HMS Enterprize 1/96 by Modelship Dockyard

UGH ! This is why many people trial fit the frames before they start using glue. What did you use to glue them with? Would it be easier to remove them and fix them rather than order all new? PVA can be un-glued with a heat gun pretty easy.

Regardless, she is looking great !

Jeff

The funny thing is I did trial fit them, multiple times. The missing frames just turned out to be slightly too thick as the previous frames slid a little when being glued. I used wood glue, I considered trying to take them off but given how fragile the cant frames are, I've already broken probably 8 of them, I'm just going to try and slow down the two final frames.

Solid progress being made. I was able to repair almost all of the broken cant frames and have been gluing in rib sections moving bow to stern.

20240602_001041.jpg

20240602_001120.jpg

20240602_001142.jpg

I've been working on the inner shape as I glue, so I'm getting some nice alignment now. It's been a combination of sanding sticks, sanding paper, and the proxxon handheld which lets me sand at a 90°. Still some more shaping to be done internally but it's looking better and better. My goal is glue all of the frames in, then finishing shaping and reinforcing. I'm gluing some of the extra .5 mm pieces in between frames to make the hull sturdier for sanding later. Once all frames are in place and everything is it's proper shape I'll frame the stern.

20240602_231237.jpg

20240602_001052.jpg

20240602_231251.jpg

It is great to see a fully framed model such as yours. One thing that stands out that you might want to consider is tapering the knee of the had. If this is the Enterprize (28) 1774 it would taper from 11.5 inches at the top at the stem to 4 inches at the forepart at the upper end. This probably varied a bit, but these are the dimensions given in folio XLVIII of David Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. This tapering also prevents the figure head from having to be bowlegged. :)
Allan

Back