HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo everybody, few days ago I received the Alert kit from Trident Models. Everything went quickly and without any problems. I'd like to thank the administrators UweK, Zoly99sask and Jimsky for their help in ordering procedure, and of course Trident Model for the beautifull kit. I plan to build the model with the help of the instruction manual, AotS by Peter Goodwin on Alert and what is very important: the detailed build logs of the Alert Group Bild community. This is going to be my first build log on this forum.

I started with the keel, placing all the parts into the keel template after cleaning. Everything fitted well together and could be glued. I also sanded the cuts for the metal parts already at this stage of construction (they were a bit tight) which is easier than later with the frames attached.
I had a first look at the berth/construction jig/space ship and after some slight sanding started to glue it together. I did not glue nr.15 into the berth.
View attachment 260025View attachment 260026View attachment 260027View attachment 260028View attachment 260030View attachment 260032
That's it for the moment. To be continued soon.
Greetings
PeterM
Hallo @PeterM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I was on alert for your Birthday, and guess what? Today is yours. Have the best one celebrating with your family and friends, and be alert to your Alert build log. Happy Birthday! Birthday-Cake

Hallo everybody. After constructing seven cannons, I wanted to see them on the deck, so I started planking the upper deck. I'm still not sure how much of the deck will be covered with planks and if I should install all 12 cannons or leave it with one side. What do You think about it?
DSC02413 (2).JPGDSC02407.JPG
DSC02408.JPG
DSC02409.JPG
DSC02411 (2).JPG
DSC02423.JPG
DSC02426.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

I would also not plank the other side, but would add on some areas 2 or 3 rows of planks just behind the guns. So that appr. 1/3rd of the deck area is planked
Just an opinion

I would also not plank the other side, but would add on some areas 2 or 3 rows of planks just behind the guns. So that appr. 1/3rd of the deck area is planked
Just an opinion
Just my idea too: Two additional rows of planks will give the guns more visual support - for this you sacrifice a larger part of the substructure. It is a question of what you ultimately want to achieve more.

PeterM,
Dein Modellbau ist m.M.n. spitzenmäßig, wirklich überzeugend, handwerklich sehr gut gelungen (In my opinion your modelling is top-notch, really convincing, very well done in terms of craftsmanship)!

Fritz Baur (schiffbaur)

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your opinions and proposals. I'm still thinking how to plank the deck. I would like to show all the cannons but I don't want to plank the second side of the deck. I don't want to put them directly on the deck structure, because they look unstable (some wheels hang in the air) and the gun barrels are too close to the gunports. So I thought of an option to put the cannons on "stilts". What do You think about this? (the solution shown is temporary, in the end version the small pieces of the planks would be cut in a "clean" way).
DSC02433.JPG
I also started with the deck "furniture" and constructed the hatches. I had some problems with the orientation of the gratings. Should the upper bars run along the deck or across it from board to board? Finally I oriented myself on the AOTS and have chosen the first version.
DSC02427.JPG
DSC02431.JPG
I plan to place 1-2 planks on both sides of the hatches and that would be it (I need them to fix the back of the cannons).
Greetings
PeterM

I think rectangular sections of planking just large enough to support each cannon could be used. Using the stilts, the cannons don't appear to have proper support, which confuses the eyes. Also, the stilts do not project out from underneath the carriage wheels, and are hard to see. Make the deck extend at least the width of a wheel. That way, the viewer can see that deck is supposed to be there, but was cut away to allow view of the interior of the hull.

Hello Peter, good question! There are of course several options, but which one is the right one? The first thing that came to my mind was the same answer @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS suggested making full panels under the turrets. But you could also depict it with two continuous planks under the wheels that are a little wider than the whole gun or even install them on the deck. I think you still have enough view of the lower level.

Dear Peter
I'm enjoying following your wonderful build, it's so accurate and professional!
I missed your birthday, but still I Hope you have a great birthday.:)Birthday-CakeBeer

Back