Caf Model - New Kit HMS Granado 1742 Kit

Hi @Bryian,

Does this kit require the split hull? It looks like the frames and stem/sternpost are pre-sectioned? Or maybe I'm missing something? Thanks much!

Hi Paul, I am not Bryian :) , but I think I can help with your question.

The kit was designed to split the hull. It is up to you if you take the challenge of building it in 2 sections or just glue both sections.

To better understand this, take a look to this thread were the topic is discussed on page 1 and 2.

Thread 'CAF HMS Granado 1:48 POF' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/caf-hms-granado-1-48-pof.8649/

Cheers
Daniel

So, if I understand you both - the kit comes with the frames (etc.) already cut into upper and lower portions - but the builder can choose to glue them together keeping the hull in one piece? Thanks for dialoging with me on this - I am considering several different POF kits for my next build and want to understand more about this particular (crazy impressive) kit...

So, if I understand you both - the kit comes with the frames (etc.) already cut into upper and lower portions - but the builder can choose to glue them together keeping the hull in one piece? Thanks for dialoging with me on this - I am considering several different POF kits for my next build and want to understand more about this particular (crazy impressive) kit...

Yes !!! Correct !!!

Best
Daniel

Hello, Mon Amie. The below image should give you an idea of how the hull is split should you choose to accept this method of assembly.

1638843320274.png

and it is not only a "simple cut" of the frames - there are the futtocks separated from the top timbers. Like the real ship the separation of the upper part is produced by the separation of the frame elements
if you take a closer look you can recognize this - in my opinion a great idea - I will try this and plan to separate my hul parts
1638843320274.png

Thank you gentlemen. I get it now. The hull splits at natural locations in the framing. Brilliant engineering that will require some very carefully thought through 'bracing' so the whole thing doesn't crumble into a heap of kindling. This one might be outside of my skill set for a first POF build.

Sorry for the off-topic Bryian.

Thank you gentlemen. I get it now. The hull splits at natural locations in the framing. Brilliant engineering that will require some very carefully thought through 'bracing' so the whole thing doesn't crumble into a heap of kindling. This one might be outside of my skill set for a first POF build.

When you start once with POF - maybe you will never want to make a POB anymore.
When not a complete hull, why not a section model like the Granado or Bonhomme Richard - and aftwards this one.
You have absolutely the capability and experience also for this one.... believe me

As Uwek said, you will be more than capable of doing this ship.

These POF kits made by CAF and others Chinese builders are easier to build than a few of the POB that you find around. Your Vasa is an example of a difficult POB and you are doing it fantastically well.

Nevertheless, I had the same thoughts as you. I was really afraid of these POF kits. So I started with a cheap one and very pretty to me "the Marmara Trade Boat". I succeed on its built. Then I jumped to the Pegasus. That kit almost do not have any instructions, did it by pictures of other modelers and plans from the Utrecht. And all went well. You saw my builts. My skills, compared with yours, are of a kindergarten kid. So there is absolutely no doubt that you will succeed on any of these POF.

Now, decide what would be the POF kit ship that you would like to see for years to come in your house, and go for it.

Cheers !!
Daniel
BTW: on the built link I posted for you, you have pictures (on page 1) on how the ribs are kept together during the construction of this particular POF from CAF.

As Uwek said, you will be more than capable of doing this ship.

These POF kits made by CAF and others Chinese builders are easier to build than a few of the POB that you find around. Your Vasa is an example of a difficult POB and you are doing it fantastically well.

Nevertheless, I had the same thoughts as you. I was really afraid of these POF kits. So I started with a cheap one and very pretty to me "the Marmara Trade Boat". I succeed on its built. Then I jumped to the Pegasus. That kit almost do not have any instructions, did it by pictures of other modelers and plans from the Utrecht. And all went well. You saw my builts. My skills, compared with yours, are of a kindergarten kid. So there is absolutely no doubt that you will succeed on any of these POF.

Now, decide what would be the POF kit ship that you would like to see for years to come in your house, and go for it.

Cheers !!
Daniel
BTW: on the built link I posted for you, you have pictures (on page 1) on how the ribs are kept together during the construction of this particular POF from CAF.
I can underline these words completely.
Maybe to add one more sentence:
Making frames and the structure with beams knees etc. for a POF is according my opinion more wood working and maybe more "shipwright work" than with a POB.
And enjoy the hundreds of hours with the pure working with wood - so invest in a model with high quality wood - you will enjoy every hour
and it is a very good way to come into scratch POF - building
So Paul, order this or such a kit - you will enjoy the work on such a model like the Granado

Making frames and the structure with beams knees etc. for a POF is according my opinion more wood working and maybe more "shipwright work" than with a POB.
And enjoy the hundreds of hours with the pure working with wood - so invest in a model with high quality wood - you will enjoy every hour
So Paul, order this or such a kit - you will enjoy the work on such a model like the Granado
Thank you Uwe and Daniel. Yes, I will make my next build POF. I actually like the woodworking part most of all and I think I will have many hours of enjoyment if I select the right kit. I thank you both for the counsel (and again, Bryian, my apologies for taking your build report down this rabbit hole).

Dear friends, I can only emphasize this assessment. Working with wood is simply the greatest thing, it is immensely satisfying and you can spend hours doing it, that absolutely speaks for POF, but a beautiful model built as a POB also has its value and I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Thank you Uwe and Daniel. Yes, I will make my next build POF. I actually like the woodworking part most of all and I think I will have many hours of enjoyment if I select the right kit. I thank you both for the counsel (and again, Bryian, my apologies for taking your build report down this rabbit hole).
This is not Brian’s log,actually Caf’s development tooix

BOY YOU GUYS ARE TEMPTING ME WITH THIS ONE BUT RIGHT NOW STICKINGB TO MY GUNS AT THIS POINT I THINK I AM NOT READY FOR THIS ONE BUT WILL GET THE X SECTION I THINK I HAVE COME A LONG WAY IN MY CRAFTSMANSHIP SINCE STARYTING THE HARBOR DREDGE 10 MOS AGOWHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Don, I think you can do the full model, it’s the same as three cross sections put together :) - really, it’s more work and repetition but the same skills are needed for a cross section build, plus you have all the help on here to guide you as well. Something to think about….

Back