correct way of doing it. ;)

Well this is dry and in daylight. I remixed it a totally different way. The lighting, camera, and monitor all don't give an accurate depiction of what it looks like in person. I am just gonna go with it as is. It's close enough for my purposes and I could be fiddling with it forever!!FC.jpg

Back