HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Hello Everyone.

As I mentioned yesterday, the next task was removing the bulkheads and carrying on with the deck planking.

View attachment 284889

All the bulkheads - except number 7 and 10 have been removed. #7 will play an important role in locating the front wall of the canopy a little later on, while #10 will actually serve a triple purpose: that of brace, that of deck support and that of mast guide. Its role as mast guide - in particular - is ingenious and was conceived by @pietsan Piet during his build. I am only too happy to emulate his example and I will explain the function fully when we get to that point. For the removal of the bulkheads, the little Kolderstok saw with its flexible blade worked great!

View attachment 284893

All that is left of the bulkheads (and to think that I was so careful not to break them during the hull construction! :))

View attachment 284894
Planking the bow in and around all the nooks and crannies is a slow process which I am not going to hurry.

That is all for now - I will update the log as I go along.
1643052831226.jpeg
Something strange is going on:942C9A98-DD6B-40E0-B1C9-CE9812D4900A.jpeg

I have had the same problem using spring clamps or the “rabbit eared/binder clips”. I now add a buffer piece to prevent that.

Jan
Hello Jan. These were very small clamps, but with quite a bit of gripping power for their size. Obviously the pressure that was exerted onto a such a small area was not good. Even with the much more aggressive, but larger plastic clips, I have never encountered this.

@RDN1954 I love it that you are looking out for me Johan! The hole for the bowsprit has to be opened up very soon (as part of finishing the deck planking on the port side). It has to be done before the inner planking on the port side takes place otherwise the inner rail would be in the way. :)

I love the contrast between the decking and the grating as well as the railing. The beauty of your ship just keeps developing.
Thank you Daniel. That color contrast is also one of my favorite things about the little ship. That is why I have to be careful with the finishes that I choose - it would be a shame if the finishes affect the colors adversely.

A nice colorful and varying size of clamps you have. Here they call those small office clips "binder clips", well that is what the Air Force supply folks call them anyway.

Used to bind your reports together.
You are right Kurt - binder clips indeed! Yes, I have a lot of clamps and push pins - my builds regularly look like clamp forests! :)

You know, Heinrich, I have had that same staining effect on pear. It seems to happen when wood that has been soaked in water is put under compression...and it does not go away when the wood has fully dried - it needs to be sanded off. Hmm.
You are spot on Paul - I obviously soaked those inner wales to get them to follow the curve and as you have rightly said, pressure was then applied. So what could be the reason for that - obviously then, it is not the wood's fault. But what confuses me more, is that this was the first time I experienced it. Maybe the metal clamps???

Puzzled o_Oo_Oo_O
This all good information Paul and Heinrich. I have some pear billets, untouched as yet, which will be cut and used later on. I'll have to watch out for the "staining effect" from clamping. In my case I think some testing will be needed.

Your build is coming on beautifully Heinrich, it's a pleasure to follow along.

This all good information Paul and Heinrich. I have some pear billets, untouched as yet, which will be cut and used later on. I'll have to watch out for the "staining effect" from clamping. In my case I think some testing will be needed.

Your build is coming on beautifully Heinrich, it's a pleasure to follow along.
Thank you very much for the Kind words, Roger!

I have also done some further tests - in my case with the walnut, it only seems to happen when the wood has been soaked and I have used those small binder (metal) clamps.

Thank you very much for the Kind words, Roger!

I have also done some further tests - in my case with the walnut, it only seems to happen when the wood has been soaked and I have used those small binder (metal) clamps.
I found that the usage of metal clamps require some caution; on some of my frame parts I found indents due to being a little careless when applying the clamps. The wood being dry left no discoloration afterwards.

Water and Metal, under pressure, now there is a combination for generating stains, or early rust....
Kurt it is still open for debate whether the fact that the clips are metal had anything to do it. Paul (@dockattner ) experienced the same thing with plastic clamps too. It might be more a case of excessive pressure being exerted over a small area (in my case).

I found that the usage of metal clamps require some caution; on some of my frame parts I found indents due to being a little careless when applying the clamps. The wood being dry left no discoloration afterwards.
Johan, yes - I think that the edges on those binder clamps are relatively "sharp" and may well cause indentations in the wood - especially if the wood was still damp or wet (soft). I will try to steer clear of them in future.

Kurt it is still open for debate whether the fact that the clips are metal had anything to do it. Paul (@dockattner ) experienced the same thing with plastic clamps too. It might be more a case of excessive pressure being exerted over a small area (in my case).
Exactly my theory. Some clamps can exert a LOT of pressure and that seems to create a problem on soaked wood... It's not really a stain (as in transfer of something from the clamp to the wood) - it seems to be something within the wood itself that is changing.

Perhaps it is just the clamp crushing the cell walls in the wood. Any space in the cells being filled with air and slightly transparent might provide internal reflections that would lighten the appearance of the wood. Crushing the cells would make them more opaque and less reflective yielding a darker surface.

Just a guess.

Fair winds..... Ed.

Back