HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Friends, many thanks for the kind words, comments and all the likes received

Some more "dirty" planking - starting with these planks I decided to make the treenailing afterwards in situ
You can recognize the small steps where the thickness of the planks is getting "thicker" from 1mm to 2mm and 2,5mm
After completion of the planking installation these steps have to be sanded down smoothly, so that the thickness of the planking is growing linear

IMG-9057.jpg

The change of the plank thickness is visible here

IMG-9056.jpg

IMG-9058.jpg

I'm fascinated by the changing thickness of the hull planks. If I could ask - was this a standard building practice? Universally?
Yes, that was very often done in this way, but often not executed on models, because it is only visible in cut off models or sections.

The thickest planks on a hull are the wales - downwards the planks were getting thinner - take a look at contemporary cross sections or drawings f.e. from Boudriot etc. you can realize this....
their task was the stiffening of the complete structure mainly against torsion and (I do not know now exactly the correct term) against the forces, when the ship is falling down from a wave and the bow (and the stern) is hitting against the water - In german we say "stampfen".
In addition: Thicker planks above the water were also helping against hits by cannon balls -> therefore the term "wooden walls"

One more argument for this section model by CAF ......

Yes, that was very often done in this way, but often not executed on models, because it is only visible in cut off models or sections.

The thickest planks on a hull are the wales - downwards the planks were getting thinner - take a look at contemporary cross sections or drawings f.e. from Boudriot etc. you can realize this....
their task was the stiffening of the complete structure mainly against torsion and (I do not know now exactly the correct term) against the forces, when the ship is falling down from a wave and the bow (and the stern) is hitting against the water - In german we say "stampfen".
In addition: Thicker planks above the water were also helping against hits by cannon balls -> therefore the term "wooden walls"

One more argument for this section model by CAF ......
Thank you, Uwe, for taking the time to teach me this new thing.

one closeup photo of the planking works - I wanted to show, that I made the wales with coppernails, all other planks are wooden treenails

IMG-9082.jpg

finished nailing - in the meantime I also fitted the three small sweep port lids

IMG-9099.jpg

afterwards the sanding of the hull planking was done in order to get rid off the steps of different planking thickness

IMG-9106.jpg

IMG-9109.jpg

IMG-9110.jpg

step by step the hull planking is coming out nicely

IMG-9112.jpg

IMG-9111.jpg

IMG-9119.jpg

IMG-9117.jpg

IMG-9122.jpg

one closeup photo of the planking works - I wanted to show, that I made the wales with coppernails, all other planks are wooden treenails

View attachment 292440

finished nailing - in the meantime I also fitted the three small sweep port lids

View attachment 292441

afterwards the sanding of the hull planking was done in order to get rid off the steps of different planking thickness

View attachment 292442

View attachment 292443

View attachment 292444

step by step the hull planking is coming out nicely

View attachment 292446

View attachment 292445

View attachment 292448

View attachment 292447

View attachment 292449
Nice to see that you are at the same stage of treenailing and sanding. And to get a smooth result.
The different sizes of the planks are impressive to see.
Regards, Peter

jedno zdjęcie w zbliżeniu prac oszalowania - chciałem pokazać, że wykonałem wale z miedzianymi gwoździami, wszystkie pozostałe deski to drewniane gwoździe

View attachment 292440

skończone wbijanie gwoździ - w międzyczasie założyłem też trzy małe pokrywy portów zamiatających

View attachment 292441

następnie wykonano szlifowanie poszycia kadłuba w celu pozbycia się stopni o różnej grubości poszycia

View attachment 292442

View attachment 292443

View attachment 292444

krok po kroku poszycie kadłuba ładnie wychodzi

View attachment 292446

View attachment 292445

View attachment 292448

View attachment 292447

View attachment 292449
Witaj
Wyglądał świetnie fajnie widać grubość poszycia
pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
It looked great nice you can see the thickness of the plating
kind regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo friends,
many many thanks for your kind words, comments and all the likes received - much appreciated

we had once the discussion about the planking pattern on the deck and I mentioned at this time, that I tried to follow as much as possible the shown pattern shown by Good win in the Anatomy book.
The same I am trying to follow for the hull planking

