HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Existing exercises with a beautiful result!
Well done, Heinrich.
Regards, Peter
Dankjewel Peter! I sincerely appreciate your comments. Your Bluenose is the epitome of artistic brilliance and therefore your opinion means a lot to me!

Oh wow, late to the parade. Just caught up on two days of posting and discussion on how- where-what to do about the gun ports. Now looking at the picture you posted I’m flabbergasted. You’ve done another great job. Your explanation of the method used is another item added to my “how am I gonna do this” book.

Jan

(BTW Ron, my #80 is in a couple month)
My dear friend ... thank you very much. Tonight, I am tired, but happy. I am really not a fast builder, so to get this far, means I had to grind in the shipyard. When I started the build, my goal was to finish the planking before I have to start my new work. Now I have shifted the goalposts to having a fully planked second deck by that time, so no rest for the wicked. ;)

Nice work! Now, do you have to go back and make gunport doors? And the hinges?
Thank you very much Phil! Yes ... that is exactly what I need to do once this side is completed and the port side is also done. With regards to the hinges, I will try Kolderstok's method, which I will show in detail when we get there. But ... metal work is not my strong suit! :eek:

Vele dank Peter! It is always so good to hear from you on SOS and to get your support. Thank you my friend!

Vele dank Peter! It is always so good to hear from you on SOS and to get your support. Thank you my friend!
Heinrich my friend, i am not coming nearly enough here in your building log on SOS, i just read your last 14 pages, and wat i just said is not complete, i really love to read this building log, outstanding work on the Willem Barentsz, and excellent postings, from you, and everybody visiting this log.

My number is 79 :)
@rtibbs. In some organizations the numbers 7 and 9 have special symbolic meanings. Enjoy your year all the way to 80 for which I am not sure what any connections are other than how you live that blink of an aging eye. Rich (PT-2)
Nothing calming about this my friend! :)

5 Hours in total. Starboard Side cut-outs done!

View attachment 281672
This little ship has HUGE gunports - 12mm x 12mm - that is bigger than on the Haarlem! :rolleyes:
Six in Five is not a bad ratio! I love the wood tones of your hull. RIch

Heinrich my friend, i am not coming nearly enough here in your building log on SOS, i just read your last 14 pages, and wat i just said is not complete, i really love to read this building log, outstanding work on the Willem Barentsz, and excellent postings, from you, and everybody visiting this log.
I am very lucky to have such a highly skilled and knowledgeable group of modelers follow this build, Peter. It's like having my own "think-tank". :)

@rtibbs. In some organizations the numbers 7 and 9 have special symbolic meanings. Enjoy your year all the way to 80 for which I am not sure what any connections are other than how you live that blink of an aging eye. Rich (PT-2)

Six in Five is not a bad ratio! I love the wood tones of your hull. RIch
Hello Rich - yes, it's not a bad ratio, but unfortunately that step did not include finishing off the ports. That was probably another 4 hours - and they're still not done.

The walnut that Kolderstok supplies with their kits is something else. It's "real" wood - therefore woodgrain and patterns in the wood, abound!

HEINRICH DEAR FRIEND WHAT A GREAT MODEL YOU ARE DOING AND THE EXPLANATIONS ARE A PRACTORIUM IN ITSELF A LOT TO KETCH UP ON WILL BE FOLLOWING THE PROGRESS ALSO SO FAST AND BEAUTIFUL. GOD BLESS YOU AND ANNA DON

Hello Rich - yes, it's not a bad ratio, but unfortunately that step did not include finishing off the ports. That was probably another 4 hours - and they're still not done.

The walnut that Kolderstok supplies with their kits is something else. It's "real" wood - therefore woodgrain and patterns in the wood, abound!
Those variation are what resonate with me far superior to the sterile repetition of plastic as in countertop overlays fake wood. Rich

Hello Daniel. I am very happy that you are enjoying the build log. Yes, there are a quite few modelers on SOS who prefer to scrape the decks rather than sand them. The idea is that the wood grain is maintained while the simulated caulking and treenailing (if there are any) will not fade out because of sanding. Personally I have never done this, but may give it a go when it comes to the upperdecks.
Many use a razor blade but I use a 5mm piece of cut glass with a sharp straight edge, it wont smudge particularly if you have used a lead pencil to simulate the caulking, I can recommend it.

Last edited:
HEINRICH DEAR FRIEND WHAT A GREAT MODEL YOU ARE DOING AND THE EXPLANATIONS ARE A PRACTORIUM IN ITSELF A LOT TO KETCH UP ON WILL BE FOLLOWING THE PROGRESS ALSO SO FAST AND BEAUTIFUL. GOD BLESS YOU AND ANNA DON
Hello my Dear Friend. I was wondering when your many shipbuilding journeys would lead you to the Willem Barentsz ROTF. Thank you so much for all the kind words, Don! This is my little baby so I am putting a lot of time and effort into her - not always easy, but always worth it. There are a few prospective builders of the model on the forum, so I am trying to be as complete as I can with the build log. I will give your regards to Anna. :)

Those variation are what resonate with me far superior to the sterile repetition of plastic as in countertop overlays fake wood. Rich
Absolutely Rich! And my other pet hate is the "wood" that kit manufacturers sometimes uses.

Many use a razor blade but I use a 5mm piece of cut glass with a sharp straight edge, it wont smudge particularly if use have used a lead pencil to simulate the caulking, I can recommend it.
Very interesting Richie - I have obviously never tried that before, but thank you very much for the tip. That is certainly something to look into when I start planking the "show" deck. I just have no idea where I am going to find something like that in China - that search should be an adventure in itself! :)

Wavy or wayward grain, vs straight grain, can certainly make things difficult. Especially if you're trying to bend it. And can make carving and cutting difficult too. The answer. VERY sharp tools!

Last edited:
Wavy or wayward grain, vs straight grain, can certainly make things difficult. Especially if you're trying to bend it. And can make carving and cutting difficult too. The answer. VERY sharp tools!
Absolutely Phil! Thumbsup That is why I am not shy to use new blades. The X-Acto is my key tool and I rely on it and use it for purposes far beyond what it was designed for - the downside though is that I use a lot of blades.

Absolutely Phil! Thumbsup That is why I am not shy to use new blades. The X-Acto is my key tool and I rely on it and use it for purposes far beyond what it was designed for - the downside though is that I use a lot of blades.
I have maybe 15 x-acto knives. But lately, I have been using a standard surgical scalpel. I too go through a lot of blades. I do keep a strop at the work bench with sharpening compound to touch up the edge as I need.

Back