HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Thank you, Dean. As one of my class projects, I had to teach my students about the role that the Flying Tigers played in China. And lo and behold ... I became interested in the Curtiss P-40 - I never thought I would see the day ... ROTF
I am fortunate to live just a few miles from the Warhawk Museum where the have a wonderful display of WWII aircraft and more...the 'centerpiece' is a P-40! They have a website that has a photo gallery too.

Screenshot_20230425-084746_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230425-085340_Chrome.jpg

I am fortunate to live just a few miles from the Warhawk Museum where the have a wonderful display of WWII aircraft and more...the 'centerpiece' is a P-40! They have a website that has a photo gallery too.

View attachment 371067View attachment 371068
Thank you very much Phil. I will most certainly peruse the website and gallery. I have also found some excellent documentaries on the history of the Flying Tigers and the P40 on YouTube.

Thank you very much Phil. I will most certainly peruse the website and gallery. I have also found some excellent documentaries on the history of the Flying Tigers and the P40 on YouTube.
I took some photos - I post them as soon as I can. We had a member of our ship building group pass away so I may be a bit slow....

The decedents of the original Flying Tigers are sill wearing there sharks teeth on A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft. Still know as the 23rd Fighter Group, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Fighter_Group

I worked on both the A-7D and A-10A aircraft as mechanic when in the US Air Force while assigned to the Flying Tigers.

Hi Heinrich,

I had a lot of reading to catch up with in your blog. Your research towards the Mercurius is very interesting to read. It is a pitty that scientific research is not always easily accessible for us as hobbyist. I also see that with my flute build thatvit is difficult to get in touch with the right people sitting on the info.

I wish you a wonderfull trip to SA, enjoy it to the max.

Thank you very much for the beautiful photographs, Phil. It is so good to see that these planes of historical significance are so beautifully restored, maintained and flown. That is how it should be! Thumbsup

The decedents of the original Flying Tigers are sill wearing there sharks teeth on A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft. Still know as the 23rd Fighter Group, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Fighter_Group

I worked on both the A-7D and A-10A aircraft as mechanic when in the US Air Force while assigned to the Flying Tigers.
It is wonderful to have been part of something which is so firmly embedded in history, Kurt! That should make you feel proud to have been part of history!

A beautiful collection of warbirds!
Thanks for sharing, Phil. These pictures remind me of why I am more an aircraft man than a shipwright, no offense.
They are indeed beautiful, Johan - I very much expected you to enjoy these stunning pics. Absolutely no offense taken - to each his own! :)

Hi Heinrich,

I had a lot of reading to catch up with in your blog. Your research towards the Mercurius is very interesting to read. It is a pitty that scientific research is not always easily accessible for us as hobbyist. I also see that with my flute build thatvit is difficult to get in touch with the right people sitting on the info.

I wish you a wonderfull trip to SA, enjoy it to the max.
Hi Maarten. Yes, the research on Mercurius was a mammoth venture and I am satisfied that I know most of what the Russians are willing to share. The caveat is always how much else is known that is not shared. :) As to getting to talk to the right people about these ships, I can only wish you the very best of luck.

Thank you very much for the well wishes re the trip to SA. I am looking forward to see my mother and son again, but the trip itself will be a short one - no longer than 2 weeks. :)

Dear Friends

As I mentioned earlier, I had a five-day break over the Easter Weekend during which I intended to resume work on the WB.

And then ... Covid struck. Yes, I finally managed to contract Covid and that was the end of all best-made plans of men and mice. The WB will just have to wait for the summer holidays and my return from SA.

Back