HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

piter56

Blandford Group Build

I have not started my build yet but have downloaded the plans material and have been checking it out. I've also been reading all of the great build logs. I was especially interested in the comments in this post regarding Cannons. I have a lathe but am not sure that I can turn two Cannons that are duplicates. I do have a 3D Printer and investigated 3D Cannons. I found a number of objects that are already developed and free to use. I've attached a Cannon that I printed off that took be approximately 30 minutes to print. It took less than a meter of filament to print it. Cannon 1 is as it came off of the printer. Cannon 2 is as it was after I cleaned it up and sprayed it with primer. Cannon 3 is after I coated it with a medal simulating coating that I got at Michaels and Cannon 4 is after I painted it with a coat of flat black.

When I get started on my build I will probably use this as my Cannons.

And where can I find the files to print?

Pawley

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

For everybody interested in the the original ship HMS Blandford, launched in 1720

please take a look in our area "Ship History and Research"

where we posted a Topic about the Blandford and the 1719 Establishment 20-gun frigates with contemporary models and drawings

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-blandford-1720-20-gun-frigate-based-on-the-1719-establishment.2848/

Here you can find additional technical data of the class, information about sisterships, original drawings from the shipyards, contemporary models, and a book review of Peter Goodwins Anatomy of Ships series of this ship

Norway

Hi again, MIKE, I was wondering if you could tell me how to create a log of HMS BLANDFORD.
Are there any special guidelines to follow ----?

I have now got order of all the drawings, started by making the construction jig, collecting materials, made a spindle sander.
Frames and beams are made of birch, deck, planking, whales and other details become holly.

KNUT

eric61

Hi Knut, I can help you out. Go to the Blandford Cross Section Build in FORUMS and click on it, at the very top of the page should be a picture of you along side a wide "bar" with "Thread Title" in it. Click inside the bar and write your title such as Knut's Blandford Build.
And that basically is it, this also applies to a build log in any category, Enjoy and look forward to your build.

Norway

Thanks for the tips ERIC and ZOLTAN.

I'm still in the planning phase, got hold of a plank that was supposed to be cherry-?
I will make a sample-frame of this, if the test result is good I will use this for frames, beams and lower planking.
As you can see, some drawings in the wood, If i can avoid these, I hope the result will be usable.
When all the materials are in order I will start my build log

kirsebær (1).jpgkirsebær (6).jpgkirsebær (9).jpg

KNUT

DocBlake

Blandford Group Build

Mike: When did you glue the well and shot locker in place? I would assume it best to glue bean 2 in place first, and position the well/locker relative to that.

DocBlake

Blandford Group Build

Thanks Mike! I just fit the hanging knees #2 and #5. Slow progress, but I want to do it right. My only conscious “error” is making the ledges just as thick as the carlings to avoid cutting those half mortises.

Norway

Mike, can you give me the measurements on the keel's height and width in (mm), I build 1-32 scale ?. I usually measure straight from the drawings,
But want to have the keel properly to get a completely accurate start.
As the material lists are not in (mm) I will make the parts as they are before to be mounted.
Had the material lists that followed with the plans hosted (mm) it had been easily.
I have no idea how to convert from inshes to (mm).
Thank you very much

DocBlake

Blandford Group Build

Mike: In your build log you mentioned that if there was enough interest, you might post the details of several methods to create scratch-built gratings. Well, I'm at the grating stage in the build and VERY interested. I'd like to scratch-build my own. Any chance you could post the topic as a tutorial? Thanks!!

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

Hi Dave, you mentioned in your log that you were going to use Holly for your decking, I too am going to use Holly, the last time I used it it got very dirty and had a hard time cleaning it up, what do you use to keep it clean during construction. THANKS Don