HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

With the Admiral at home this morning, I could ask her to take some "action shots" which would explain why Bulkhead #7 was left intact yesterday and the role that it plays.

微信图片_20220123085541.jpg
First off the front of Bulkhead #7 has to be very clearly scribed onto the inside of the bulwarks.

微信图片_20220123085541.jpg
The reason for that is that the inside of the bulwarks will be double-planked (in other words, it will also be planked on the inside) and the line that I have scribed will be the point up to which the planking needs to take place.

微信图片_20220123085548.jpg
Then the Kolderstok saw is called into action. Note how the flexibility of the blade allows it to lie absolutely flat on the deck, enabling the user to make absolutely level cuts. And as @Philski Phil has observed, it is a "pull-action saw" only.

微信图片_20220123085526.jpg
Now all that is required is a little back-and-forth wiggling ...

微信图片_20220123090003.jpg

And Voila ... we have one perfectly-removed bulkhead. The reason why I have obviously removed them now, is because I have to complete the deck-planking and the longer I wait, the more difficult it will be to get the blade into position between the bulkheads and the already-planked areas.

And oh ... by the way ... in case you wondered ... I am wearing what I call my "working pajamas" - when it is below 0 degrees Celsius, I deem it to be ridiculously cold for this South African!

And now, on with the deck planking!

With the Admiral at home this morning, I could ask her to take some "action shots" which would explain why Bulkhead #7 was left intact yesterday and the role that it plays.

View attachment 285168
First off the front of Bulkhead #7 has to be very clearly scribed onto the inside of the bulwarks.

View attachment 285169
The reason for that is that the inside of the bulwarks will be double-planked (in other words, it will also be planked on the inside) and the line that I have scribed will be the point up to which the planking needs to take place.

View attachment 285170
Then the Kolderstok saw is called into action. Note how the flexibility of the blade allows it to lie absolutely flat on the deck, enabling the user to make absolutely level cuts. And as @Philski Phil has observed, it is a "pull-action saw" only.

View attachment 285171

View attachment 285172

And Voila ... we have one perfectly-removed bulkhead. The reason why I have obviously removed them now, is because I have to complete the deck-planking and the longer I wait, the more difficult it will be to get the blade into position between the bulkheads and the already-planked areas.

And oh ... by the way ... in case you wondered ... I am wearing what I call my "working pajamas" - when it is below 0 degrees Celsius, I deem it to be ridiculously cold for this South African!

Nice to have a flexible, flush-cutting saw. Its coming along nicely!

Nice to have a flexible, flush-cutting saw. Its coming along nicely!
It's a very nice little saw, Phil. The deck planking is going slowly - around the curves, each plank has to be cut and shaped individually. That is the one drawback of a deck that cannot be planked before the hull planking takes place.

View attachment 285168

View attachment 285169

View attachment 285170

View attachment 285171

View attachment 285172

Good Morning Heinrich- 0•C don’t know how you do it- Cape Town winters are bad enough. Great action shots and those angles really show off the beauty of the WB. I agree with all the previous comments- you have done extremely fine crafting thus far. You are converting some guys to Dutch ships through this build I have noticed. Cheers

View attachment 285168

View attachment 285169

View attachment 285170

View attachment 285171

View attachment 285172

Nice action shots Heinrich,

I would also have to say that little saw looks quite handy.

As for 0 degrees C, I would definitely agree that is a bit chilly.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Good Morning Heinrich- 0•C don’t know how you do it- Cape Town winters are bad enough. Great action shots and those angles really show off the beauty of the WB. I agree with all the previous comments- you have done extremely fine crafting thus far. You are converting some guys to Dutch ships through this build I have noticed. Cheers
Thank you very much Grant. I am happy with the progress thus far, so no complaints there. However, there is something that I want to point out on the deck.

微信图片_20220123090003.jpg
Despite my best efforts I could not get the planks to butt up perfectly against the bow as indicated by the blue arrow. They are as tight as they can get, but they do not follow a perfectly symmetrical line. Under normal circumstances this would have irritated the living daylights out of me, but please see the pic below.