Marked with the red line, is appr. the area of the section model - on this sketch he is not showing all the treenails, they hsould be on every frame

IMG-91401.jpg

like shown here - the planks are fixed on every double frame with two nails

IMG-9143.jpg

after the planking was finished also the head rail was scratched and installed, also the two small vertical fender

IMG-9134.jpg

IMG-9135.jpg

Also in Goodwins book is the detail of the sweeo port lids shown - I will isnatll the hinches later on, but the inner eyebolt with ring is clearly visible

IMG-9144.jpg

IMG-9145.jpg

installed lids - view from inboard

IMG-9146.jpg

view from outside

IMG-9149.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued .....

Clean planking, like the rest of Your build.

Are the planking strips in different thicknesses provided in the kit or did You make Your own planks?

Take a look at this post, where I described it "somehow"

The kit is providing planking in different thickness steps of 1mm, 2mm, 2,5mm and 3mm

These different planking thickness you can recognize at the installed planking. In the following marked with red and green arrows

IMG-9057.jpg IMG-9058.jpg

when all the planking is installed these steps have to be sanded down, so that the f.e. the 2mm planking has to be sanded down at the red arrow area to 1mm, at the green arrow they have still the 2mm. With this you are getting a smooth transition in the thickness of the planking

So to answer finally your question: I completely used the planks provided in the kit.....

Many Thanks for your interest in my log

Sorry I made You repeat yourself, I must have missed that somehow. This really shows how well the research has been done. I really like this kit more and more.

Sorry I made You repeat yourself, I must have missed that somehow. This really shows how well the research has been done. I really like this kit more and more.
I can really recommend this kit
It is very special and is providing several new developments ...... a lot of hours fun working on this model

Dear friends,
once more many thanks for coming by and making kind comments and likes

step by step ......

two cleats have to be installed inboard

IMG-9147.jpg

IMG-9148.jpg

also the sills etc. for the gun and sweep ports on the other side were installed and roughly sanded

IMG-9153.jpg

IMG-9154.jpg

On the rails on both sides we can see the fish david cleat at the end of the section (green arrow)

IMG-91401a.jpg

IMG-9141.jpg

They are not part of the kit, but can easily made in scratch - what is not correct, that they are located now, because of missing space, over the half length over the gunport. Usually in original they would need some additional stiffener under the cleat to take over the strong forces the anchor weight would produce...... but this is my personal adjustment and simplification. So technically the location is not completely correct.

IMG-9152.jpg

The second rail is also installed, the second cleat is missing, but you get a good impression of the status

IMG-9157.jpg

IMG-9158.jpg

Dear friends,
once more many thanks for coming by and making kind comments and likes

step by step ......

two cleats have to be installed inboard

View attachment 292941

View attachment 292942

also the sills etc. for the gun and sweep ports on the other side were installed and roughly sanded

View attachment 292944

View attachment 292945

On the rails on both sides we can see the fish david cleat at the end of the section (green arrow)

View attachment 292950

View attachment 292949

They are not part of the kit, but can easily made in scratch - what is not correct, that they are located now, because of missing space, over the half length over the gunport. Usually in original they would need some additional stiffener under the cleat to take over the strong forces the anchor weight would produce...... but this is my personal adjustment and simplification. So technically the location is not completely correct.

View attachment 292943

Druga szyna też jest zamontowana, brakuje drugiej knagi, ale masz dobre wrażenie o stanie

View attachment 292946

View attachment 292947
Witaj
Wyglądaj świetnie.
Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
You look great.
Greetings Mirek

Also the unplanked side of the section were fine-sanded and treated - so you can see the beautiful timber
You can not see it, but when you feel the surface with your fingers, modelers like us are falling in love....... OK, I love this kind of timber

the view on the framing from different angles

IMG-9202.jpg

IMG-9203.jpg

IMG-9204.jpg

Back