HMS Blandford 1:48 POF Modelship Dockyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ken

Hello fellow modellers, this is going to be my build log of HMS Blandford a 1:48 scale POF model from Modelship Dockyard

000.jpg.
Many of you will know me from some of my other logs but for those that don’t I will introduce myself. I am a 76 year old retired Police Detective and I live in the north west of England with my wife. I started building model ships about twenty years ago when I retired, they have been quite an assortment but all from kits and all plank on bulkhead, this is going to be my first attempt at a POF build, I am both nervous and excited at the same time as this type of model is probably going to stretch my abilities to the limit.

This has come about because I have been seduced by reading the increasing amount of build logs on these types of kits and I am in awe of every one that I’ve seen, without exception. I note that they are being built by the more accomplished modellers on this forum, even so many are encountering some difficulties, it does cause me some concern but this will be my humble attempt.

My actual build log will start in my next post when I have studied the kit more thoroughly and am ready to proceed, initially though the kit does look to be very good quality.

Here is my workbench, it is in the corner of our home study, no dedicated workshop I’m afraid so I’m not allowed to make much dust, I believe that this may be an issue with this type of build but I’ll address that when it arises. Except for the Proxxon sander and drills I have no power tools, I do all my work by hand.

I am showing you some pictures of the models that I have built and are displayed around the house. You can probably imagine the conversation with my wife, “What do you need another kit for, haven’t you got enough! Where on earth are you going to put it?” I didn’t like to say, “There’s always the kitchen dear”

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellow modellers, this is going to be my build log of HMS Blandford a 1:48 scale POF model from Modelship Dockyard

View attachment 394751.
Many of you will know me from some of my other logs but for those that don’t I will introduce myself. I am a 76 year old retired Police Detective and I live in the north west of England with my wife. I started building model ships about twenty years ago when I retired, they have been quite an assortment but all from kits and all plank on bulkhead, this is going to be my first attempt at a POF build, I am both nervous and excited at the same time as this type of model is probably going to stretch my abilities to the limit.

This has come about because I have been seduced by reading the increasing amount of build logs on these types of kits and I am in awe of every one that I’ve seen, without exception. I note that they are being built by the more accomplished modellers on this forum, even so many are encountering some difficulties, it does cause me some concern but this will be my humble attempt.

My actual build log will start in my next post when I have studied the kit more thoroughly and am ready to proceed, initially though the kit does look to be very good quality.

Here is my workbench, it is in the corner of our home study, no dedicated workshop I’m afraid so I’m not allowed to make much dust, I believe that this may be an issue with this type of build but I’ll address that when it arises. Except for the Proxxon sander and drills I have no power tools, I do all my work by hand.

I am showing you some pictures of the models that I have built and are displayed around the house. You can probably imagine the conversation with my wife, “What do you need another kit for, haven’t you got enough! Where on earth are you going to put it?” I didn’t like to say, “There’s always the kitchen dear”

View attachment 394743

View attachment 394744

View attachment 394745

View attachment 394746

View attachment 394747

View attachment 394748

View attachment 394749

View attachment 394750
Nice to see the start of your build-log of the Blandford, Ken. And for sure: retired Police Detectives do like a PoF build! I am also one of them. :) I placed my chair.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Ken,
all of your ships, and other models have always been top quality. We are blessed to have you on the forum. You say you are 76 ! Wow, to you, I am probably just a kid at 66. I just turned 66 a month ago.

You, good sir, are one steely-eyed, top-drawer , A+ model shipwright! Thank you for sharing some of your efforts with us. I have but one constructive criticism and that is the choice of backgrounds in a couple of your mechanismo photos. Might I suggest sticking with a solid color, say a medium shade of blue or gray, that will serve to highlight the exceptionally clean rigging rather than something like that quilt or bright sunlight pouring through a window, which obscures so much beautiful detail aloft?
Loved that sweet locomotive and tender, too. What scale is she?
This is a bit of a non sequitur but it's amusing to discover that quite a few of my fellow retired Detectives seem to frequent these pages. :cool:

