French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

Hi Christian!

. . . no construction kit, no workshop with lathe or milling machine with xyz axis and except for the gun barrels and the name plate no prefabricated parts. I have only seen clamps, a fretsaw an Proxxon hand drill and an assembly table. It was a pleasure to follow your build report from blueprint to model and congratulations on your finished magnificent model. . .
. . . and maybe you itch in the fingers, even if only a small model, to build.

Thank you very much for this wonderful journey!

Best regards
Thomas

Very well done my friend. I hope that perhaps you will find another (short-term) project to entertain you. Do you have anymore pictures you can share?

Magnificent model with beautiful colour rendering of the wood! Congratulations!
Just one note, if I may: why didn't you burnish the guns?

...And remember of the Royal Caroline (11/2018), before the oxydation of the brass accessories :

Tableau 5.jpg

...and now, four years later (the decoration had been varnished for protect it), but guns are naturally patined :

Base P.jpg

The verdigris is a copper carbonate, at sea the bronze is rather covered with copper chloride, which is brownish

In fact, you are right.
The green patina on bronze guns forms over time and it would be implausible to think that, on a warship, the guns would be left like that without being polished!

Thanks Giampy, you are the first I knew to well understand my option about this deeply existential question Thumbs-Up

Also, these giant war ships (except the Saint Philippe) did't keep a very long operational life, between enemy fires and other damages... Sick

My model is therefore an all new one, in its shipyard, not painted, with fresh guns :D

Back