微信图片_20220123090003 - 副本.jpg

The area indicated by the yellow lines will receive an inner planking as well at a later stage which will automatically correct that irritation.

Nice action shots Heinrich,

I would also have to say that little saw looks quite handy.

As for 0 degrees C, I would definitely agree that is a bit chilly.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Stephen. Like @Dematosdg Daniel would say: "A picture says a thousand words"! :) The first winter that I was in China I thought that it would be the end of me. To us Capetonians, 10 degrees Celsius is about as cold as it gets and while upcountry the temperatures can also plummet to 0 degrees at times, it is a different kind of cold!

Last edited:
Thank you very much Grant. I am happy with the progress thus far, so no complaints there. However, there is something that I want to point out on the deck.

View attachment 285223
Despite my best efforts I could not get the planks to butt up perfectly against the bow as indicated by the blue arrow. They are as tight as they can get, but they do not follow a perfectly symmetrical line. Under normal circumstances this would have irritated the living daylights out of me, but please see the pic below.

View attachment 285220

The area indicated by the yellow lines will receive an inner planking as well at a later stage which will automatically correct that irritation.
Heinrich once those are in you won’t see your irritation. I think Hans (and your experience) worked in this factor and the deck planking after the bulkhead removal. On the Mantua Victory, following instructions, I planked deck first and now there are two (one port one starboard) slightly showing. Experience and planning counts for sure. Will have to find a barrel on rum to cover. Cheers

Heinrich once those are in you won’t see your irritation. I think Hans (and your experience) worked in this factor and the deck planking after the bulkhead removal. On the Mantua Victory, following instructions, I planked deck first and now there are two (one port one starboard) slightly showing. Experience and planning counts for sure. Will have to find a barrel on rum to cover. Cheers
Grant, you are right. Trust me, I have already checked - otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. :oops: If that was the case, you would have witnessed a deck "strip-down"!

Prima vakmanschap Heinrich, mijn vriend

Excellent craftsmanship Heinrich, my friend. She is looking beautifull.
Thank you very much my dear friend - your kind and complimentary words are most appreciated. Dankjewel mij vriend!

Wow Daniel - that is high praise indeed, my friend! I love the lines of the WB but I have often thought that maybe it's case of "beauty is in the of the beholder". It is therefore very gratifying to hear that so many of our members share that opinion. I am also very pleased about the natural color of the walnut-covered hull.

About the Fluit - I know that Hans is now adding final details, so it will not be long now before it becomes available. In the meantime, here are two of my favorite pics of the Fluit for you to enjoy! :)

View attachment 285070

View attachment 285071
Very nice looking model, except for the stern. I just can't overlook it and I'm very inclined to use a nickname from an old WW II bomber, known as big a.. bird... No offense though, from the looks of it, a complex build ánd a beautiful reflection of the Dutch rich seafaring history.

Very nice looking model, except for the stern. I just can't overlook it and I'm very inclined to use a nickname from an old WW II bomber, known as big a.. bird... No offense though, from the looks of it, a complex build ánd a beautiful reflection of the Dutch rich seafaring history.
Hello Johan - which stern are you referring to - the Willem Barentsz or the Fluit? :)

View attachment 285168

View attachment 285169

View attachment 285170

View attachment 285171

View attachment 285172

This is definitely not a build for the faint hearted or the less than very experienced builder.
I can't suppress a feeling of admiration, awe and horror when I read through your log. Keep your surprises coming.

Once visited Shenyang midwinter. Only had Dutch wintergear with me and temps dropped to minus 15*C...

This is definitely not a build for the faint hearted or the less than very experienced builder.
I can't suppress a feeling of admiration, awe and horror when I read through your log. Keep your surprises coming.

Once visited Shenyang midwinter. Only had Dutch wintergear with me and temps dropped to minus 15*C...
Thank you very much Johan - trust me you are not the only one who is in sometimes and awe and horror!!! ROTF And I suppose it's extra bad if it is the builder who experiences those emotions! :) But believe me, you will also do a fair amount of cutting on the Bluenose - just do not try to emulate @Peter Voogt Peter.

Yes, China can be bitterly cold during the winter - and obviously it gets considerably worse the further you go north!

Back