Gilles' 19-inch Canoe - cherry - Canoe # 1 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Aug 6 update.
Working on decks. Apart from a few details to take care of, one end of the canoe is basically done so here are some close-up views:

View attachment 171186

View attachment 171187

View attachment 171188

View attachment 171189

G
Your bow and stern decks caught my eye. One looks flat and the other is scalloped over a center member like draped canvas. Maybe just the difference in the view. Please share more of your creativity on these for this great looking canoe. PT-2

Your bow and stern decks caught my eye. One looks flat and the other is scalloped over a center member like draped canvas. Maybe just the difference in the view. Please share more of your creativity on these for this great looking canoe. PT-2

Good morning,
Both are the same shape: it is just the viewing angle.
Here is the detail before the end strip is installed.
I may even end up shaping that strip to follow the shape of the upper face of the deck: not sure yet.

_DSC1285 aa.jpg

As for details about the construction of the decks, see this:
where you can find out about the process, which is much more detailed than in the guide.
The "group build" is designed to motivate builders to be creative with their own project and make their craft as unique as they want.
Since I am building at least 2 canoes within the scope of this project, the subsequent canoes will be different.
G

Here is a view showing the overall shape of the canoe.
Still need to take care of of a few things such as the seats, which are not permanently installed here as I may redo them, the yoke, paddles and a few finishing details.

Untitled-1a.jpg

G.

19-inch canoe as of today: almost completed!
Some viewers may wonder about varnish .... Well, contrary to my usual practice, this piece will not see the application of any finish at this point.
A few small details to add, a bit of cleanup in some areas and of course, paddles need to be made to complete the model.

_DSC1403 aa.jpg

G.

Last edited:
19-inch canoe as of today: almost completed!
Some viewers may wonder about varnish .... Well, contrary to my usual practice, this piece will not go through the application of any finish at this point.
A few small details to add, a bit of cleanup in some areas and of course, paddles need to be made to complete the model.

View attachment 171529

G.
Nice clean simple canoe. Have you ever experimented with using Watch Furniture Oil on your work? I may take some to try a sample to see the outcome in color variation. I am now waiting for my cherry from Northeastern to arrive deciding to use their strips and not mill my own from sheets for an initial build. I may do a second one and vary the scantlings for a broader flatter bottom as you indicate this is artists freedom. Thanks for your patience with my questions. PT-2

Well, since I will be making this size and the other (using different woods), here is the image with them both: for size comparison.

View attachment 159728

Sorry, the building bases don't look as nice as the you guys!
I think the membership at large is going to get sick of seeing canoes!!
G
They may tire out but seeing the canoes brings back the sound of paddling on ponds and lakes in a setting sun. Never enough! PT-2 Oh yes, also the sound of wind in sails and rush of bow spray on a screaming plane hiking full out!!!!

Great accomplishment and very well defined build log, so much to learn!! Many thanks for your time and dedication.

Thank you Jim.
Hopefully some will find the motivation to start working on their models.
Canoes are surely not as "sexy" as most ships being built and shown around forums, but they are a good starting point.
G

Very nice, Gilles.!! It seems like you moved right along with it. I'm still waiting on the rest of my pear wood. Hopefully soon.!!

Its obvious that your skills are at a high level. Is that a piece of driftwood for the base.??

Very nice, Gilles.!! It seems like you moved right along with it. I'm still waiting on the rest of my pear wood. Hopefully soon.!!

Its obvious that your skills are at a high level. Is that a piece of driftwood for the base.??
Good note on the base. We live between two rivers in Oregon, McKenzie and Willamette and are an hour from the Pacific coast so I should have plenty of hunting grounds for natural base materials. No deer spreads though as I don't hunt. PT-2

Nice clean simple canoe. Have you ever experimented with using Watch Furniture Oil on your work? PT-2

Hey brother.... I am not familiar with "Watch Furniture Oil"..?? I'm wondering if you meant "Watco"..??? Maybe an 'autocorrect' thing on the computer.?? Or, maybe I'm behind the times and just not aware of certain finishes.!!
Thanks,
Howard

Hey brother.... I am not familiar with "Watch Furniture Oil"..?? I'm wondering if you meant "Watco"..??? Maybe an 'autocorrect' thing on the computer.?? Or, maybe I'm behind the times and just not aware of certain finishes.!!
Thanks,
Howard
Watco it is. It was probably a typo on my part as I don't know if spelling auto correct works in SoS but it may if the text is somehow tied to MS Word or the related platforms.
Watco on Cherry.jpgA sample try on a recently self cut and milled piece of Sherofujin Cherry from my yard, cut last month which shows with the initial application on the darker half, the initial penetration color change. It will probably get somewhat darker with more coats between drying times. IT is penetration oil and resin, not a surface finish or coating. They say it may be used on walnut, teak, cherry, birch, oak, mahogany, cedar, pine and similar woods. I think it would be a good "natural" finish to one of the canoe builds and perhaps on other admiralty ones. PT-2

On small models such as canoes, I normally use water base semi-gloss varnishes and sometimes, oil varnish, brushed on "wipe on poly". I have also used "tung oil" with good results.
This one will stay unfinished as an experiment: between naturally aging the wood and oxidation of the brass.

On larger models (ships), I use either wipe on poly or tung oil.

G.

Last edited:
This canoes is now ready for display.
In the end, I did apply full varnish treatment:
- a total of 9 coats were applied on the outside. two primary / base coats, then very light sanding with 600 grit paper between coat 3 to 8. No sanding applied between 8 and 9 but a wipe with a clean cloth. Once coat 9 was dry / cured for 48 hours, the surface was very lightly "polished" with 1500 grit paper: this is basically like wiping the surface using the paper as you cannot really tell but it gets rid of impurities in the top surface.
- 1 coat inside and seat frames.
- 4 coats on decks, sheer (including inner gunwale) and yoke.

1 a NR (1 of 1) copy aa.jpg

This canoes is now ready for display.
In the end, I did apply full varnish treatment:
- a total of 9 coats were applied on the outside. two primary / base coats, then very light sanding with 600 grit paper between coat 3 to 8. No sanding applied between 8 and 9 but a wipe with a clean cloth. Once coat 9 was dry / cured for 48 hours, the surface was very lightly "polished" with 1500 grit paper: this is basically like wiping the surface using the paper as you cannot really tell but it gets rid of impurities in the top surface.
- 1 coat inside and seat frames.
- 4 coats on decks, sheer (including inner gunwale) and yoke.

View attachment 175046
Another skillful and beautiful build. The wood character comes out well with your finishing process which demand as much care at the setting of the nails. PT-2

Back