HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

Is it possible that perhaps the pumps were made from lead or copper? The use of lead back then was fairly common. I will leave this here as food for thought, but came across this:
There were basically only three types of ship bilge pump used from the 1400s to the 1800s:
--burr pumps: basically a cone-shaped leather bucket that drew water up a tube
--chain pumps: a continuous chain with small burrs or buckets to catch water and pull it up, running over upper and lower sprockets
--common or “suction” pump: the earliest representation is from 1431. Use on ships was probably from sometime in late 1400s to early 1500s. The first recorded use of metal parts in ship pumps was 1526. Usually they were made entirely of wood until the late 1700s because the only tools available for boring iron tubes were those to make cannon. In 1712, the first practical steam engine was invented by Newcomen. A steam engine needed the piston and cylinder in very tight tolerances. Initially made by hand, ground and filed…further developments in boring machines were needed before steam could progress, and it wasn’t until those machines were made that all-metal pumps could be manufactured.

for the rest of the article.

:)Good one, Mike! I deserved that! :)

In the AOTS book, the cistern and sprocket wheel covers were clearly made of wood - the legend specifies they were elm. I don't think it would be wrong to leave the chain pumps and pump dales natural wood color. I may add some reinforcement banding to the dales for visual interest, but they weren't subject to a lot of internal pressure as elm tree pumps would have been, so they really weren't needed.83248

Mike: I found a problem with the 1:32 scale plans for the main deck framing. The main deck beams on the Part 5 plans dated 2/9/19 are about 3/8" too short in their maximum length compared to the length as shown on the main deck framing plan dated 1/1/18. Maybe I have the wrong set of plans?!?! Photos below.

error1.jpgerror2.jpg

I cut out the four beams for the main deck. The 3/8" wide and 1/4" thick. There is a discrepancy in the plans regarding the main deck beams, so I had to lengthen them to fit. I took my time fitting them in place on the main deck clamp. To make that easier, I modified the ends of the beams. According to the plans, there is a little notch that fits over the top and the face of the clamp. I eliminated the notch, leaving a "flat" - much easier to fit in place.Img_1135.jpgImg_1139.jpgmainbeams.jpgImg_1138.jpg

Is it possible that perhaps the pumps were made from lead or copper? The use of lead back then was fairly common. I will leave this here as food for thought, but came across this:
There were basically only three types of ship bilge pump used from the 1400s to the 1800s:
--burr pumps: basically a cone-shaped leather bucket that drew water up a tube
--chain pumps: a continuous chain with small burrs or buckets to catch water and pull it up, running over upper and lower sprockets
--common or “suction” pump: the earliest representation is from 1431. Use on ships was probably from sometime in late 1400s to early 1500s. The first recorded use of metal parts in ship pumps was 1526. Usually they were made entirely of wood until the late 1700s because the only tools available for boring iron tubes were those to make cannon. In 1712, the first practical steam engine was invented by Newcomen. A steam engine needed the piston and cylinder in very tight tolerances. Initially made by hand, ground and filed…further developments in boring machines were needed before steam could progress, and it wasn’t until those machines were made that all-metal pumps could be manufactured.

for the rest of the article.
Ahrrr. Eric. I new I could count on you to come up with a history lesson for us. Pirate FlagShip-1

Back