HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo everybody. Shit happens. It was only a matter of time, everything went too smooth till now. When fitting the first beams of the upper deck I was shocked. There was a 15mm shift between the lower and the upper beams (look at the pictures above). This way nothing will fit; the mast, the kitchen, the cabins, will be all out of place in relation to the upper deck. I found no easy way to correct it, so I had to dismantle everything inside the ship including the thick stuff for the lower deck which will have to be moved 15mm in the stern direction. Almost everything will have to be adjusted. That is the prize one has to pay if you don't think twice, three times before installing something.

DSC02007.JPGDSC02008.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

Thanks god, that you were avle to remove the parts without bigger damages - I guess you are working with waterbased wood glue?
Hinterher ist man immer schlauer.
A good modeler is accepting his own mistakes - you should not make the same twice
Very good decision to remove and restart

Hi Peter,

Sorry to see all this work was for nothing. What went wrong? If I remind correctly there is a template in the kit to properly position the shelfclamps. I also saw that after I fitted them :) but I used the deck beam positions towards the frame positions to allign them, sofar that worked fine.
Thumbs up for you to make this demolition step it only will make it an even better model.

And psst, we have all been in such a situation through out our modeling years.

Hallo everybody. Thanks a lot for Your kind sympathy. Your opinions confirm my decision to rebuild the ship interior. Thanks god the mistake was easier repaired than I thought although there was a lot of fitting and reconstructing of some parts. Now the deck beams are positioned directly under each other as it should be (see the red arrow on the picture).
DSC02011_LI.jpg
DSC02017 (2).JPG
This was the good news. The bad news is the fact that the cabin partition walls don't fit the ship profile, they are too short/ too small for the width of the hull. So I will have to improvise and probably construct the simplified walls from scratch material (swiss pear), we will see.
Once more, thank You for keeping up my spirit, it helps a lot.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody, thanks for all the likes. As mentioned before, I had to decide what to do with the cabin walls. Either skip the walls or construct new ones. I have chosen an interim solution and build only the bulkheads. I used the card board templates and transfered the shapes onto the 2mm swiss pear board. I cut the grooves into the boards imitating the individual planking. I also constructed further elements of the lower deck such as sailroom and the brick base of the stove.
DSC02025.JPG
DSC02032.JPG
DSC02030.JPG
DSC02040.JPG
DSC02044.JPG
The next step will be the stove and than I can move to the main deck.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody, The next step is the stove. All the parts fit well together, only the holes had to be drilled. After mechanical cleaning the parts were degreased in acetone, than rinsed with water and finally treated with blackening agent (based on Selenium dioxide). After blackening (approx. 1-2min.) the stove components were again rinsed with water and dried. After drying all the parts were glued together with CA glue.
DSC02034.JPG
DSC02046.JPG
DSC02050.JPG
DSC02053.JPG
DSC02072.JPG
DSC02060.JPG
And that's it. Now I will start the construction of the main deck.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Jim and Uwe thanks for the kind comments and all the others for the likes. While continuing the construction of the main deck I had to check/adjust the position of the openings for the water pumps. To do this, I needed the pumps, so I put them together after the long search of the wooden parts. The metal parts were no problem but the wooden ones were not in the manual's part list. Finally I found the pieces in the kit box on the separate board nr. 26.
DSC02103.JPG
DSC02106.JPG
DSC02107.JPG
DSC02110.JPG
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02112.JPG
After small corrections the pumps fit perfectly and can be removed now . They will be placed in their final positon later on.
Greetings
PeterM

It’s a funny coincidence. I was also working on the pumps yesterday and spent Considerable time looking for the wooden materials. I wish I would have seen your post sooner!
Great work by the way, beautiful craftsmanship.
Regards, Dave
Hi Dave,

We mis your build log :). You can still start one, the more the merrier.

Hallo everybody. Thanks for all the comments and likes. The construction of the upper deck structure is finished.
DSC02120.JPG
To prepare the "big cut" the templates provided by Trident Model are very useful and make the job much easier.
DSC02125.JPG
And now, the big moment: the first frames were cut within the hull structure to the proper length according to the template markings. I used two different saws, depending on the width of the slot between the single frames.
DSC02139.JPG
DSC02131.JPG
The overall structure is still stable, no frames break out till now, we will see how long.
Greetings
PeterM

Back