HMAV BOUNTY - A “face lift “

Good afternoon Roger. Thank you. I agree however in my case it is more of - I’m not very good at making coils and this is the lazy option. How are your stunning carronades coming on? Cheers Grant

Hi Grant, not lazy at all. I know there has been much discussion over how to display the gun/carronade tackle. Coiled neatly as though ready for inspection. Faked (flaked) on deck near the trucks/sleds. Deployed ready for action or, as you have done, secured and ready for sea. A matter of taste I know and of course modellers interpretative licence :).

I have just finished the first eight carronades for the port side but they are not rigged yet. Time permitting I’ll post a small update later today. Thanks for asking.

Good morning gentlemen

I lost the bet. When Justin gets back from Singapore I think I’m in for some banter.

I had to buy some brass sheets for mast bands.
727E9C99-5FEB-4953-94D9-412909629C1A.jpeg
R120.00 - so I’m in for $7.00. Eish;)

I decided to renovate and modify the exsisting masts. Sanded and stained oak. Cut the top section into a square and the sides below to fit the cheeks.

632BF5D6-D155-415F-B210-A3D5A35926E6.jpeg
The cheeks and cap are made from laminated walnut, the trestle trees, cross trees, chock and bolsters I cut from the left over scrap.

Still WIP :
626FB048-DD0F-4D97-9366-1D8A537716C5.jpegB2A90ECF-DF6A-4E3C-8124-434C513FBC1B.jpegF24B914D-AC1E-4400-8D59-E7D30D909743.jpeg45A27ADB-62F0-4133-812E-DFE345FE9165.jpeg0D76AA32-DB00-4E3D-A271-5569FAA46CFC.jpeg

Cheers Grant

Wow, just caught up on your recent work.
Very nice Grant, details everywhere are beautiful including the framed rudder, balustrade at steps, pumps and cannons are superb.
This beauty and detail is seen from every angle of your photos and not at all degraded in the macros.
Respect+++
Michael
Good afternoon Micheal. Thank you very much indeed. Cheers Grant

Well, I know you don’t want to cheat your son out of a friendly wager - but brass shim stock hardly qualifies for an expense! You needed it anyway for some pending project that has nothing to do with a boat model. :D

Truth be told - you were never going to win this bet anyway. I have already paid for my current project three times with cost overruns…ROTF

Good morning gentlemen

I lost the bet. When Justin gets back from Singapore I think I’m in for some banter.

I had to buy some brass sheets for mast bands.
View attachment 472702
R120.00 - so I’m in for $7.00. Eish;)

I decided to renovate and modify the exsisting masts. Sanded and stained oak. Cut the top section into a square and the sides below to fit the cheeks.

View attachment 472709
The cheeks and cap are made from laminated walnut, the trestle trees, cross trees, chock and bolsters I cut from the left over scrap.

Still WIP :
View attachment 472704View attachment 472705View attachment 472706View attachment 472707View attachment 472708

Cheers Grant
Nice work, Grant.
And what is $7,00? Almost nothing. So ……
Regards, Peter

Well, I know you don’t want to cheat your son out of a friendly wager - but brass shim stock hardly qualifies for an expense! You needed it anyway for some pending project that has nothing to do with a boat model. :D

Truth be told - you were never going to win this bet anyway. I have already paid for my current project three times with cost overruns…ROTF
Good morning Paul. At the time the challenge was agreed upon I was confident I would pull it off. Unfortunately as I went along the face lift changed to a renovation to a full rebuild. I was in for a hiding no doubt. Non the less, being a stubborn South African I gave it a go. Now the big question- do the flood gates open……. ;).
Cost overruns = Vacation trips to appease the Admiral ;)
Now we know why Paul it’s always on vacation ROTF
The best way to overcome temptation is to give in to it ROTF ROTF ROTF
sound advice JimROTF
Nice work, Grant.
And what is $7,00? Almost nothing. So ……
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Thank you very much. That it is however the $7 will tick up some more now. I need to establish my punishment for failure from Justin before I start pushing that online spend button;).

Cheers Grant

Good morning
Not much shipyard time lately. I managed to do a little fettling on the wales (got a leakage on my tape seal visible just below the scupper) also added some scupper exits.
CCCF816C-5F18-4802-83F3-AE87C8605766.jpeg
The hanging buntline blocks under the mast top:
85E101F2-5765-4697-B1E5-2D623EFC67F8.jpegAC165A6B-C460-4B71-93EF-275D8C20C2EF.jpeg
The toggles were made from toothpicks pulled through my homemade drawplate to 0.6mm. I may stain these oak, however I’m quite liking the contrast:
2D6EFB2E-460C-4320-A31B-6709217AC88F.jpeg
OH- I added the mast bands from my new brass sheets cut to 1mm and blackened.

Note: the deadeyes have not been seated yet.

I have decided to use decent blocks and ropes. I will run out however she is turning out better than expected so going to have to buy some more. I have a ton of 6mm (too big tho) and some 3,4,5mm in my left over pile. I will go as long as I can.

My punishment for breaking the contract : I have to give this Bounty to Justin for his home. That is only a pleasure…..best punishment ever:D.
Cheers Grant

Good morning
Not much shipyard time lately. I managed to do a little fettling on the wales (got a leakage on my tape seal visible just below the scupper) also added some scupper exits.
View attachment 474277
The hanging buntline blocks under the mast top:
View attachment 474278View attachment 474279
The toggles were made from toothpicks pulled through my homemade drawplate to 0.6mm. I may stain these oak, however I’m quite liking the contrast:
View attachment 474280
OH- I added the mast bands from my new brass sheets cut to 1mm and blackened.

Note: the deadeyes have not been seated yet.

I have decided to use decent blocks and ropes. I will run out however she is turning out better than expected so going to have to buy some more. I have a ton of 6mm (too big tho) and some 3,4,5mm in my left over pile. I will go as long as I can.

My punishment for breaking the contract : I have to give this Bounty to Justin for his home. That is only a pleasure…..best punishment ever:D.
Cheers Grant
Very impressive work Grant
Congratulations

Back