HMS Fly Build (Amati) 1:64 by Nomad

Hi Mark,

Catching up on a few builds. Very nice work on the bowsprit and masts. Like the use of tape for the bands, looks very effective.
My build has stalled again, I've just been too busy to spend time in the shipyard but I am hoping to get things underway again soon and I will post an update.

Dom

thicker .7mm beige rope will be used for the breeching lines.

View attachment 372724

The copper eyebolts have an inner diameter of 1mm which helps to keep the scale of the tiny gun carriages in perspective, and are painted black to match the colour of the strops and general colour scheme of the carriage. Ten eyebolts are required per gun and care was taken to position each one appropriately in readiness for the rigging ropes later on.

Hi Mark, where did you soucre the 1mm copper eye pins? I can't find any that small. I've got 1.8mm inside but they look a bit big on the carriage. Also the 0.7mm breeching line, haven't looked yet but assume that's easier to find.
Many thanks,
Rob

Hi Mark, where did you soucre the 1mm copper eye pins? I can't find any that small. I've got 1.8mm inside but they look a bit big on the carriage. Also the 0.7mm breeching line, haven't looked yet but assume that's easier to find.
Many thanks,
Rob
Hello Ausierob, HiSmodel in Czeck Republik has all sorts of etched eyelets and other great parts of many sizes. Here is an example: Eyelets

Hi Mark,

Catching up on a few builds. Very nice work on the bowsprit and masts. Like the use of tape for the bands, looks very effective.
My build has stalled again, I've just been too busy to spend time in the shipyard but I am hoping to get things underway again soon and I will post an update.

Dom
Hi Dom, thanks for the compliments. I'm on an extended holiday in South Africa at the moment so all work on my HMS Fly is also sadly on hold for now.

Coincidentally, we stayed at a resort handsomely named The Cutty Sark during our stay, complete with artefacts that hinted at ties with its namesake in Greenwich, and I took a photo of this model in the reception area (a rather ordinary replica, it must be said) knowing that I would send it to you at some point to remind you of your priorities :)

20240606_103432.jpg

Many thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob, I couldn't find anything locally either. The copper eyebolts I got from Cornwall Model Boats, although they are 2mm, not 1mm. I couldn't find anything smaller. The breeching line I got from Ropes of Scale. Both had about a 7-10 day turnaround to Oz. I hope this helps!

Hi Dom, thanks for the compliments. I'm on an extended holiday in South Africa at the moment so all work on my HMS Fly is also sadly on hold for now.

Coincidentally, we stayed at a resort handsomely named The Cutty Sark during our stay, complete with artefacts that hinted at ties with its namesake in Greenwich, and I took a photo of this model in the reception area (a rather ordinary replica, it must be said) knowing that I would send it to you at some point to remind you of your priorities :)

View attachment 452171
Very appropriate and it even has it's stuns'ls up! I have a few days free next week with nothing planned so I am going to spend sometime in the shipyard and try to make a bit of progress (we'll see - best laid plans and all that).

Have a great holiday!

View attachment 452171
Good afternoon Mark. Ahh I see you on the KZN South Coast. I'm a little late checking this out so you may have returned to AUS. Hope you enjoyed/enjoying your stay in SA. You coming to CTN? Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Mark. Ahh I see you on the KZN South Coast. I'm a little late checking this out so you may have returned to AUS. Hope you enjoyed/enjoying your stay in SA. You coming to CTN? Cheers Grant
Howzit Grant! Yes, I'm here on the KZN South Coast catching up with family and the elusive sardine run :). Would have loved to include Cape Town into this trip but the usual things (time, money) got in the way, or the lack of them anyway. Hopefully next time. We did spend some time at the Kruger National this time though, and the highlight of my holiday was coming across this magnificent leopard draped casually across the limb of a passing tree, something I'd never seen in the wild before...

20240611_065053.jpg

Unreal. But if I do eventually make it over to Cape Town one day rest assured you'll be among the first to know Thumbsup

Howzit Grant! Yes, I'm here on the KZN South Coast catching up with family and the elusive sardine run :). Would have loved to include Cape Town into this trip but the usual things (time, money) got in the way, or the lack of them anyway. Hopefully next time. We did spend some time at the Kruger National this time though, and the highlight of my holiday was coming across this magnificent leopard draped casually across the limb of a passing tree, something I'd never seen in the wild before...

View attachment 452698

Unreal. But if I do eventually make it over to Cape Town one day rest assured you'll be among the first to know Thumbsup
Good afternoon Mark. Wow stunning pic of the a Leopard. Lucky . I’ve never seen one in the Kruger (4 trips) however have seen a couple on my bike rides. Yep it is mandatory to come to Melkbosstrand when you next in Cape Town.

With my first build Bluenose II under the belt I thought I'd go for broke and have a crack at Amati's HMS Fly, a 1:64 scale model of the sixth-rate Swan Class ship rigged sloop that was originally built in 1776. It is a magnificent looking ship and it was a picture of the HMS Fly that drew me into the world of ship modelling in the first place.

We'll see how it goes. But I'll start off this build the easy way, by unloading the contents of the box in a series of photos below. There is a YouTube video called First Impressions, Victory models HMS Fly that presents Amati's HMS Fly in a far more professional manner than I could muster, and well worth watching if you are interested in this model.

View attachment 306379

View attachment 306380

View attachment 306381

View attachment 306382

View attachment 306383

View attachment 306384

View attachment 306385

View attachment 306386
Hallo @Nomad
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day