Dear Ken,
congratulations on your new project,
I have no doubt that the connection between this impressive model and your proven abilities will bring a very beautiful and impressive result. I wish you a lot of fun with the process
it's a beautiful model display!
I will join the group of curious followers

Ken,
all of your ships, and other models have always been top quality. We are blessed to have you on the forum. You say you are 76 ! Wow, to you, I am probably just a kid at 66. I just turned 66 a month ago.
Hi Donnie, Thank you very much for such a complement, for a youngster you are most kind. Your builds too are pretty impressive, and you are amongst those responsible for leading me astray. Ken

You, good sir, are one steely-eyed, top-drawer , A+ model shipwright! Thank you for sharing some of your efforts with us. I have but one constructive criticism and that is the choice of backgrounds in a couple of your mechanismo photos. Might I suggest sticking with a solid color, say a medium shade of blue or gray, that will serve to highlight the exceptionally clean rigging rather than something like that quilt or bright sunlight pouring through a window, which obscures so much beautiful detail aloft?
Loved that sweet locomotive and tender, too. What scale is she?
This is a bit of a non sequitur but it's amusing to discover that quite a few of my fellow retired Detectives seem to frequent these pages. :cool:
Hi Kilo, thank you very much sir, that’s some praise you’ve heaped on me, I only hope that I can live up to your expectation. I couldn’t do much about the background on those pics as that is how they sit in my home, my wife does quilting and tapestry and I have to share the available space with her crafts, but you can see better pics on my log of HMS Ajax which I have just finished. I can’t remember the scale of the loco but it’s 80cm long, it’s a Pacific, a kit from Occre, there is a build log on it. You’re right about Police, they’re like buses, when you need one they’re never around but when you don’t there’s plenty. Welcome to my build, I hope that you enjoy what you see. Ken

Dear Ken,
congratulations on your new project,
I have no doubt that the connection between this impressive model and your proven abilities will bring a very beautiful and impressive result. I wish you a lot of fun with the process
it's a beautiful model display!
I will join the group of curious followers
Hi Shota, We’ve been followers for some time and I always appreciate your comments, coming from such an accomplished and dedicated modeller they are very welcome. Glad to have you aboard. Ken

What an impressive collection of beautiful models! Could you Identify them for those of us who are untutored as to their identities?
My partner in crime working on the 18th Spanish74 "El Terrible" for the Rogers Collection at the USNA museum is a retired detective. I must say he is remarkably dogged when it comes to researching, identifying and sorting out all the correct period 18thc. rigging practices for a Spanish ship of the line. The fastidiousness and attention to detail remined me of his. Must be in the detective DNA!
I too look forward to following your build.

View attachment 394751.

View attachment 394743

View attachment 394744

View attachment 394745

View attachment 394746

View attachment 394747

View attachment 394748

View attachment 394749

View attachment 394750
Hi Ken. Your collection of models look excellent, very precise and clean. l'm sure you're going to do this kit justice! Looking forward to following along

Hi Ken. Your collection of models look excellent, very precise and clean. l'm sure you're going to do this kit justice! Looking forward to following along
Hi Keith, Great having you aboard, you’re my safety net, I need you to keep looking over my shoulder, please feel that you can put me straight if I veer off course. Ken

Last edited:
What an impressive collection of beautiful models! Could you Identify them for those of us who are untutored as to their identities?
My partner in crime working on the 18th Spanish74 "El Terrible" for the Rogers Collection at the USNA museum is a retired detective. I must say he is remarkably dogged when it comes to researching, identifying and sorting out all the correct period 18thc. rigging practices for a Spanish ship of the line. The fastidiousness and attention to detail remined me of his. Must be in the detective DNA!
I too look forward to following your build.
Hi Peter and thanks for joining me. The models are first HMS Ajax, I have just finished my build log on this and more detailed photos are at the end of that log. The second is the Sovereign of the Seas, the third is the Agamemnon, a 64 gun ship of Nelson, the fourth is Royal William, pictures of this are in the completed models section. The fifth is the Amerigo Vespucci, I did a comprehensive build log of this and there are also detailed photos in the gallery. Ken

Back