HMS Fly Build (Amati) 1:64 by Nomad

Very nice work. I am disappointed though about the state of perpetual black-out on your Fly, honestly, I expected beautifully crafted windows with the soft glow of some candlelights shining through.
A retrofit is in order...
Yes sir, right away sir! Message understood ... no perpetual black-out, soft glow candlelights, romantic ambience, full re-fit. I'll get onto it yesterday, Captain!

I have discovered that rigging tiny little gun carriages is not a job for the faint-hearted, or certainly not the impatient, and I question now my wisdom in opting for the Fly 'upgrade' kit and all its gun carriage parts instead of simply using the original kit's all-in-one cast metal pieces. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. The wooden carriages had at least been assembled earlier on in the build, and now require the hardware necessary to rig them to the gun deck. 28-gauge black wire is used to strop the tiny 2mm blocks, six of which are required for each carriage. Later on, the .25mm rope will be used for the in- and out-haul tackle and the thicker .7mm beige rope will be used for the breeching lines.

0775_20230504_hms_fly.jpg

The copper eyebolts have an inner diameter of 1mm which helps to keep the scale of the tiny gun carriages in perspective, and are painted black to match the colour of the strops and general colour scheme of the carriage. Ten eyebolts are required per gun and care was taken to position each one appropriately in readiness for the rigging ropes later on.

0780_20230504_hms_fly.jpg

Eight carriages down, eight to go. It took hours to get this far, and I am very tempted to rig only those guns that will ultimately be visible on the gun deck. Not sure you would have got away with that in the Royal Navy back in the day, so I might just go full monty and rig the whole lot.

0785_20230504_hms_fly.jpg

The cannons are placed loosely on the carriages for now. They will be one of the final items of the gun ensemble to be fixed in place, by fitting impossibly small capsquares over the trunnions, once the carriages and all their attendant rigging is ready to go.

0790_20230504_hms_fly.jpg

Last edited:
I have discovered that rigging tiny little gun carriages is not a job for the faint-hearted, or certainly not the impatient, and I question now my wisdom in opting for the Fly 'upgrade' kit and all its gun carriage parts instead of simply using the original kit's all-in-one cast metal pieces. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. The wooden carriages had at least been assembled earlier on in the build, and now require the hardware necessary to rig them to the gun deck. 28-gauge black wire is used to strop the tiny 2mm blocks, six of which are required for each carriage. Later on, the .25mm rope will be used for the in- and out-haul tackle and the thicker .7mm beige rope will be used for the breeching lines.

View attachment 372724

The copper eyebolts have an inner diameter of 1mm which helps to keep the scale of the tiny gun carriages in perspective, and are painted black to match the colour of the strops and general colour scheme of the carriage. Ten eyebolts are required per gun and care was taken to position each one appropriately in readiness for the rigging ropes later on.

View attachment 372725

Eight carriages down, eight to go. It took hours to get this far, and I am very tempted to rig only those guns that will ultimately be visible on the gun deck. Not sure you would have got away with that in the Royal Navy back in the day, so I might just go full monty and rig the whole lot.

View attachment 372726

The cannons are placed loosely on the carriages for now. They will be one of the final items of the gun ensemble to be fixed in place, by fitting impossibly small capsquares over the trunnions, once the carriages and all their attendant rigging is ready to go.

View attachment 372727
Good morning Mark. Looking spot on. Placing the capsquires for the trunnions are always a mission for myself so good luck. Very nice detail. A question. are you going to cut/file down the length of the trunnions to lie flush with the carriages. If so, I would do this before placing the capsquires or the painting will be mission. You are making a brilliant HMS Fly Mark. Cheers Grant

Good morning Mark. Looking spot on. Placing the capsquires for the trunnions are always a mission for myself so good luck. Very nice detail. A question. are you going to cut/file down the length of the trunnions to lie flush with the carriages. If so, I would do this before placing the capsquires or the painting will be mission. You are making a brilliant HMS Fly Mark. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. I never really thought about filing the trunnions to be honest, didn't know it was a thing. Will look further into that, thanks for the heads-up. Of course, any modification has to be multiplied by sixteen every time. How many guns did you have on Victory? I can't even begin to imagine rigging all the guns on a ship of the line Redface

Thanks Grant. I never really thought about filing the trunnions to be honest, didn't know it was a thing. Will look further into that, thanks for the heads-up. Of course, any modification has to be multiplied by sixteen every time. How many guns did you have on Victory? I can't even begin to imagine rigging all the guns on a ship of the line Redface
Good morning Mark. Luckily most of my guns were dummy guns. I only had 22 to make but I did not add too much detail as only 8 are visible and rigged. I remember Sasha and Jim (I think) showed me that the trunnions must lie flush with the carriage. It does finish the cannons off nicely. Cheers Grant

Four ringbolts are required to attach a single gun ensemble to the hull, two on either side of each gunport opening. A template helps to keep each hole equidistant in relation to the deck and consistent with all the other gunports across the length of the ship.

