Halve Maen (Half Moon), 1608 - Dutch VOC Vlieboot - Corel - 1:50 - Double-plank-on-bulkhead

I do use nails on the first layer of planking, but not on the second. (Until I'm trained in the art of trenails).
There are small brass nails that come with the kit, but they can be purchased also. I know Model-Expo sells some: https://modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?keyword=nails&sortby=0&page=3&catid=.
I actually use a normal hammer to tap them in, very light taps. (No desire for a stove boat!) I leave the nail head raised just a bit so I can pull them out once everything is set well.

Does it work better than clamps and straight pins?

Ver
These are photos of paintings and a sketch from John Harland's article on the whipstaff. Harland doesn't name the ships, but the paintings are by Vroom, 1563-1640 (left), and Storck,1635-1710 (right).

Harland, J. (2011). The whipstaff. The Mariner’s Mirror, 97(1), 103–126. https://doi.org/10.1080/00253359.2011.10709035

View attachment 174496View attachment 174498
Very useful this research we do. I do like The Corel kit, this is also for me a second build ship. But I see a number of parts they use on other models.
Also the helmsman on the replica looks quite different. The replica is made 40 years ago and since lots of interesting research on VOC ships has been done.

18D7EAD0-D9E9-4C60-B425-0AA903A3350D.jpeg

Just as a note of interest. The past and current issues of The Northern Mariner a quarterly publication of the Canadian Nautical Research Society (in collaboration with the North American Society for Oceanic History) are available for download from the cnrs-scrn.org website at no cost now. Its one of the last peer reviewed journals of its kind left in North America. There are several good articles that I have found helpful in my research from this publication.

Just as a note of interest. The past and current issues of The Northern Mariner a quarterly publication of the Canadian Nautical Research Society (in collaboration with the North American Society for Oceanic History) are available for download from the cnrs-scrn.org website at no cost now. Its one of the last peer reviewed journals of its kind left in North America. There are several good articles that I have found helpful in my research from this publication.
Thanks for the heads up, @Winston. I wasn't aware of this one, but it is now bookmarked for future reference. :)

Hi Eric, do you know what part no 55 looked like ? I cant find it and do not see it on your photo’s It is supposed to support the bowsprit
I couldnt find it either. I think its supposed to be a knee for supporting the ram. The parts list says "4mm chock", and it looks like it would be covered with walnut...Ive been meaning to scratch one from solid walnut, but this area is giving me a little frustration, so Ive been letting it ride a bit.

Last edited:
I couldnt find it either. I think its supposed to be a knee for supporting the ram. The parts list says "4mm chock", and it looks like it would be covered with walnut...Ive been meaning to scratch one from solid walnut, but this area is giving me a little frustration, so Ive been letting it ride a bit.
I just found it! It is hidden in this little plastic bag. :) View attachment 175295

Last edited:
Just cracked into Henry Hudson's Half Moon, an early 17th c. Dutch Vlieboot (Flyboat)--a sort of flat-bottomed carrack--belonging to the Dutch East India Company.

I just love the story of the 1609 expedition. Hudson took a bit of a detour in the Half Moon in 1609 when he was supposed to be searching for the Northeast Passage, effectively going rogue. He had sailed out of Amsterdam in April on orders to attempt to chart a Northeast Passage. When he hit pack ice yet again in the northeast, he convinced his crew to sail in the opposite direction, against his VOC orders, and the Half Moon reached the Grand Banks of Newfoundland on July 2. He explored the Canada/America coast from Newfoundland to the Chesapeake Bay and began to chart what is now the Hudson River, which he named the Mauritius. Hudson returned in 1610 in Discovery to chart what is now Hudson Bay in a search for the Northwest Passage.

I'm actually really excited for this one. It should be a nice second build for me. Just enough to challenge a noob like me with a fairly bluff bow, a lateen mizzen, and just a bit more rigging than my first build. I kind of have a thing for Dutch ships, VOC, etc, so this should be fun. I even ordered Charting the Sea of Darkness: The Four Voyages of Henry Hudson to read along as I build.

View attachment 151029

View attachment 151030 View attachment 151028
Hallo Eric, alias @Brewbrarian ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back