HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Aha...here you go, Peter! Now it is a difference, and agree with all the comments - very nice contrast. But wait...there will be black wales...soon...

Paul, Adi, Tobias and Jim, thanks for Your opinions. At the beginning I was not sure if it turns out OK but now I'm quite satisfied with the result. Yes Jim, the wales will be black as well. Tobias, I use regular drawing ink. Some corrections were necessary where rests of glue sticked to the wood surface. That is how it looks now. I will cover it with linseed oil varnish when it dries.
DSC02255.JPG
DSC02270 (2).JPG
DSC02275.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your interest and the likes. The side elements of the stern and the wales add to the contrast of the warm brown color of the ship and the black color of those parts.
DSC02274 (2).JPG
DSC02290.JPG
DSC02289 (2).JPG
DSC02281.JPG
DSC02287.JPG
I still have to complete the planks and the wale on the other side of the hull.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Thanks for all the likes and comments. Planking on both sides is completed. I'm not planning to plank further because I want to get as much light inside the ship as possible.
DSC02317 (2).JPG
The installed rudder completed the work on the stern.
DSC02298.JPG

DSC02305.JPG
DSC02312 (2).JPG
DSC02314 (2).JPG
DSC02322.JPG
Next step will be the cannons.
Greetings
PeterM

Very good work - well done
I just wondered about the opening in the stern for the rudder.
Will you cover the opening with a leather or canvas, than the rectangle form is ok, because it will be not visible.
If you keep it not covered the rudder would need an round or better oval opening, so it can move and "einschlagen" (forgot the english term)
DSC02314 (2).JPG

Dear Uwe, I can fully understand Your question. Unfortunatelly, the opening for the rudder can not be made any wider because of the couter timbers below the planking. Trident Model did not plan to cover the stern with planks. The following pictures show the described problem. I will have to live with it since I'm not planning to cover the opening.
DSC02329.JPG
DSC02333.JPG
Greetings
Peter

Hallo everybody, thanks for Your interest in my log. I started working on cannons. All wooden parts in timber boards were well prepared in my kit by Trident Model, so that cutting them out caused no problems at all. They were cleaned, polished and glued together. The barrels were polished and after treating with blackening agent (see construction of the stove) rubbed with graphite powder. The wheels were cut out, glued together and polished on the rotary tool. The 0,6mm holes were drilled and 0,5mm brass pins inserted.
DSC02336 (2).JPG
DSC02391 (2).JPG
DSC02382.JPG
DSC02337 (2).JPG
DSC02338 (2).JPG
DSC02349.JPG
DSC02374 (3).JPG
DSC02398 (2).JPG
Still ten more to go.
Greetings
PeterM

Last edited:
Hallo everybody, thanks for Your interest in my log. I started working on cannons. All wooden parts in timber boards were well prepared in my kit by Trident Model, so that cutting them out caused no problems at all. They were cleaned, polished and glued together. The barrels were polished and after treating with blackening agent (see construction of the stove) rubbed with graphite powder. The wheels were cut out, glued together and polished on the rotary tool. The 0,6mm holes were drilled and 0,5mm brass pins inserted.
View attachment 292426
View attachment 292427
View attachment 292428
View attachment 292429
View attachment 292430
View attachment 292431
View attachment 292432
View attachment 292433
Still ten more to go.
Greetings
PeterM
Hi Pete,
what effect does rubbing with graphite powder have on the blackened (burnished) cannons?
Cheers,
Trevor

A topic for the tricks and tips section of this site perhaps?
I treated my Endeavour anchors in aluminium in a similar way. After blackening I rubbed the surface of the anchors gently with a soft cloth which gave the surface a similar result to graphite.
I'll be glad to take on the procedure using graphite powder when I'm building the Alert. Some way down the road, though, as the Endeavour is a long way off from being completed.

Catching up on your build as well. I like the black rails and whales. You convinced me to do the same when, or if, I reach that point in the build :D

Hi Dan, first of all, welcome to the Alert group. I'm happy that You like the black/braun combi as well. Of course You will reach that point and beyond it to the very end of the build. In my opinion the model is very well prepared and the materials are of good quality. The manual is a bit "thin" (especially till the end of the build) but You can rely on the help of the Alert group.
So keep it up and happy modelling.

Back