0795_20230530_hms_fly.jpg

The inhaul and outhaul tackle lines are rigged with 2mm blocks and demanded a bit more of my wandering attention-span to ensure that they were all rigged identically.

0800_20230530_hms_fly.jpg

The length of the breeching line is imperative - about three times the length of the gun bore - to flow seamlessly around the gun carriage and loop over the cascabel. The tackle ropes are yet to be laid off in neat little coils on deck.

0805_20230530_hms_fly.jpg

Tiny things, these little gun carriage assemblies. I highly recommend a good magnifying glass lamp when doing this type of work for the sake of your eyesight and ongoing sanity :)

0810_20230530_hms_fly.jpg

One gun down, just a few more to go. Luckily the Fly only has sixteen of them. I am still haunted by the words that Paul (@dockattner) posted on this blog a little while ago...
For some reason I found rigging the guns with blocks/hooks to be marvelously frustrating and it took all the patience I could muster just to do 16. Kurt (@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS) is my hero as he is attempting EVERY gun fully rigged on his Sovereign. If I tried that they would need to clean the carpets to get all the scattered brain matter out of it...

0815_20230530_hms_fly.jpg

Thanks for checking in :)

Four ringbolts are required to attach a single gun ensemble to the hull, two on either side of each gunport opening. A template helps to keep each hole equidistant in relation to the deck and consistent with all the other gunports across the length of the ship.

View attachment 376925

The inhaul and outhaul tackle lines are rigged with 2mm blocks and demanded a bit more of my wandering attention-span to ensure that they were all rigged identically.

View attachment 376926

The length of the breeching line is imperative - about three times the length of the gun bore - to flow seamlessly around the gun carriage and loop over the cascabel. The tackle ropes are yet to be laid off in neat little coils on deck.

View attachment 376927

Tiny things, these little gun carriage assemblies. I highly recommend a good magnifying glass lamp when doing this type of work for the sake of your eyesight and ongoing sanity :)

View attachment 376928

One gun down, just a few more to go. Luckily the Fly only has sixteen of them. I am still haunted by the words that Paul (@dockattner) posted on this blog a little while ago...

View attachment 376929

Good morning Mark. Wow- excellent. Good to see you playing with your Fly again…(sounds weird ROTF). Awesome tip to create a stencil. I will use this from now on. Cheers Grant

View attachment 376925

View attachment 376926

View attachment 376927

View attachment 376928

View attachment 376929

Very weel build and completely correct Rigged -uk rig.

View attachment 376925

View attachment 376926

View attachment 376927

View attachment 376928

View attachment 376929

Yup. I just broke out in hives looking at your photo of rigged guns...

View attachment 376925

View attachment 376926

View attachment 376927

View attachment 376928

View attachment 376929

Nice and fine detailed rigging on the cannons, Mark.

Very weel build and completely correct Rigged -uk rig.
Thanks El Capi, appreciated. There are a few shortcomings however, such as the axles not rounded off and the trunnions not entirely flush with the carriage cheeks. But I'm happy enough with this first attempt and quite enjoyed the process, my main aim being to get the rigging right and consistent across all of the guns. In future builds I may consider better quality cannons and additional work to the carriage hardware :)

Thanks El Capi, appreciated. There are a few shortcomings however, such as the axles not rounded off and the trunnions not entirely flush with the carriage cheeks. But I'm happy enough with this first attempt and quite enjoyed the process, my main aim being to get the rigging right and consistent across all of the guns. In future builds I may consider better quality cannons and additional work to the carriage hardware :)
do not try to be perfect with the first one, what to do after then. I have more than 50 years on my back, long before laser cuts, drawing programs, computers etc. have built in my time more than 30 ships. below the ship i felt in love with. between the pics 40 years

03_NORSKE LOVE.jpg

02 Norske love 2.jpg

do not try to be perfect with the first one, what to do after then. I have more than 50 years on my back, long before laser cuts, drawing programs, computers etc. have built in my time more than 30 ships. below the ship i felt in love with. between the pics 40 years

View attachment 377118

View attachment 377119
N01 1991-1TH LASER GUT FROM BILLING BOAT

-SECOND 1921- RESTORRING. THE ORIGINAL WAS FROM 1973

Back