HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very good work - well done
I just wondered about the opening in the stern for the rudder.
Will you cover the opening with a leather or canvas, than the rectangle form is ok, because it will be not visible.
If you keep it not covered the rudder would need an round or better oval opening, so it can move and "einschlagen" (forgot the english term)
View attachment 291717
The original draft clearly showes an egg-like hole pattern, not rectangular. This last one woud have affected the angles of rudder head's rotation.

Hallo everybody. Thanks for all the likes. Kurt and Tobias: I think I'm going to follow Your idea of placing rectangular deck sections under the cannons.
DSC02470.JPG
DSC02474.JPG
Continuation of the deck furniture construction. I put few more planks in the middle of the deck. I also build jeer and topsail bits and windlass. For windlass spindle I used octagonal wood segments. I drilled 1,5mm holes and with the help of "complicated tool" (square brass rod 2x2mm sharpened at one end) formed the square openings.
DSC02437 (2).JPG
DSC02441.JPG
DSC02449.JPG
DSC02462.JPG
DSC02463.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Thanks for all the likes. Kurt and Tobias: I think I'm going to follow Your idea of placing rectangular deck sections under the cannons.
View attachment 295713
View attachment 295714
Continuation of the deck furniture construction. I put few more planks in the middle of the deck. I also build jeer and topsail bits and windlass. For windlass spindle I used octagonal wood segments. I drilled 1,5mm holes and with the help of "complicated tool" (square brass rod 2x2mm sharpened at one end) formed the square openings.
View attachment 295717
View attachment 295718
View attachment 295719
View attachment 295720
View attachment 295721
Greetings
PeterM

Humblely, I don't find that solution very effettive. Then I'd rather skipp the whole starbord battery. To be totally honest, I don't like guns at all on upper deck of any admiralty model. Great job, anyway. Just a matter of personal taste. Cheers!

Hallo everybody. Dear albertmary, just as You said: it is a matter of personal taste and I like cannons, especially when they are fully rigged. Small update: the construction of the cannons is completed, now they have to be rigged.
DSC02476 (2).JPG
DSC02477 (2).JPG
DSC02479.JPG
DSC02486.JPG
DSC02488.JPG
DSC02491.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Dear albertmary, just as You said: it is a matter of personal taste and I like cannons, especially when they are fully rigged. Small update: the construction of the cannons is completed, now they have to be rigged.
View attachment 297715
View attachment 297716
View attachment 297717
View attachment 297718
View attachment 297719
View attachment 297720
Greetings
PeterM
The idea with the planking under the starboard guns is good, but I am wondering if it would have looked better if the planking had not been cut off to form a square, but to have every other plank protruding somewhat, alternating from right to left?
Just my thought.
I am looking forward to commencing my Alert. Still some way off as my current ship ist still awaiting the completion of the rigging.

The idea with the planking under the starboard guns is good, but I am wondering if it would have looked better if the planking had not been cut off to form a square, but to have every other plank protruding somewhat, alternating from right to left?
Just my thought.
I am looking forward to commencing my Alert. Still some way off as my current ship ist still awaiting the completion of the rigging.
Just In case, I quote this last solution.

I personally like Peter's solution very much because as we can see on the port side, Peter also made a straight planking with no offset, bevel or other flourishes. I think that's a very personal touch that Peter brings to his model and that's a good thing.

Hallo everybody. Thanks for all the likes. I started to rigg the cannons. I use polyester rigging ropes from Morope: 1mm diameter for the breeching rope and 0,25mm for the gun tackles and 3mm single/double pearwood blocks. The handling is a bit tricky for my thick fingers but with the help of the "third hand" I managed it quite well.
DSC02537.JPG
DSC02516 (2).JPG
DSC02522 (2).JPG
DSC02528 (2).JPG
DSC02533.JPG
The traversing tackles will be installed later since I do not know at the moment at which distance to place them.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your kind comments and likes. The work on the upper deck continues. Below some pictures to demonstrate the progress. The ship starts to take its final shape.
DSC02546 (2).JPG

DSC02550.JPG

DSC02555.JPG
DSC02556.JPG
DSC02560.JPG
DSC02562.JPG
DSC02563.JPG
DSC02566 (2).JPG
DSC02568.JPG
What is still missing are the traversing tackels, guardrail stanchions, swivel guns and anchors and than the model will be completed.
Greetings
PeterM

Back